Everything Lefties thread

A few more

5mw0VcL.jpg

I'm glad I read through the thread, ya'll had me damn confused on the chisel grind:eek:. I don't own a chisel grind knife so it really doesn't matter to me, but it is still confusing.
Like most everyone else that has posted, I've learned to adapt to a right handed world. Being the only lefty in my immediate family, I was raised to do most things right handed. So, my dominate side is my right. My right eye is dominate so shooting and strength is right handed. Fine motor skills and dexterity are left handed.

Since CRK makes left handed knives, they're my main left handed knife. Most Spyderco's are oriented for either carry. I always carry two knives, a CRK in the left pocket and a right handed in the other. I draw the knife in my right pocket, open it up right handed and then switch hands for use. Most of the time I'll use two hands to close the knife. More habit than anything else.
Haha :D I’m still a bit confused on chisel grinds but like you said I don’t ever use them either so it make me much difference. I’m beginning to wonder it I’ve been using a chisel the wrong way now all these years haha. For me tho I’m not a carpenter so I’m jamming a chisel in and beating it with a hammer until the woods outta my way

I keep the little victorinox electrician knife in my right pocket most of the time. Just comes in handy. I was on a ladder the other day and need to cut a hole in some vinyl siding. The large 21 drop point isn’t a real good blade to draw cut a circle in siding. The sheepsfoot in the victorinox is perfect tho. Then the 21 could clean it up. Now a 4inch hole saw and a drill would’ve been the easiest thing but it was a long walk down the ladder back to the truck :D

And my lefty collection is even smaller. But growing. I do have 3 benchmades that are now left hand carry only. No.holes on the right side. I feel they are included. But not counting them I have 3 actual lefties. And one on the way. Oh and a large 21 insingo I'll be picking up in the next month and a left handed Mnandi in about the same amount of time. So its growing fast

I always have to pay extra for a left handed sheath and wind up with two because the maker doesn't want it.
But you know what gripes me more than that...….checking out at a store and the card reader is set up for right handed people. Some of those things don't swivel very well.
Ever checked out at Lowe’s and had to sign to card reader? Just isn’t natural for a lefty

I always thought it was funny that everyone has to drive in the left side of the car here in the USA . At least there's one thing the lefties get the one up on. In politics not so much. Lol

I’ve never owned a lefty compression lock. I don’t mind the right handed at all tho

It makes a ton of difference but if you never close a compression lock made left handed then you don't know there's even a problem. I had my pm2's in standard for years before I even knew they made a lefty. Got the lefty as a gift and now it feels weird to close a standard

Haha :D I’m still a bit confused on chisel grinds but like you said I don’t ever use them either so it make me much difference. I’m beginning to wonder it I’ve been using a chisel the wrong way now all these years haha. For me tho I’m not a carpenter so I’m jamming a chisel in and beating it with a hammer until the woods outta my way

I keep the little victorinox electrician knife in my right pocket most of the time. Just comes in handy. I was on a ladder the other day and need to cut a hole in some vinyl siding. The large 21 drop point isn’t a real good blade to draw cut a circle in siding. The sheepsfoot in the victorinox is perfect tho. Then the 21 could clean it up. Now a 4inch hole saw and a drill would’ve been the easiest thing but it was a long walk down the ladder back to the truck :D

Absolutely, I've done it before and more than likely it will happen again. That's why Spyderco's make a good work knife for chores like that. I just got a Police 4 with K390 steel and I'm thinking it will be useful for vinyl cutting. I do mostly remodel/addition plumbing work. You can really tell the difference in the quality of wood in older homes. That wood cuts clean, newer wood, not so much. When I'm running pex, I like a clean hole. That's where a CRK shines.

Ever checked out at Lowe’s and had to sign to card reader? Just isn’t natural for a lefty

Yeah, people behind me think I'm a contortionist when I have to sign. I've learned to bring cash when I go to Lowes.

Here's 2 of my pm2's. The one on the left is a left handed and the one on the right is a right handed. Once you have a left handed pm2 there is a clear difference in closing themView attachment 1209079

Therein lies my fear/problem. If I get a LH PM2 and I've come close, I'll get acclimated to it and will get frustrated using the RH PM2's I have. That will lead to selling the RH ones and I really don't want to do that.
So, this may seem weird, but here's my system for carrying a knife. I always have a CRK in my left pocket and a RH in my other pocket. When I use the right hander, the pocket clip is in the palm of my hand. That reminds me that it's a righty. I keep the pocket clips in their original orientation. If I don't do that, I look like a complete idiot trying to close a RH knife left handed. Sometimes, I don't think about the orientation of the knife and it's those time that I'm with someone. And they snicker and mumble something like " knife guru my ass or my three year old knows how to close a knife" :D. Mainly it's for safety reasons, I've peeled skin before on my thumb.

Therein lies my fear/problem. If I get a LH PM2 and I've come close, I'll get acclimated to it and will get frustrated using the RH PM2's I have. That will lead to selling the RH ones and I really don't want to do that.
So, this may seem weird, but here's my system for carrying a knife. I always have a CRK in my left pocket and a RH in my other pocket. When I use the right hander, the pocket clip is in the palm of my hand. That reminds me that it's a righty. I keep the pocket clips in their original orientation. If I don't do that, I look like a complete idiot trying to close a RH knife left handed. Sometimes, I don't think about the orientation of the knife and it's those time that I'm with someone. And they snicker and mumble something like " knife guru my ass or my three year old knows how to close a knife" :D. Mainly it's for safety reasons, I've peeled skin before on my thumb.

Well be on the look out on the sales forums. I am listing 3 of my pm2's. Because its weird to close them now. One of the pm2's has never been carried. I picked it up and then decided it was to rare to carry so I picked up the 110sv and carried it. And put the other one in the safe. Now I see no reason keeping it. Might as well give someone a chance to own something they wanted but missed out on

Sorry about that. I still agree that your use makes good sense, and the reason may be that you hold the blade low to the wire (I assume). Like whittling?

Mine knife (LH bevel), works for me in my RH because I am scraping with the blade starting at 90 deg, or nearly perpendicular, to the piece--taking off very, very shallow, thin layers.

In some cases, I suppose it's possible the blade may work either way, but would depend on where--and what angle--the blade catches on the material you are cutting...the size of the chip you want ...and how you are holding everything.

[Moved to a different computer. I bumped something on my other keyboard, and the background started moving every time I moved the mouse--was getting sea sick. I think that started this whole brain spasm.]

Thank you mods for moving the thread to the correct forums. I was a bit confused on to where it should be do To my other thread being moved out of the general knife discussion area. And now being moved back. I appreciate your support

Cheers

Absolutely, I've done it before and more than likely it will happen again. That's why Spyderco's make a good work knife for chores like that. I just got a Police 4 with K390 steel and I'm thinking it will be useful for vinyl cutting. I do mostly remodel/addition plumbing work. You can really tell the difference in the quality of wood in older homes. That wood cuts clean, newer wood, not so much. When I'm running pex, I like a clean hole. That's where a CRK shines.
Oh yeah I get it. I do electric work. Anything to do with wires. Remodel, new construction, addition, service, marine, agriculture, Residential, commercial. My insingo shines with draw cuts just like a sheepsfoot. I can make a drop point work fine for stripping wire . I’ll cut or score Sheetrock or clean up holes that were cut with a keyhole saw if I need to trim a little. For the most part I’ll use my CRKs for everything. The victorinox works as a great little backup. Especially if I have my drop point with me and I need a sheepsfoot. Ever get on any older homes with rough saw wood? Mite as well pick you up several augers for that job

Back