Ever get people on the street that flip because you have a knife?

I feel like that is a sensible way to handle that situation but I think a lot of “non-knife” people also find it hard to believe that a knife like my large crooked river is a practical tool for anything but homocide.

So while I think it’s good to explain that you use it as a tool and not a weapon (though some people do carry for defensive purposes), I don’t find anything wrong (depending on the situation) with a little humor and getting on with life.

Also, I do take my AR fishing but when I do I ride in on giant eagles wrapped in a “don’t tread on me flag” while wielding a Calvary sword inscribed with God bless America. ;)
You’re not wrong about the full size Crooked River, mate! Even my bruv did a double take with that one. I was rhapsodising about the beauty and functionality, he just said, ‘It’s very big.’ :D

No, but I live in Texas (suburban but still Texas).

What will cause people issues more here is open carry of sidearms, it’s legal as of about 4 years ago but mostly people who choose to do so in DFW are doing so for their own agenda/statement not any practical purpose. Local PDs have had more than a few issues with this.

It’s more mainstream in my county since it’s legitimately pretty rural in parts but most open carriers in Dallas/Plano etc are the people who probably shouldn’t be carrying guns at all.

I can’t imagine anyone having an issue with a knife, especially a folder, even in liberal Austin.
I choose to OC on occaision, in DFW. The reaction from the public I get most often will be a little old lady telling me they feel more safe with me around.
I believe alot of this has to do with how you present yourself. Big difference between cockiness and self confidence.
When I go out in public I'm squared away. Well groomed and wearing nice (western style, usually) clothing. Nothing flashy or dirty and worn out.
I mind my business and am helpful to those around me, if need be. It probably helps that I'm ruggedly handsome.

Just casually reading through here and wanted to personally thank everyone who takes the extra steps to not terrify the general public unnecessarily. You shouldn’t have to, but you do the knife community a service when you do.

I got a story to tell you, and remember it because I took Spyderco milli apart for cleaning after I got some new driver bits :) :

At a retail job I took because of layoffs some lady said loudly while in line "I can't believe he has that!" and looked around at other people not me. No one said a word to her. When she got up to me she said something similar but I forget what I was already too nervous to remember. I just acted like I was a good bit dimmer than I actually am (not hard) and said in a deep slow voice "uh I work in the back all the time, I just came up front because it got busy!" She just went "Well it's nice you came up here then" and filed a complaint with the manager saying all men are horrible in the store lol.

Do you guys have any funny stories about disarmerment nuts?
Never happens to me. Seriously, never.

Zieg

Me either. Never had anyone say anything negative about me carrying.
Mostly I get “Man, that’s beautiful!” Guess I’ve been lucky so far.

I also don’t wave them around like a madman. ;)

It's hit or miss for me at work. As an anesthesiologist spending 99% of my time in the OR, there are supplies and ties that are quicker to open with a blade. I don't make a big spectacle of it, but when I do use a knife I just act like it's a normal item that everyone would just take out, use and put away (like an ordinary pair of scissors, or even a pen). That sometimes gets a raised eyebrow from a nurse or colleague nearby, but nobody has ever lost their mind at the sight of my knives. I do make it a point to never use it in front of patients, people are anxious enough about surgery that I feel I don't need to add to that anxiety;).

But, I carry everyday at work, have been for the last 9 years and have never had any issues because of it. :D

It's hit or miss for me at work. As an anesthesiologist spending 99% of my time in the OR, there are supplies and ties that are quicker to open with a blade. I don't make a big spectacle of it, but when I do use a knife I just act like it's a normal item that everyone would just take out, use and put away (like an ordinary pair of scissors, or even a pen). That sometimes gets a raised eyebrow from a nurse or colleague nearby, but nobody has ever lost their mind at the sight of my knives. I do make it a point to never use it in front of patients, people are anxious enough about surgery that I feel I don't need to add to that anxiety;).

But, I carry everyday at work, have been for the last 9 years and have never had any issues because of it. :D

You're in an operating room pulling your pocket knife open stuff? Like what? All the supplies are in tear open packs and stocked in carts by nurses etc. Do you have to fight someone for the drugs? What country is this OR in?

You're in an operating room pulling your pocket knife open stuff? Like what? All the supplies are in tear open packs and stocked in carts by nurses etc. Do you have to fight someone for the drugs? What country is this OR in?

