Everything Lefties thread

When I started with this 'modern' knife thing a couple of years ago I just bought a few knives that appealed to me visually. The clip was not a relevant consideration, since all my previous pocket knives were just that...in the bottom of my pocket.

Imagine my disappointment when I finally started learning to use the clip, and learning the one-hand opening techniques. Sad to say, several of my early purchases are right hand only clip and/or open. No holes available to move the clip. No stud available to open with my left hand.

Now I've adapted to right handed knives and love the liner lock, frame lock, axis lock and Spyderco's ball lock (like on the Manix 2). My fingers are never cross in front of the blade while closing. Not a fan of the back lock, though.

But my biggest gripe is with lack of screw holes for lefty tip-up clips on too many knives. How hard would it be to drill those hole so I can move the clip? I know, I know, it would put a couple/few holes on the 'pretty' side of the frame/scales, but I don't care. I want that option! ;^>

Y

you can order direct from crk to get a model you like In lefty. Sometimes it’s hard to get the exact configuration you want to pop up at dealers, like the righty’s do, so
I just order direct for the most part. It’s a long wait but I’m willing to wait. I’ve got a left handed large 31 natural micarta with ladder Damascus on order. Not really one you’ll see at dealers very often.
That's why I said would have. Back before I knew what I really like in knives and was exited to try out lots of different types, it would have been a consideration. I appreciate their quality, but don't like framelocks or metal handles and thumbstuds are my last choice in an opening method. I will accept them as a compromise in a knife that has everything else I want, but for that price a knife has to be almost a perfect design for my taste.

I think it's awesome that they have been making lefty knives for quite a while and respect CRK's place in the knife community. They just aren't what appeals to me anymore.
When I started with this 'modern' knife thing a couple of years ago I just bought a few knives that appealed to me visually. The clip was not a relevant consideration, since all my previous pocket knives were just that...in the bottom of my pocket.

Imagine my disappointment when I finally started learning to use the clip, and learning the one-hand opening techniques. Sad to say, several of my early purchases are right hand only clip and/or open. No holes available to move the clip. No stud available to open with my left hand.

Now I've adapted to right handed knives and love the liner lock, frame lock, axis lock and Spyderco's ball lock (like on the Manix 2). My fingers are never cross in front of the blade while closing. Not a fan of the back lock, though.

But my biggest gripe is with lack of screw holes for lefty tip-up clips on too many knives. How hard would it be to drill those hole so I can move the clip? I know, I know, it would put a couple/few holes on the 'pretty' side of the frame/scales, but I don't care. I want that option! ;^>

The thing that gets me is Buck came up with a great clip design for the Vantage knives. The clip screws into a back spacer at the end of the knife so it can be easily reversed with no extra holes and it's deep carry on top of that. Such a smart, simple, and clean looking design that rarely gets used.:mad:

The thing that gets me is Buck came up with a great clip design for the Vantage knives. The clip screws into a back spacer at the end of the knife so it can be easily reversed with no extra holes and it's deep carry on top of that. Such a smart, simple, and clean looking design that rarely gets used.:mad:

Good point, Dan.

I recently bought a Microtech OTF for the fun of it. The clip is secured by a screw (glass breaker, in my case) at the top of the knife. Very easy to reverse the clip from one side to the other.

Actually, some knives I prefer to be right handed. I open my knives about 99% of the time left handed. The right handed frame locks are the easiest to open left handed because I can see that there is no added pressure on the lock bar, just my thumb on the stud. Besides, the right handed knives I carry are the ones I let someone use if they need to borrow a knife with my supervision :cool:.
A right handed single thumb stud is a no go.

I can spydie flick open some of my lefty 21s with my right hand. I try to get double lug installed on most of my lefty’s. Never a bad idea to have a loaner knife with or on you

Same here dude. Kinda why I called them and Shiro out. I wan't one, But not one that's backward

Damn right! My feelings exactly. THAT is one of the biggest reasons I went into customs.
(.. Well I also don't think I could ever bring myself to accept the egregious over pricing that Recon1 does on the Shiros anyway.)

