Ever get people on the street that flip because you have a knife?

I rotate through a selection of slipjoints, large folders and fixed blades for EDC and am not bashful about using them when needed. That said, they usually stay in the pocket or sheath (usually partially covered by an untucked shirt or jacket) until they are needed. I've gotten a few comments like "that's a big knife" while using a stockman to open packaging/food in public. :rolleyes:

Funny thing is that I find I've been stopped and been told "nice knife" or been asked to see or compare knives more frequently than I've received negative attention.

I live in urban San Diego. Between my size, my shaved head, beard, my all-black wardrobe (including leather motorcycle jacket and motorcycle boots), my sinister-looking Oakley sunglasses, and my naturally angry-looking scowl, total strangers have told me, in a friendly way, that I look like a movie villain.

I openly carried a 10" fixed-blade for many years. I carried in a wide variety of stores, restaurants, etc. And not one person ever said a negative word to me about my knife. Not a random person, not an employee or manager, and none of the cops I walked past. If there ever was a negative reaction, I didn't notice, and it wasn't brought to my attention. And it's an ALL-BLACK fixed-blade, which makes it especially EVIL :eek:.

I received a few friendly inquiries about my knife, but nothing negative.

Maybe I was just lucky. Or maybe people were too afraid to say anything. Or maybe the people I crossed paths with preferred to just mind their own business and didn't consider a person merely carrying a knife to be something to freak-out over.

Yes, happened about 25 years ago in San Francisco but left an indelible impression on me. I was working as an analyst for a large investment firm. On weekends a group of us started to meet go on fitness hikes. All office workers mind you...people from finance, accounting, IT, HR and it's a large company so there are many that I've only met for the first time even after working there for several years. One day while hiking in the Marin Headlands just over the Golden Gate Bridge, we stopped for lunch. I brought several fresh peaches and took them out of my backpack to share. I also took out a standard SAK Camper to slice the peaches. Suddenly one of the girls said in a very loud voice, "That's a knife, that's a serious knife! Do you always carry a knife like that?!?" To my defense another guy replied, "It's just a Swiss Army Knife what wrong with that?" The girl then stormed away and avoided me for the rest of the day.

Moral of the story, you just never know what some people find offensive. Depends on where you live, where you work, what you do for a living, where you are, how you dress, how you behave, and the kind of people you associate with. Now days no one ever sees me carrying a knife ;)

Last edited:
Most people I work with know I have a pocket knife on me, usually a SA, Opinel, or medium sized slip joint or traditional, and they ask me to cut things for them or to borrow (that is another matter) it. Common sense wins out, I am not brandishing it trying to cut down would be Ninjas, I do strop it on card board once and awhile. If anyone ever asks why I have a knife, I simply say it is a lot safer than walking around with scissors in my pocket. It is a tool. As mentioned above, I have had a fun conversation when I ask about their knives I see them carrying. Usually a clip on the pocket or in the work clothes. It is usually brief and not when we get busy or others are waiting. Again, common sense goes a long way.

I live in lockdown France.
I carry a Para 3 spydie clipped in my trouser pocket.
No Problems here.
I live in the sticks , and as its rural , most blokes carry a knife.
When I was in UK , I did carry a small (2" Buck) locking knife. I worked in an office.

As UK laws are strict , I was aware it was not PC to carry a locker. I am an old git , so no LEO stopped me , as I did not fit the usual profile.
Going out at night in UK 20 years ago posed a problem as bouncers outside bars/pubs patrol , and frisk you before you go in , and would not let you enter if they caught you carrying anything sharp!
I Never went out much , but if I did, I left my knife in the car or at home.
The anti knife brigade are alive and well NOW in the UK.
Treasure your carry laws USA !!

I used to whip out my military in a Macdonald's before and didn't care about who got offended. I knew I was carrying legally. And besides I had our version of CCW permit and carried a pistol also. The cops wouldn't bother me about a knife. That was me a few years ago. I respect the feelings of people who get offended by "weapons" these days. It costs me nothing.