"All the supplies are in tear open packs and stocked in carts by nurses etc." <-- interesting assumption you have going on there

- "...there are supplies and ties that are quicker to open with a blade" I believe is what I said. Some packs, heavy-duty plastics, zip ties on cables, plenty of things

- Nope, no fighting. I have all access to the drugs I need to use.

- Working in the good old U. S. of A. :thumbsup:

Yup - I use my knife almost daily. Obviously not JUST in the OR, as there are plenty of other times throughout the day a knife comes in handy for an EDC. Simply responding to the OP's question about people's reaction to a blade in public. Have a good day!

Yup - I use my knife almost daily. Obviously not JUST in the OR, as there are plenty of other times throughout the day a knife comes in handy for an EDC. Simply responding to the OP's question about people's reaction to a blade in public. Have a good day!

Wait, isn't everything in the OR supposed to be sterile? That's why they wrap all that stuff up, right? Aren't you contaminating them by cutting them open with an EDC blade you use outside the OR?

Wait, isn't everything in the OR supposed to be sterile? That's why they wrap all that stuff up, right? Aren't you contaminating them by cutting them open with an EDC blade you use outside the OR?

I was curious about this too.

"All the supplies are in tear open packs and stocked in carts by nurses etc." <-- interesting assumption you have going on there

- "...there are supplies and ties that are quicker to open with a blade" I believe is what I said. Some packs, heavy-duty plastics, zip ties on cables, plenty of things

- Nope, no fighting. I have all access to the drugs I need to use.

- Working in the good old U. S. of A. :thumbsup:

I think that the “I have access to the drugs I need to use” part interests me possibly a little more
Than the cleanliness of the OR. ;)

Lol. All good points! I'm not opening anything that is sterile. Sterile equipment is used on the surgical side and comes from processing. Obviously sterile packing needs to remain that way.

Opening non-sterile packs/bags/plastic with the knife is no different than opening them with a pair of scissors. Plus, I keep the blade clean with chlorhexidine & alcohol wipes so no, I'm not opening things with a dirty edge. Anything that is going to be directly touching a patient is kept clean.

I almost never get any attention about my knife usage in public. Grew up in Texas and spent a decade in West Virginia, been in Florida 3 years now. Maybe the people in those states are more tolerant?
Occasionally, someone will give me a "look", but that's about it.

I used to work in hardware store. I had pulled out my pm2 to cut something behind the paint desk and an old lady behind the counter waiting for her paint

PM2 is not a very big knife, surely she has much larger knives in her kitchen. And any restaurant that serves steak will give you a larger knife with your meal.

I hear stories about people asking why someone carries a knife, then later you seem them struggling to open a package with their fingernails or their keys, or they ask you to borrow your knife.

Honestly whenever I go out in public people would be more shocked if I did not have a knife or several on me.

When I travel for business it’s important to be discreet and aware of where you are and where you are going. It’s not that tough. Don’t carry a Bowie on your hip if you walk into the Three Sixty sky club in St.Louis, MO. Maybe down the street in the Broadway Oyster Bar tho.

:D

When I lived in Colorado I was shopping in Boulder. I bought a jacket and when I got out of the store I sat down on a bench and pulled my sebenza out to cut the tags off my new jacket. Well a Karen saw me and told me how I did not make her feel safe and that there is no need for "such weaponery". I put the knife back in my pocket and just nodded my head at her and walked to my car. Yes there are people that will try to cause you trouble if you let them.

When I lived in Colorado I was shopping in Boulder. I bought a jacket and when I got out of the store I sat down on a bench and pulled my sebenza out to cut the tags off my new jacket. Well a Karen saw me and told me how I did not make her feel safe and that there is no need for "such weaponery". I put the knife back in my pocket and just nodded my head at her and walked to my car. Yes there are people that will try to cause you trouble if you let them.
As if it's your responsibility to "make her geel safe". Karen's.

When or if I bring out my folder in public - if it’s a flipper or not I act like it’s a slipjoint and open it with 2 hands. I don’t make a production out of it. Most non knife people don’t care that is a $500 limited edition, sprint run, 1 of 2 ever made, blessed by a priest and a rabbi. It’s just big and scary to them.

Back