My thinking was "Hmm.. Do I buy a $700-$1000 righty Shiro? OR, spend the same amount on a custom from Andre Thorburn. Built specifically for me, with my design on the bolster, and made from materials that I chose?"
Yeah it was a no brainer.
Would I ever get a lefty Hinderer or Shiro if they did one? Doubtful,Like my views on CRK, Once you get past the $400 threshold I find it's too close to custom pricing. So why bother?

Now if one of those old Strider leftys shows up on the exchange at $400? I'd jump on it.
I guess I'm weird like that.

I've gotta say full on customs are nice but Hows the service records? Anything to go off of? I mean like hundreds of satisfied customers saying there happy, that they screwed up the knife, that it was there fault and the company warranted the knife to ( brand new spec) no problem. How about people taking that knive down into the ditches, stabbing a sheetrock wall , sticking it into an electrical box or cutting a plumbing line any of the day to day tasks a construction worker does everyday with his $700-1000crk because of that stellar CRK warranty he can trust? Let's talk about camping ,hunting and fishing all things us real men do. Not the concrete city slickers that push knives on YouTube and appear to be "using" there knives. You see here on BF we are real people with real lives doing real thing and have respect for one another.

I feel your pain. Your mad. Mad and a world that has left you out and made things are hard for you.Im a lefty too. But taking shots at CRK because you dont feel the sMe way about them as someone else is not a health way to view. You see some buy CRK because we work and play hard...I mean really hard. And your custom. Well your custom knife builder would filp the F. Out the 2 or 3 or 4 time we sent that $1000 custom in for warranty work. But not CRK they fix it and send it right back. The 1st time, 2nd time 3rd,4th,5th,6th,7th and on and on as many times as we wreck it they will fix it. Wht well chris built them for the working man so they could work and stood behind them and when he lost his company to Ann in his divorce the only thing she didn't do is change the company in that aspect..

So earlear you ask why would you spend more then $400 on a CRK? Well. How much is your insurance worth. And are you willing to put your knife where your standard stand. Because I am. I will snap my blade in half right now and send my knife into crf for a blade and spa. Knowing it will cost me about $30 will you snap your blade in half? Do you already know what its gonna cost you? I know I will be with out my knife for about 2-3 weeks.do you know how long you will be with out your custom?

I don't me No disrespect. You ask a question and I can't give you a answering few lines. Why I feel this way and know that I mean no disrespect. Customs have there place . But for some it's just not for us. We won't benefit from them. You do and we are super happy for you. We dont and can't. But taking shots at what.we do.by saying things like why, and no brainers. Well I'll say back warranty and concrete jungle and you see. It's the little jams that start to divide us. We are lefties .we are already out on our own. 10% and now we are trying to make ourselves 10% of that someday I hope to have one of them customs in my house. To go out and eat with the misses. But right now I need something I can beat the ever living shit out of and when not if when I put it in the ground. I can send it to its maker, it can be made like new , and sent back for round two, three , and so one. I think your custom maker would lose his shit on the second time I sent that knife in. But who knows. Snap that blade,post a pic, once you do I'll do the same and off the the races we go. Let's test the makes Patience.

Last edited:
??? What the huh??

Really not sure what prompted the rant. I was talking about Shirogorov knives, not CRK. And righty Shiros at that.
One of the reasons I never got into CRK is aesthetically they never really appealed to me. I got absolutely no issues with the brand or it's products.

With 30 plus years of carrying a knife and I've never snapped a blade while using one. I know it's limits, and (thankfully) I have yet to be in a situation which calls for me to push those limits. So that is something that never crosses my mind while I'm deciding whether or not to make a purchase or place an order.
You seem to put a high value on warranties and peace of mind. Just in case something goes wrong. There is nothing wrong with that. It's a very valid reason to choose a brand, and many others do the same thing.
I don't put the same value on that as you do, and there is nothing wrong with that either. Never have I said that my way is better than yours. At most I am showing there are other options to choose on the high-end other than CRK.

