Espada XL G10

Alex.Y.

Gold Member
Hi, folks! I wonder if anything heard about the subject? They've been "out of stock" on CS website (and dealers' too) for too long and that's usually means it's going to change to "discontinued". Will there be new batches or it's over? Appreciate any info!

Hi, folks! I wonder if anything heard about the subject? They've been "out of stock" on CS website (and dealers' too) for too long and that's usually means it's going to change to "discontinued". Will there be new batches or it's over? Appreciate any info!
In any year, prior to the covid thing, I'd say the discontinuance thing could be very likely. But, with things the way they are now, and CS not having received many items yet that they had listed as "new for 2021", I would say the chances of that particular model going "DoDo Bird" is less likely.
I have been waiting for the Cold Steel website to finally state that their new Arkansas Toothpick is in stock, but nope, still nothing.
The Chaos Bowie is another I have waited to see if they would restock on, and nothing on that either.

I would guess that their standard deluxe version of the XL Espada would have a bigger chance of discontinuance than the more basic version of it. I say that because of the price difference. The more affordable version is likely a much better seller overall, and is likely a better product for the company's bottom line.

Last edited:
I would guess that their standard deluxe version of the XL Espada would have a bigger chance of discontinuance than the more basic version of it. I say that because of the price difference. The more affordable version is likely a much better seller overall, and is likely a better product for the company's bottom line.
I just hope that's true. Missed a chance to get one before all this mess.

wonder if a call to CS could shed light on the question?
I guess not. They won't answer on my written requests about factory defect anywhere, and I heard about their current poor service as well. Ain't gonna call from overseas and waste money to talk to some ignorant person. Maybe some locals could try and push their luck.

This is a much appreciated video about this Cold Steel gentleman's pocket folder. It seems there are no worries about the durability of the G10 scales and the triad lock.

What a Fregin Idiot, with a tip like the one on that knife what did he expect. It's a fighting type knife not a prybar type knife. Hell I bet I could break his foot with a hammer, but that's not what it's made for either.

Considering the amount of leverage a blade and handle that long can exert it's no surprise that the relatively thin stock blade and fragile tip would break easily with lateral force. It did excell and hold very strong during stabbing and chopping into a metal car hood. I always wondered if the G10 would hold up well to the impact of hard chopping. It did so without a problem in this video. The triad lock is well known so it did not surprise me that it held strong during most of the abuse and was the last thing to break. I looks like the G10 did not break throughout the ordeal.

I am wondering if a more flexible stainless steel could have been used even at the expense of edge retention, It still took all the abuse until lateral forces were applied as well as battering the blade edge full force into concrete.

It looks like a pretty tough folder provided you don't introduce too much lateral stress.

The G10 version in AUS-10 is certainly more grippy than the more expensive version with S35VN blade and polished aluminum handle/bolsters with polished G10 gip scales. I would feel much more comfortable with a more grippy handle on a knife that large. Swinging around the polished slippery version may give one an uneasy feeling, maybe rightfully so. I also wonder if the use of AUS-10 or S35VN is necessary or even the best choice for this kind of knife. Unfortunately too many people have not yet learned that so called super steel is not for every blade design

ESEE tries to explain that and despite that their super steel version of the ESEE 3 (made solely to comply with market demand) continues to be in demand. A knife the size and configuration of the ESEE 3 would make a good long edge retention slicer that is less durable in most super steels but with a huge long relatively thin stock blade such as the espada xl ,I don't know.

Last edited:
Considering the amount of leverage a blade and handle that long can exert it's no surprise that the relatively thin stock blade and fragile tip would break easily with lateral force. It did excell and hold very strong during stabbing and chopping into a metal car hood. I always wondered if the G10 would hold up well to the impact of hard chopping. It did so without a problem in this video. The triad lock is well known so it did not surprise me that it held strong during most of the abuse and was the last thing to break. I looks like the G10 did not break throughout the ordeal.

I am wondering if a more flexible stainless steel could have been used even at the expense of edge retention, It still took all the abuse until lateral forces were applied as well as battering the blade edge full force into concrete.

It looks like a pretty tough folder provided you don't introduce too much lateral stress.

The G10 version in AUS-10 is certainly more grippy than the more expensive version with S35VN blade and polished aluminum handle/bolsters with polished G10 gip scales. I would feel much more comfortable with a more grippy handle on a knife that large. Swinging around the polished slippery version may give one an uneasy feeling, maybe rightfully so. I also wonder if the use of AUS-10 or S35VN is necessary or even the best choice for this kind of knife. Unfortunately too many people have not yet learned that so called super steel is not for every blade design

ESEE tries to explain that and despite that their super steel version of the ESEE 3 (made solely to comply with market demand) continues to be in demand. A knife the size and configuration of the ESEE 3 would make a good long edge retention slicer that is less durable in most super steels but with a huge long relatively thin stock blade such as the espada xl ,I don't know.
The AUS-10a version is also thinner blade stock than the S35VN version, so that one is thicker, with thicker scales, as well as a tougher steel. This is the knife that held like 750lbs of free hanging weight. And, S35VN isn't Maxamet, it's not just gonna snap on ya. Tougher than S30V.

I have three Espada XLs, my fancy one I think is before GSM, and I am not sure about the AUS-10s, both were bought after GSM takeover, both this year, but one came in the "old" sliding box, whereas the new one I recently picked up is in a stationary box that you slide out. All tooling and factories still the same so quality the same, so far. I would really like one of the old CTS-XHP models, that seemed like a good steel for this, but I'd really love it in Cruwear, or 3V.

Last edited:
Back