Everything simpler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have lived in multiple big cities (ironically, some of the same ones you mention). Other than traffic, the benefits to living close to options in, well everything, far outweighed any stresses. And when I needed to destress, I spend a weekend in the woods, and on Sunday night, I'd come home to my nice bed and climate controlled home. It's great.

I moved because of traffic, crime, gangs, overcrowding, extreme expense, taxes, insane knife laws (felony possession of a throwing star:confused:), and erosion of basic rights.
I was working myself to death, keeping other people employed, paying for things that didn't make my life any easier, and funding laws I didn't agree with.
I shut a business down and left for the sake of my family.
Woke up several times to thieves, and law enforcement had their hands tied.
Convenience isn't simple, and it wasn't worth it to me.;)

I moved because of traffic, crime, gangs, overcrowding, extreme expense, taxes, insane knife laws (felony possession of a throwing star:confused:), and erosion of basic rights.
I was working myself to death, keeping other people employed, paying for things that didn't make my life any easier, and funding laws I didn't agree with.
I shut a business down and left for the sake of my family.
Woke up several times to thieves, and law enforcement had their hands tied.
Convenience isn't simple, and it wasn't worth it to me.;)

Wow, that's all pretty crazy.

Wow, that's all pretty crazy.

Welcome to sunny California.
;)

These days I can legally carry an automatic knife in the same pocket as a semi automatic handgun.

I worry more about snakes (actual snakes) than bad guys, and I can let my son explore the woods and not worry about him getting robbed or worse.
I can openly carry any size fixed blade I choose and not violate a law, or worry about locals getting scared.

I don't think of knives for self defense anymore (I'm older and that's not a good plan for me anywhere).
Just a better quality of life IMHO, than I could find in any of the cities I've lived in.

Simple life for me.

Welcome to sunny California.
;)

These days I can legally carry an automatic knife in the same pocket as a semi automatic handgun.

I worry more about snakes (actual snakes) than bad guys, and I can let my son explore the woods and not worry about him getting robbed or worse.
I can openly carry any size fixed blade I choose and not violate a law, or worry about locals getting scared.

I don't think of knives for self defense anymore (I'm older and that's not a good plan for me anywhere).
Just a better quality of life IMHO, than I could find in any of the cities I've lived in.

Simple life for me.

I am thankful that I have not had those experiences myself, and I'm also glad that you've found a place where you can be happy! Sounds like the best of all possible worlds.

a1AiYQM.jpg

Just a quick aside, according to Google, which rules us all, finds us, brings us all and in the darkness binds us - simple, easy and uncomplicated are synonymous. Word Hippo agrees.

sim·ple
/ˈsimpəl/
adjective
comparative adjective: simpler
  1. 1.
    easily understood or done; presenting no difficulty.
    "a simple solution"
    synonyms: straightforward, easy, uncomplicated,

Just a quick aside, according to Google, which rules us all, finds us, brings us all and in the darkness binds us - simple, easy and uncomplicated are synonymous. Word Hippo agrees.

sim·ple
/ˈsimpəl/
adjective
comparative adjective: simpler
  1. 1.
    easily understood or done; presenting no difficulty.
    "a simple solution"
    synonyms: straightforward, easy, uncomplicated,

Simple = basic, uncomplicated.

Used in a sentence:
"Google tends to make simple things needlessly complex."

:p

I enjoy (most of) the knives I've accumulated since my knife interest was re-ignited in 1997. But in some ways, I miss when my only knife was my one SAK, a Vic Spartan, when I lived overseas for nearly a decade. I used it when needed, but didn't attach too much importance to it otherwise. I still love SAKs to this day, and never see that changing into the future.

Some people refer to SAKs as 'simple' or 'basic', but if you look at it technically, an SAK is actually a more complex piece of equipment than many modern knives. I'm guessing it would be difficult for most custom knife makers to make an equivalent of an SAK, with all the various tools and their different hardnesses, spring systems, etc.

I've seen posts online by millennials who say they were born too late, and would rather have been alive in the 1960s, 70s or 80s, because they love that era's music and movies. I grew up in that era, and while I'd never in a million years trade places with a young person today, I doubt most young people today would really want to live back then, if put into a time machine. They'd be back in a New York minute. There was no internet access, no Facebook or Twitter, no smart phones, no YouTube to leave those comments on. There are strengths and drawbacks to every era and almost every lifestyle.

For me at this time, simplifying is being happier and more appreciative of all that I already have right now, and not constantly obsessing over what I don't have.

Jim

I enjoy (most of) the knives I've accumulated since my knife interest was re-ignited in 1997. But in some ways, I miss when my only knife was my one SAK, a Vic Spartan, when I lived overseas for nearly a decade. I used it when needed, but didn't attach too much importance to it otherwise. I still love SAKs to this day, and never see that changing into the future.

Some people refer to SAKs as 'simple' or 'basic', but if you look at it technically, an SAK is actually a more complex piece of equipment than many modern knives. I'm guessing it would be difficult for most custom knife makers to make an equivalent of an SAK, with all the various tools and their different hardnesses, spring systems, etc.

I've seen posts online by millennials who say they were born too late, and would rather have been alive in the 1960s, 70s or 80s, because they love that era's music and movies. I grew up in that era, and while I'd never in a million years trade places with a young person today, I doubt most young people today would really want to live back then, if put into a time machine. They'd be back in a New York minute. There was no internet access, no Facebook or Twitter, no smart phones, no YouTube to leave those comments on. There are strengths and drawbacks to every era and almost every lifestyle.

For me at this time, simplifying is being happier and more appreciative of all that I already have right now, and not constantly obsessing over what I don't have.

Jim

Iol I make a joke that at Coachella Music festival the same bands have headlined the last 5 years, that I saw in high school. At least they can play instruments.

I'm an old fogey I guess.
Stay off my lawn and we are all good..

Thanks to everyone who participated, a lot of opinions and it got people thinking and discussing, and take a lot tangents, but that was the intent of my OP, so mission accomplished, maybe it was better in Whine and Cheese. But James Y (in his last post above) and Bad Ninja (for living a life he chooses) really hit what was on my mind, being content with less, less complicated, and making a choice to live that way. I will leave this little experiment with a thought that sums up my reason for posting this ( maybe a little schmultzi ): when I was a little boy playing with my friends in the woods, we had bomber jackets on in cold weather, we played like we were soldiers escaping from enemy patrols, and we had simple SWiss Army knives in the pockets of our sleeves, all we needed or had, a simple knife, and we enjoyed ourselves!!! we had a ball!,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back