No Problems here.
When I was in UK , I did carry a small (2" Buck) locking knife. I worked in an office.

As UK laws are strict , I was aware it was not PC to carry a locker. I am an old git , so no LEO stopped me , as I did not fit the usual profile.
Going out at night in UK 20 years ago posed a problem as bouncers outside bars/pubs patrol , and frisk you before you go in , and would not let you enter if they caught you carrying anything sharp!

I was reading about knife restrictions in Australia and New Zealand, sounds just as strict.

No Problems here.

Yep. Once you allow the government to control the guns, it's not long before they control the knives also.

When we are at the shooting range with military weapons every body admires: Fal, HK G3, Garands etc
Some times one has a problem :eek:pening an ammo box I help them with my knife (Sebenza) and then it's sheer terror for a lot of guys wil immediately "retreat"

When we are at the shooting range with military weapons every body admires: Fal, HK G3, Garands etc
Some times one has a problem :eek:pening an ammo box I help them with my knife (Sebenza) and then it's sheer terror for a lot of guys wil immediately "retreat"

That is funny, with all the military weapons around. In other nations, it is hard for me to believe that a SA would be considered a weapon, they are just so useful.

I havent had much issue at all. I carry what I want and my part of the country is pretty chill on knives and guns.

I did have one run in about 16 years ago. My future wife and I were buying our first car before we got married. A slightly used Honda Civic. Two 24 year olds with jobs and excellent credit on the used car lot joining the new car lot of a Honda dealership. Nothing that could even be threatening about us.

When we got to this particular car with the salesman, a balloon had been tightly tied around the driver side mirror....with a knot in the ribbon. I watched the car salesman yank on the balloon with futility (the ribbon was too tough to break and he also sported a prosthetic hook style hand). So I pull out the knife my fiance had bought me for Christmas a few months before. A Victorinox (not one hand) Fireman with plain black scales. I carefully select the rounded belt cutting serrated blade as to not only help from scratching the paint but also show some tact of opening the longer blade in front of a stranger.

Immediately the salesman backs a few steps and goes, "Whoa...is that from your ghetto days?"

.... I gave him a confused blank stare. "It's a Swiss Army Knife, and this blade doesn't even have a point" as I held it up for him to see.

He seemed fine with my reasoning and was probably more worried about making the sale than getting knifed. It wouldn't surprise me. He latter told me when we were waffling on buying the car that, "Sometimes you just gotta take risks"...says the guy with a hook hand.

I bought the car. It was a good deal and served us well until my wife got rear ended in the rain and totaled it. However, that little quasi scared and, frankly, insensitive comment stuck with me. Never had a comment said to me since that was more than "that's a nice knife".

It's funny but I don't think your average grocery store shopper (Mr. and Mrs. middle-America) ever notices that the stocking clerks roam freely around the store with a box cutter openly displayed (but sheathed) on their belt and sometimes whipping them out to do their job. Not a word is ever said. Kinda strange. Waiting for the day when somone freaks out.

Well it only happened to me once so I think overall it's really rare, she had to be some political type as she knew where to look. I say this because I do notice clips on men though and tend to ask. I'm not dumb enough to ask about the guns I notice when the profile is on their coat or pants. Why am I looking at mens' pants you ask? Situational awareness, I want to see weapons and DO know where to look heh.

How big is your fixed you keep on your belt? I'm considering carrying my CRK Pac when I eventually get it in. I almost always wear a jacket so it'll be mostly hidden.

often carry a Buck 119 or 120. other brands as well both larger or smaller depends what I'm doing.

you'd be surprised how much people really don't notice you or anyone else for that matter. this includes things like shoes, clothes, really cool haircuts, watches, jewelry, really cool tattoos, knives, guns carried and on and on.

Chicago, over on the mile by someone making their way to a sweet moped. Everywhere else in the country it's never been an issue.

From what I’ve seen, the majority of the time it’s how you open a knife that spooks people. Even a “big badass” flipper can be discreetly opened with two hands, used, and put away without freaking everyone out.

Last edited:
Back