Ever heard of GSM Outdoors? They just bought Cold steel.

Using the search function will reveal all, and would be much better than rehashing the whole tale yet again.....

Here it is, in all its gory glory. More than you ever wanted to know about Cold Steel and GSM.

We've had a host of threads about this change. Another was unnecessary.

H
Here it is, in all its gory glory. More than you ever wanted to know about Cold Steel and GSM.

We've had a host of threads about this change. Another was unnecessary.
Hey knarf, do you make knives?

I have learned so much from reading your posts over the years about steel. You have always approached things with a mostly objective outlook which I appretiate.

Ok ass kissing over.

It only makes sense they will say that...

And LCT did not announce sale of Sold Steel, he just sold it...
They won't say "We're gonna cash in on brand name"...

We have seen warranty dance and switch to new "superior" 4034 steel... actions speak more than words. And so far their actions aren't good...
They are already offering more budget knives, w/ budget steels, & thinner blades. The biggest nut punch is discontinuing the beloved South African machetes, that were by far the best value for the money. I had a Jungle Machete on order. I waited months. Amazon finally cancelled the order. GSM customer service says they haven't discontinued the South African machetes. Again, actions speak louder than words. I'm glad I bought a bunch of Cold Steel knives when they were still good. I suspect many of their classic knives will continue to be sold for awhile, like the SRK, Recon Tanto, Trailmaster, etc. However, they haven't been available in 3V for some time. I'm not sure if that was a Lynn Thompson decision, or a GSM decision, as it seems to predate the sale. I ordered an SR1 LITE folder about 8 months ago, and immediately returned it because the Tri-Ad Lock was loose. For Christmas, I gifted myself an SRK in VG10 San Mai III. It seems to be one of the knives GSM hasn't messed with yet, unless they were behind the switch to a hollow grind. If the bevels, or anything that should be caught by QC, are off, I'm returning it, and never buying Cold Steel again. I love how they came out with that new Razor Tek fixed blade, and tried to sell them for over $100. I think the largest was priced at $150+. Customers saw the 4116SS, and immediately said no. They dropped the price nearly in half.

They are already offering more budget knives, w/ budget steels, & thinner blades. The biggest nut punch is discontinuing the beloved South African machetes, that were by far the best value for the money. I had a Jungle Machete on order. I waited months. Amazon finally cancelled the order. GSM customer service says they haven't discontinued the South African machetes. Again, actions speak louder than words. I'm glad I bought a bunch of Cold Steel knives when they were still good. I suspect many of their classic knives will continue to be sold for awhile, like the SRK, Recon Tanto, Trailmaster, etc. However, they haven't been available in 3V for some time. I'm not sure if that was a Lynn Thompson decision, or a GSM decision, as it seems to predate the sale. I ordered an SR1 LITE folder about 8 months ago, and immediately returned it because the Tri-Ad Lock was loose. For Christmas, I gifted myself an SRK in VG10 San Mai III. It seems to be one of the knives GSM hasn't messed with yet, unless they were behind the switch to a hollow grind. If the bevels, or anything that should be caught by QC, are off, I'm returning it, and never buying Cold Steel again. I love how they came out with that new Razor Tek fixed blade, and tried to sell them for over $100. I think the largest was priced at $150+. Customers saw the 4116SS, and immediately said no. They dropped the price nearly in half.
post a message on my profile if you are still interested in a jungle machete.

There's been 3V knives around recently, and the regular good Taiwan steels like AUS 8 and 10. Got a 3V SRK (out of many models) just recently, and a Kobun.

I'm still interested in a Cold Steel 97JMS Jungle Machete. I don't know how to post on your profile. Let me know how we can get this done, if one is still available.
Click on his user name under his avatar. That gives you his user page. Leave a message.

Do not bring business deals into the discussion forums.

Well, after like a 6 months hiatus, the Cold Steel 97JMS Jungle Machete was on Amazon for $20 w/ free shipping. I snatched it up, even though I don't really need it. I have to say, it's my favorite of all my machetes so far, even compared to my Ontario 18" US Military Machete. And yes, they are STILL MADE in South Africa. And while the package it came in had the new Cold Steel logo, the old logo was etched into the blade. If all my Cold Steel Machetes, this one arrived the sharpest. Is it possible GSM Outdoors actually improved quality control? Hard to believe, but it might be true. The handle on the Jungle Machete is the worst of all the Cold Steel 1055 machetes I own. It was easily fixed with some heat shrink grip and a heat gun. Now it has excellent grip, and is thicker for people with XL+ hands.

Well, after like a 6 months hiatus, the Cold Steel 97JMS Jungle Machete was on Amazon for $20 w/ free shipping. I snatched it up, even though I don't really need it. I have to say, it's my favorite of all my machetes so far, even compared to my Ontario 18" US Military Machete. And yes, they are STILL MADE in South Africa. And while the package it came in had the new Cold Steel logo, the old logo was etched into the blade. If all my Cold Steel Machetes, this one arrived the sharpest. Is it possible GSM Outdoors actually improved quality control? Hard to believe, but it might be true. The handle on the Jungle Machete is the worst of all the Cold Steel 1055 machetes I own. It was easily fixed with some heat shrink grip and a heat gun. Now it has excellent grip, and is thicker for people with XL+ hands.

If the old logo was etched in the blade, it's just old stock with a new box.

Back