Ever get people on the street that flip because you have a knife?

I was reading about knife restrictions in Australia and New Zealand, sounds just as strict.
Yep! We can't carry unless it is for recreational use - hiking, camping or fishing etc. My friend almost got charged by the cops for having a SAK in his car...very different here.

I have not gotten comments on my knife. I have definitely gotten a lot of comments recently about not wearing a mask. I just tell people I don’t care about their opinion or their comments.

I usually carry a knife in a belt pouch...sometimes it's a Vic SAK, sometimes it's a Leatherman Wave or Super Tool, and sometimes it's a Buck 110 or 112.
Nobody has ever said a word about it or even asked me what's in the pouch.

Only time my knife carry has been noticed and brought to my attention, is in class (I'm a teacher) by a student. I usually leave my knife in pocket unclipped when I'm at school, but had forgotten and clipped it. Turns out the kid is a knife nut, and super into Nick Shabazz videos. I sent fanmail to Nick telling him the story, and he sent a pair of signed Z-hunters for the kid's senior graduation gift.

Not on the street, strictly speaking, but elicited a sharp inhale (from a friend) one time when I pulled out a Spyderco UKPK (slipjoint) to slice a cake at an informal office event. Got an even more anxious gasp from a colleague when I slowly opened a (small) CRK Inkosi to open some industrial strength packaging at a similar event at a different employer. The knives were legal in both environments and being deployed to deal with challenges that clearly could not be met with hands or other tools on hand. There is definitely a population that sees knives as weapons even when they are being used as tools, sort of like using an AR-15 as a doorstop.

Only time my knife carry has been noticed and brought to my attention, is in class (I'm a teacher) by a student. I usually leave my knife in pocket unclipped when I'm at school, but had forgotten and clipped it. Turns out the kid is a knife nut, and super into Nick Shabazz videos. I sent fanmail to Nick telling him the story, and he sent a pair of signed Z-hunters for the kid's senior graduation gift.
That is so cool! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Doesn't happen in my state. Nobody is surprised, much less acts weird, with my EDC (I typically carry knives like the PM2 and Manix2 but sometimes a Military.)

I recall around 20 years ago I was in line in a fast food restaurant here in the city. The guy behind me was wearing button down sport shirt, jeans, and Glock in a holster on his belt, no badge immediately visible. Nobody in line paid any attention to him. When we left I noticed a County Constable's car in the parking lot.

Yep. Once you allow the government to control the guns, it's not long before they control the knives also.
It would be impossible in the US for the govt to control knives as they do firearms. The govt could make more and more rules about what we are allowed to carry, and larger Bowies and daggers might be sold as chef's knives, butcher's knives and tree trimmers, but the day where we'll have to receive our new knives through an FFL just ain't gonna happen.

Last edited:
It would be impossible in the US for the govt to control knives as they do firearms.
The govt could make more and more rules about what we are allowed to carry, and larger Bowies and daggers might be sold as chef's knives, butcher's knives and tree trimmers, but the day where we'll have to receive our new knives through an FFL just ain't gonna happen.
You did see bib joden's day 1 promises didn't you?

My one hander stays in my pocket around people I don't know. I carry a small traditional for cutting tasks in public. No issues at all.
This is very prudent. A good idea. I'm going to start this practice. I know there have been a number of times where I have opened a (single-edged) automatic into the palm of my hand so as not to frighten people. Better just to have a second knife.

It would be impossible in the US for the govt to control knives as they do firearms.
The govt could make more and more rules about what we are allowed to carry, and larger Bowies and daggers might be sold as chef's knives, butcher's knives and tree trimmers, but the day where we'll have to receive our new knives through an FFL just ain't gonna happen.

That's probably what the British said.

A slipjoint or two loose in the bottom of a pocket, no one knows they're there unless I take one out.
No one has ever said a word to me about the 110/6OT/7OT, on my belt, no matter which of the "lower 48" I was in that day, or what city/cities.
(I was an over the road expedited box truck driver. Some days, I could be in as many as 5 or 6 states, when on the east coast/in New England, during my 10 hour driving shift.)

Last edited:
Back