Also, you may want to re-read what I said, and what exactly the "no brainer" choice was, because it's more about the companies that don't produce leftys, and the prices that are charged for them.
I think you will find that there is no disrespect given to any individuals whatsoever. Your reply however..... is doing a whole bunch of mud slinging. Although you preface every disrespectful statement with a "no disrespect", I find it to be downright insulting, and quite disrespectful.
You have no need to defend why you like what you like. and neither do I.

Doubtful,Like my views on CRK, Once you get past the $400 threshold I find it's too close to custom pricing. So why bother?

All apologies my left handed brother. This is were I kinda maybe misunderstood you and well went on my rant and wanted to give you an insight on why bother.

I hope you will accept my apology and we can move forward.

Lefty love

Damn right! My feelings exactly. THAT is one of the biggest reasons I went into customs.
(.. Well I also don't think I could ever bring myself to accept the egregious over pricing that Recon1 does on the Shiros anyway.)

My thinking was "Hmm.. Do I buy a $700-$1000 righty Shiro? OR, spend the same amount on a custom from Andre Thorburn. Built specifically for me, with my design on the bolster, and made from materials that I chose?"
Yeah it was a no brainer.
Would I ever get a lefty Hinderer or Shiro if they did one? Doubtful,Like my views on CRK, Once you get past the $400 threshold I find it's too close to custom pricing. So why bother?

Now if one of those old Strider leftys shows up on the exchange at $400? I'd jump on it.
I guess I'm weird like that.

I agree. I carry righty, but use with both hands, and sometimes carry both sides. I'd much rather shell out $400+ for a custom than mid tech. That way if something happens to one hand, I'm not S.O.L.

Broke my left arm just below the shoulder back in February. Two months being right handed was difficult. Especially in that I was just regaining use of the right after two strokes. So it's important to me to be able to have either handed options.

Last edited:
I think you will find that there is no disrespect given to any individuals whatsoever. Your reply however..... is doing a whole bunch of mud slinging. Although you preface every disrespectful statement with a "no disrespect", I find it to be downright insulting, and quite disrespectful.
You have no need to defend why you like what you like. and neither do I.

All apologies my left handed brother. This is were I kinda maybe misunderstood you and well went on my rant and wanted to give you an insight on why bother.

I hope you will accept my apology and we can move forward.

Lefty love

We're good.

That's right. Lefties stick together in the face of right handed oppression.

Digressing, if CRK can make money selling to lefties, why can't the others? It is apparently not too cost prohibitive for CRK to make knives the right way for us; you know, with altering the machining and all the other excuses we always hear. I'm tired of the BS and unfair treatment. What do we want........................?

Digressing, if CRK can make money selling to lefties, why can't the others? It is apparently not too cost prohibitive for CRK to make knives the right way for us; you know, with altering the machining and all the other excuses we always hear. I'm tired of the BS and unfair treatment. What do we want........................?
Well I want to point out that I was totally out of line. I am a hard working man and I took something a fellow lefty said way to personal. I started this thread we we had a place to voice our unheard opinions. And I feel like I didn't hear his. I heard only the same parts I here out on the general forums. And after reread his post 4 times I get it. I really hope we are all good. I don't give out apologies all willy nilly and I am genuinely sorry for ranting. We lefties are screwed for the most part. For the working class you can't beat CRK for class and warranty. There is benchmade on the lower scale but you can't maintain then. Take it apart and the warranty is void. So you have to own a few so you can send them in for service. And well I do so I can. But I am slowly selling off all other knives and buying more CRK. Maybe someday I will step up and get a custom. But in till then I want to beat on my knives and know the companies I buy from will stand behind them 100% no matter what I do with them. And we do need to stick together. Be forgiving and remember that 10% of the population is left handed but 30% of the knife community is lefties.

Left handed knives!
When do we want them?

These are currently my only two production knives that are true leftys. Kizer Gemini, and Emerson CQC7BW

p.jpeg

Back