Essencial Gyuto 2014

Ivan Campos

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Back in 2012 I released a midtech line of kitchen knives called Essencial and now, after completelly redesigning it, here is the first finished prototype.
These will all be made of 1070 steel and will have several Brazilian woods for handles - in this case, antiqued ivory wood.
There will be at least five models in this line, including a santoku and a petty, as well as two other sizes of gyuto. By now, the only operations being outsourced are cutting the blade blanks on a laser and the rough shaping of the handle. All the rest, heat treatment, grinding, final aseembly and finish are all done by me so as midtech goes, this one has a lot of handmade in it.
Let me know what you think!

es20146001.jpg

I like the flatness of the profile; it looks like it stays very flat up until the third of the blade where it curves up to the tip. I've found that a large flat section is helpful for dicing and mincing quickly, so that one doesn't have to worry about accordion cuts.

How thin is the profile of the edge? How hard do you run the 1070?

The large flat area was a suggestion I heard from several professional cooks exactly for the reasons you stated.
These blade are about 59HRC and have a very thin edge - 0,5mm approximatelly before sharpening.

Tomorrow I'll start delivering these knives and here are two pairs I just finished, both in jacarandá violeta. The top one is for right handed users and the botton one, for lefties.

espairjv6001.jpg

esjvpairleft6001.jpg

Back