Everything Lefties thread

Sorry about that. I still agree that your use makes good sense, and the reason may be that you hold the blade low to the wire (I assume). Like whittling?

Mine knife (LH bevel), works for me in my RH because I am scraping with the blade starting at 90 deg, or nearly perpendicular, to the piece--taking off very, very shallow, thin layers.

In some cases, I suppose it's possible the blade may work either way, but would depend on where--and what angle--the blade catches on the material you are cutting...the size of the chip you want ...and how you are holding everything.

[Moved to a different computer. I bumped something on my other keyboard, and the background started moving every time I moved the mouse--was getting sea sick. I think that started this whole brain spasm.]
no need to apologize at all. You are exactly right on skinning wire. The same motion as whittling wood. With stripping wire, say romex or any other jacketed wire or cable, a draw cut is perfect with a sheepsfoot or Crk Insigno shape. Bigger wire I’ll just skin the insulation off down to bare wire.
I may try that Benchmade one of these days just to see how well it works in different situations

It makes a ton of difference but if you never close a compression lock made left handed then you don't know there's even a problem. I had my pm2's in standard for years before I even knew they made a lefty. Got the lefty as a gift and now it feels weird to close a standard
I completely get it. My uncle used to say “can’t miss what you never had”
I would like to try a LH compression lock one day just to see the difference

Oh yeah I get it. I do electric work. Anything to do with wires. Remodel, new construction, addition, service, marine, agriculture, Residential, commercial. My insingo shines with draw cuts just like a sheepsfoot. I can make a drop point work fine for stripping wire . I’ll cut or score Sheetrock or clean up holes that were cut with a keyhole saw if I need to trim a little. For the most part I’ll use my CRKs for everything. The victorinox works as a great little backup. Especially if I have my drop point with me and I need a sheepsfoot. Ever get on any older homes with rough saw wood? Mite as well pick you up several augers for that job

Thank goodness, I've only had a few jobs with rough cut wood. Not only was it hell on the bits, had to get a drill rewired. I learned on that one to bid old houses differently.

Seems alot of use that keep knives in our pockets work construction. And the ones that work with wiring tend to carry the higher end knives. I wonder why?

Thank goodness, I've only had a few jobs with rough cut wood. Not only was it hell on the bits, had to get a drill rewired. I learned on that one to bid old houses differently.
They are definitely a different animal. Spyderco still makes a great knife for the price tho.

I always have to pay extra for a left handed sheath and wind up with two because the maker doesn't want it.
But you know what gripes me more than that...….checking out at a store and the card reader is set up for right handed people. Some of those things don't swivel very well.

Ever checked out at Lowe’s and had to sign to card reader? Just isn’t natural for a lefty

Oh f’ng card readers are some of the worst... especially when the stylus is tethered to with too short a cord.

Right handed knife I can handle. It’s all the other, stupid little things that industrial designers don’t think about... the safety button on my circular saw can’t be operated in the left hand. I have to push it with my right hand before I can pull the trigger to operate the saw. And you CAN’T even buy a left handed saw.

You also can’t buy a nice, left handed computer mouse. Luckily, I switched to a tablet and stylus 20+ years ago.

I could go on all day. At least with knives and guns, I can find something lefty friendly. It’s all the other ‘ergonomically friendly’ items out there that give me fits.

Shirts that button up. Pants and jackets. The list is a mile long. Tape measure for that matter. They are printed to.be read by right handers

Seems alot of use that keep knives in our pockets work construction. And the ones that work with wiring tend to carry the higher end knives. I wonder why?

That’s because y’all make the most money, carry the fewest tools on the job and work the longest hours. I have to work two jobs to keep up. If I didn’t do plumbing work on my days off, I’d get in a lot of trouble. When you work 14 days out of the month, you gotta do something else to stay out of trouble.

Oh f’ng card readers are some of the worst... especially when the stylus is tethered to with too short a cord.

Right handed knife I can handle. It’s all the other, stupid little things that industrial designers don’t think about... the safety button on my circular saw can’t be operated in the left hand. I have to push it with my right hand before I can pull the trigger to operate the saw. And you CAN’T even buy a left handed saw.

You also can’t buy a nice, left handed computer mouse. Luckily, I switched to a tablet and stylus 20+ years ago.

I could go on all day. At least with knives and guns, I can find something lefty friendly. It’s all the other ‘ergonomically friendly’ items out there that give me fits.
The ones with the tethered cord is exactly what I was talking about ha

I end up covered in sawdust every time I run a circular saw. Shavings blow right on me

Last edited:

Every time I put Teflon tape on threads, someone looking thinks I’m putting it on backwards. That drives me crazy, I usually respond with “ go wipe behind your ears because they’re still wet.”

That’s because y’all make the most money, carry the fewest tools on the job and work the longest hours. I have to work two jobs to keep up. If I didn’t do plumbing work on my days off, I’d get in a lot of trouble. When you work 14 days out of the month, you gotta do something else to stay out of trouble.
Haha. Plumbers and fitters make the big money down here. DBD4D831-FD91-4F79-826E-78E2A700DCDE.jpeg

Every time I put Teflon tape on threads, someone looking thinks I’m putting it on backwards. That drives me crazy, I usually respond with “ go wipe behind your ears because they’re still wet.”
Every time I put Teflon on threads, which is rare, I have to think about it every single time which way to do it. Pipe dope doesn’t make me feel dumb :confused:

Well, I do know a couple plumbers that used to be doctors :eek:, right now with all that’s going on on the Gulf Coast, work hasn’t been scarce.
Oh wow. That’s not bad at all. Work is good and plentiful up here. Too much at times. A guy told me years ago at a supply house “the stress of having too much work is a lot better than the stress of the other way”. I try to remember that when things start getting extremely hectic and behind

Shirts that button up. Pants and jackets. The list is a mile long. Tape measure for that matter. They are printed to.be read by right handers
Check out the postural restoration institute. It is a system of body use and function based on correcting the fact that we (as humans) are too right-sided. Surprising, this includes left-handed people.

According to them, everything is built to function in a RH direction or manner. Most of the exercises, movements and underlying concepts are designed to alter that asymmetry in the body and favor or balance toward left side use.

Actually, left sided movement that leads to resonant motion between the two sides—not as easy as it sounds.

On the chisel grind thing.
I once asked knife maker Allen Elishewitz why he did LH chisel grinds on his builds back in the 90's and early 2000's. His answer was essentially that he, Emerson and other makers did it for no other reason than that it looked cooler. You see the bevels on the "presentation side" when holding it in the right hand. As opposed to the boring looking flat side which is what your supposed to see if it was ground properly.
Even today almost all Emerson knives are chisel grind. And all of those are Lefty grinds. So that means even though all but 2 models are rightys, they all will cut better for us!

When it comes to fixed blades, I just prefer making my own sheath, and set it up, the way I prefer. Usually a dangler style sheath.

When it comes to folders it differs, wether being left-handed is a problem or not.

Spydercos of course opens ambidextrous.
But, my Para 3 is way easier to close left-handed than right-handed.
The compression lock on the back makes it easy to press the liner with the left thump, and then use the index finger to close the blade.
Doing that with the right hand, puts the 3 remaining fingers in grave jeopardy of getting cut.

So, a "normal" Para3 is great for us lefties.

Lefty here, complained about all this since joining BF.

I can only think of two (2) groups that comprise 10% or more of the population against which it is all right to unfairly discriminate or joke about, left handed people and bald guys.

WHAT DO WE WANT? JUSTICE! WHEN DO WE WANT IT? NOW!

When will we get it?

Back