Ever get people on the street that flip because you have a knife?

We had a British couple as house guests a couple of years ago at a villa we took in Italy. They knew I was a chef. The woman became overly concerned looking at my knife roll. In particular, she kept on commenting about the "switchblades". After I quietly told her my drop point folders were not "switchblades" she continued her comments every time she walked in to the kitchen while I was working. It became rather annoying.

No, I live in Mississippi. We can openly carry firearms, and knives are everywhere. If I need my knife I take it out and use it, never had anyone freak out, although I know there are people who would.

Couple of my students asked one time why I had such big knives (had my xm-24 and 4 max scout on me) and if someone was out to get me. I said "no, I just like knives".

I haven't begun carrying my firearm, but I do have a holster on the way. I'm looking into some iwb holsters for concealment, however being a bigger guy I need to choose wisely, but appendix carry can be done. Well see what I find.

I enjoy the lax laws here, but not the political climate. Take the good with the bad I guess?

We can openly carry firearms, and knives are everywhere. If I need my knife I take it out and use it, never had anyone freak out, although I know there are people who would.
Im in rural Iowa, probably half the fellas from age 16-80 carry a knife (and you’d be surprised how many men AND women legally carry a handgun), but if you pay attention, this is a “Buck state”lol. 110s and 100 series fixed blades are so common, nobody (including LE) bats an eye at them, even the 119, that has a blade beyond the legal limit.
Because of that, you will get looked at funny if you pop open a flipper, assisted, and especially an automatic. I suppose it’s a familiarity thing. Some knives are scary looking, and some aren’t.

I’m rambling, but what I’m getting at is that I think the reaction you get definitely depends on what part of the country you’re in. My Buck 110 would fit right in at the sale barn coffee shop, but if some old boy noticed a me using a foreign looking PM2, he’d ask me what kinda weird looking knife I was using...and if I went to the city, a knife on my belt would draw way more attention than one clipped to my pocket.

Last edited:
Im in rural Iowa, probably half the fellas from age 16-80 carry a knife (and you’d be surprised how many men AND women legally carry a handgun), but if you pay attention, this is a “Buck state”lol. 110s and 100 series fixed blades are so common, nobody (including LE) bats an eye at them, even the 119, that has a blade beyond the legal limit.
Because of that, you will get looked at funny if you pop open a flipper, assisted, and especially an automatic. I suppose it’s a familiarity thing. Some knives are scary looking, and some aren’t.

I’m rambling, but what I’m getting at is that I think the reaction you get definitely depends on what part of the country you’re in. My Buck 110 would fit right in at the sale barn coffee shop, but if some old boy noticed a me using a foreign looking PM2, he’d ask me what kinda weird looking knife I was using...and if I went to the city, a knife on my belt would draw way more attention than one clipped to my pocket.

I have a 119 in my car, and I have a few 110s to choose from. I'd fit right in :D

Discretion is a good idea when it comes to bigger knives, you never know if someone had a really traumatic experience with a knife earlier in life. Unfortunately that's a thing, it happens, and therapy can't always resolve it. Doesn't mean we have to cripple ourselves by not carrying a knife as a tool, but the polite thing would be to keep it reasonably low key when in a more public area.

Then you have the ignorant people who will find fault with literally anything, be it your job, hobbies, habits, or beliefs. Some will find a reason to hate a person just for who they are. People like that are the problem and I really don't care what they think.

I made a guy about jump through the ceiling with an assisted opener once. Nothing came of it, but I started to appreciate slow manual openers more.

When we are at the shooting range with military weapons every body admires: Fal, HK G3, Garands etc
Some times one has a problem :eek:pening an ammo box I help them with my knife (Sebenza) and then it's sheer terror for a lot of guys wil immediately "retreat"
I shoot Steel Challenge and 3-Gun matches. One Sunday a newb joined our squad. A local cop. I was sitting at a picnic bench. I pulled an old KA-BAR out of my range bag to cut open a box of ammo. He began lecturing me that fixed blade knives had to be carried openly from one's waist. I just looked at him, and then went back to what I was doing.

Not a problem where I live , rural midwest USA , at least out in the country .

But, a couple of years ago , I was at a medical center in Nashville and they were starting a test that could be screwed up by metallic objects .

I had completely forgotten , my two usual huge fighting folders , still in front pockets .

Things got a little tense when I sheepishly tried to hand them off to my wife .

My wife explained that we live in the country , and I'm not very scary looking or acting .

Security was not summoned and thereafter my wife never let me forget to leave weapons in the car when on medical diagnostic visits .

Nope never at most some comments from coworkers but nothing really along the lines of "you shouldn't carry that" more like "really you chose to carry your fixed blade today that no one won't see"

Maybe we should toss a little fire engine red in that ensemble to really bring out the wow factor. Or maybe Sunshine yellow? Pacific blue?

What, and give up my biker-from-hell-angel-of-death look? NEVER! Or at least not as long as I can pull it off :D.

Here's a little story that keeps my friends and family laughing their asses off-

I went to my local public library recently, and as I approached the steps to the front door a woman and her young daughter, maybe 4 years old, starting to walk down. So, between Covid, and knowing my scary appearance, I stepped back giving them plenty of room to pass. The mom passed first talking on her phone, the girl trailed behind taking little girl steps. When the girl reached the bottom of the steps she looked at me, froze in her tracks, and started to cry. The mom, embarrassed, called to her daughter to come, but the kid wouldn't budge. Mom tried again, no dice. Mom had to walk over pick the girl up and carry her to their minivan.

It's official. The mere sight of me frightens small children, to the point of tears. :(

image.jpg I live in Montana and just the other day I saw a kid riding one of those “single wheel skateboard things” (for lack of a better term :) ) and he was wearing the largest Bowie knife I have ever seen.

Also I see a lot of Spyderco and Benchmade clips peeking out of pockets around here so I feel fairly comfortable pulling out something like my launch 13.

That being said I have had a couple of double takes when someone runs to grab scissors and I whip out a 4” blade (crooked river).

Back