Recommendation? ESSE or Survive! or ...?

I'm looking for a good modern everyday survival/chore/camping knife. Initially, I was looking at the ESSE 4 in the Dark Earth color or Desert Tan. Reading various forum posts and internet articles, along with some YouTube reviews, I began to reconsider my options and budget. While Survive! would cost ~2.5 times as much, I'd rather save up for the right knife and have no regrets about settling for a lesser knife as I have been down this road a time or two with other knife purchases long ago. Finally, I'm not looking for a safe queen or an investment for collecting, I'm after a real 'user'.

I find a 5" knife fits my needs real well. In the past something 7" or more just didn't see much action because it was in my toy box and not on my belt. Less than 4" just isn't enough for me in my rural setting on the farm for everyday use.

I'm not overly knowledgeable about the Survive! GSO series but, I believe the GSO 4.7 became the GSO 5.1 which is the GSO 6 without the finger choil. Do they make a ~5" knife without the finger choil?

How would you compare the ESSE equivalents to the Survive! knives? I'm not a "super steel snob" and have some 1095 knives that work well for me. 3V or 20CV is better but, not $100~$150 better. I'm liking the spearpoint but, have mixed feelings about the saber ground blade having found a true flat grind works better for me in general.

On the flip side, I could buy a couple ESSE fixed blades and an Izula for the Survive! pricepoint so, I'd have a 4" knife for days I don't need the big one and obviously have the big one when I need to tackle more substantial tasks (with prior knowledge).

What say the RKI's about my Survive! vs. ESSE quandry? Am I missing something else? I should note, Bark River builds a good knife but, it's just not my thing in this role.

TIA,
Sid

I don’t have any experience with Survive knives, but Esee is is one of my favorite knife companies. They have the best warranty in the business. I have several Esee knives and have never been disappointed. If you are looking for value, another great company is the
Ka-Bar/Becker line. A BK16 is about the same size as an Esee 4 but even less expensive. They also have a great warranty. These brands however are not going to be favorites of the steel snobs on here. :D

Meaning Survive! knives aren't available?
sort of. there is a closed forum here and at the top the owner of this site made a statement.

think rowen is still making esee and they've always done a pretty darn good job in my experiences with a handful of them more than a few years back when I got mine.

If you know 1095 works well for you then go with whichever one you like the most and can justify the price for. Design/shape wise, they all work just fine. The new esee 4hm looks real good. Becker is also good.

Beckers are a great value ... and you could get more than one knife for the money ... I would recommend you look at LT Wright and Battle Horse Knives ... slightly higher priced ... but extremely well made knives ... several models , sizes, and some offered in different steels ... from 01 or A2 to AEB-L and 3V ...

Get the one with the best ergonomics for your hand and how you use the knife. They are both fine knives

I can assure you even if you buy the GSO you will find something else that will turn your head. Guardian 4 or 5, Bark River Knives, Ontario RAT 3, the Ranger series from OKC. Something.

I can tell you that GSO has had problems keeping up with demand in the past. You might have some problems finding one.

Look at the Carothers EDC 2 and their Field Knife. Amazing set of knives.

Bradford in M390 or 3V would be my first choice, and the ESEE second. They are both great at what they do. Buy one of each!

+1 on the Bradford knives, also check out the cold steel AK-47 fixed blade in 3V if your looking in the 5" range. Fallkniven makes good stuff as well.

look at the stainless 14c28n Mora Garberg, or, for a non-stainless tough as nails blade for about half the $, the Terava Jaaka in 80crv2 (choose a 4.3" or 5.5" blade)
(each of these are under $100)

good vid on them...

Last edited:
Based on what I have seen in the feedback forum there is little chance that you will get a new survive knife in a reasonable time frame without drama. You may be able to find one used. I would suggest that you don't buy any knife based on spec alone. Pick one that you have handled that works for you.

I'm looking for a good modern everyday survival/chore/camping knife. Initially, I was looking at the ESSE 4 in the Dark Earth color or Desert Tan. Reading various forum posts and internet articles, along with some YouTube reviews, I began to reconsider my options and budget. While Survive! would cost ~2.5 times as much, I'd rather save up for the right knife and have no regrets about settling for a lesser knife as I have been down this road a time or two with other knife purchases long ago. Finally, I'm not looking for a safe queen or an investment for collecting, I'm after a real 'user'.

I find a 5" knife fits my needs real well. In the past something 7" or more just didn't see much action because it was in my toy box and not on my belt. Less than 4" just isn't enough for me in my rural setting on the farm for everyday use.

I'm not overly knowledgeable about the Survive! GSO series but, I believe the GSO 4.7 became the GSO 5.1 which is the GSO 6 without the finger choil. Do they make a ~5" knife without the finger choil?

How would you compare the ESSE equivalents to the Survive! knives? I'm not a "super steel snob" and have some 1095 knives that work well for me. 3V or 20CV is better but, not $100~$150 better. I'm liking the spearpoint but, have mixed feelings about the saber ground blade having found a true flat grind works better for me in general.

On the flip side, I could buy a couple ESSE fixed blades and an Izula for the Survive! pricepoint so, I'd have a 4" knife for days I don't need the big one and obviously have the big one when I need to tackle more substantial tasks (with prior knowledge).

What say the RKI's about my Survive! vs. ESSE quandry? Am I missing something else? I should note, Bark River builds a good knife but, it's just not my thing in this role.

TIA,
Sid
If a Survive? is within your budget, take a look at Carothers, a great Maker here on the forums.

OP: the answer which you seek is already stated in your own first post! Some of our good folks on here seem to be giving you more choices without really reading or comprehending your laid out criteria!

Opting for 3V vs 1095 is not simply a matter of being a super steel snob or not but 1095 is plenty good for the utilities which you have in mind. Also if saber grind is not your thing, just skip over Survive! If for nothing else but that and never mind the fact that you can not currently and will not be able to order a 5”Blade from them in the foreseeable future! Some folks have also mentioned Carothers (full disclosure: 90% of my current fixed blades are exclusively Carothers!) but you will not be able to order any 5” knife from CPK ( Carothers trade name) till sometime in 2019. Further, if you are budget conscious as you imply, also just skip over CPK or GSO in the secondary market as they do fetch some pretty markup premiums.

In closing, if you settle on 3V then consider Bradford / LTWK and if 1095, Becker / ESSE.

xeD43gv.jpg

^ BECKERHE(S)A(I)D ;)

P.S. does Fiddleback Forge make any 4-5 inch, sub 5” production knife in 3V? If I had to guess, I’d say no but if they do, that’s another 3V alt.

Back