Evenheat Weirdness

Hey guys, I had something strange happen over the weekend and wanted to see if anyone had ever experienced the same or similar thing...
I was doing a heat treat on a couple of Damasteel blades and did a slow ramp (2500degF per hour) to 1400deg, 10 minute soak for equalization, then full ramp to 1960deg with a 10 min soak. At the end of the cycle my oven had swelled up so much that I had trouble opening it, additionally once it was open I couldn't get it to close securely either. There appeared to be about a 1/4" to 3/8" gap on the latch side of the door, yet the hinge side was brick to brick.
After it cooled, everything was good again. I am running an Evenheat KF-18 that has been in service for about a year.
Ive had this thing well over 2200deg before and don't recall having this issue.
Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Sorry, no idea. Definitely not a common problem. Keep us posted.
Thanks man, I just got off the phone with their tech support and he is having me check a few things...they suspect either the thermocouple or control board as Stacy mentioned above.
Definitely not normal!

My hope is it didn't destroy the coils.

What happened is the equivalent of you starting the car to warm it up on a cold winter day, and when you come out 30 minutes later you discover something went wrong with the computer or electronic throttle and it has been racing the engine at full throttle for most of that time ... not good for the engine at all.

My guess is the internal temp was 2400-2500F to do what you describe.

Agreed. thats pretty much what Jim, the tech at Evenheat had said, although it is questionable as to what the cause was.
They are going to send me a new TC and control board, hopefully that will cure the issue.

If the coils fail soon, contact them again for some new coils. They are good for keeping customers happy from what I have heard.

Back