Everyone's latest acquisitions!

Hi all,

Just arrived today! 4/19/21 Wow! Is this "Micro" Canadian ever "MICRO!" Super tiny, LOVE it!

173839156_3036672383232951_6286958168772096729_n.png

A Civivi Appalachian Drifter in blue Rose G10/carbon fiber and damascus (9cr equivalent) steel. The Micarta/S35VN version is much more my style, but a fellow forum member offered me a deal on this that was too good to pass up.

All in all, it's a rad knife! It does miss the mark in a few areas though I think. First off, the action is phenomenal. Super smooth, super fun, super addicting. This thing is every bit as fun to play with as my Pro-Tech Malibu and Olamic Busker. Seriously. If you're looking for a knife to give you a fidget fix, look no further. The blade is also phenomenal. It has a very well done hollow-grind and they used nice and thin steel stock. The fit and finish is great. I think we've kind of come to expect good fit and finish from Civivi, and this example doesn't disappoint.

Now the parts I don't like. I don't think I like the double detent system. It just feels weird (and a little dangerous) to disengage on a knife this smooth. I'm not sold on the pocket clip. I really like the Civivi Rustic Gent, and I thought the one thing it needed was a pocket clip. The Appalachian drifter uses the exact same scale/body shape (and blade for that matter) as the Rustic Gent... And now that I basically have a Rustic Gent with a pocket clip, I think I prefer it without.

So the basic conclusion is that I think they should have just made an S35VN, front-flipper version of the Rustic Gent and called it a day. Still a cool knife though.

SVo5OxQ.jpg

NnkmgN6.jpg

MdlSlpk.jpg

RB1vjRy.jpg

Fortunately, I can afford one, so I received a Becker BK7 today. My preference in a combat or survival knife is a blade shorter than 7 inches on the premise that if an item isn't comfortable to carry, I won't have it with me when I need it. Well, the BK7 measures up as a survival and a combat knife. So then, I went to an assortment of fixed blades to find the one that felt the best - BK7, Fallkniven F1, Fallkniven A1, Al Mar, Ka-Bar Mark 1?? It wasn't all my knives, just the ones in the office for the day. The clear winner was the Russian Kizlyar Supreme. If I were wearing a heavy glove, it might have been one of the other fixed blades. The close runner up, losing by only a whisper was the Ontario TFI. The TFI is now discontinued and completely unavailable. It is the combat/survival knife that I recommended to people for many years.

Back