Everkeen JPHCo question

Hello, Does anyone have any guidance on this hatchet? Markings on one side; “Kelly Quality” other side; “Everkern JPHCO” Knob has red/orange paint.
Should I clean it up or leave as is?
Thank you

Here is an old Everkeen hewing hatchet. Really faint stamps. Everkeen on the bit and CHA in part of an arc on the poll with Cast Steel under it and something I can't make out in the center. Its differs in the construction with what I usually see as the bit is overlaid rather than just forge welded to the flat side and the bit is offset to be centered.
Anyone know what it said on the poll? Does it resemble a Kelly?

Sniped off the web....
cc5f3409e68f49d5ad4494bf77717c88.jpg

That is in great condition. Whatever you do don't bevel the back side. Just in case you didn't know. :)
Thank you, I need all the tips I can get! My plan is to try and not alter the original hatchet. I am thinking of doing minimal work to it, including the following: 1. without removing the handle, clean it up (leaving the red/orange paint on the knob intact) and apply BLO. 2. gently remove rust and paint from the head (maybe lightly file off any old damage). 3. sharpen the angle side of the bit and apply 3 in one oil.

Thank you, I need all the tips I can get! My plan is to try and not alter the original hatchet. I am thinking of doing minimal work to it, including the following: 1. without removing the handle, clean it up (leaving the red/orange paint on the knob intact) and apply BLO. 2. gently remove rust and paint from the head (maybe lightly file off any old damage). 3. sharpen the angle side of the bit and apply 3 in one oil.
Question about rust removal from the head without removing the handle...
I have had great success soaking another head (with handle removed) in white vinegar. I am considering soaking a rag in vinegar or Evaporust and wrapping this head for 24 hours (so as not to damage the wood handle).
Does anyone recommend this method or have better ideas?
Also, I am assuming the head is painted black. Should I remove this paint and just have a metal head?

You could hit the rust spots with a brass wire cup brush on an angle grinder or drill. You could do this will leaving most of the paint intact. And under the rust you'll find a nice dark patina. Then just clean it up with soap and water.

The hang looks good. I understand why you don't want to mess with it.

Back