• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Review Excellent quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
After years and years of inactivity, I thought I’d make a small come back with a small review on what I’ve been doing since I last logged in with bladeforms. (Man the place looks different!!)
When I was on here previously I was on a large and long winded Kabar/Becker kick that also included a few blades from Ontario. (Still got em, still love em!)

Well, added another baby in the mix to the family, moved back to Wa State from Ohio (this summer), and I slowly (few years ago) got back into my real passion-
Self-defense geared blades and knives, as well as more obscure impact weapons.

After reading some of the blog posts done by the incomparable Don Rearic, I became interested yet again in saps, blackjacks, and knuckledusters as legitimate self defense gear.

Through Facebook, I became acquainted with the Foster brothers years ago now.
My first interactions with either of the brothers were through email, and I was attempting to purchase a coin sap for my birthday, I was also considering the Mene Gene Hot Tamale...
On the recommendation of D Rearic, I chose the Fosters.
When I purchased it,
I didn’t know,
But Todd (who knew I was getting it for my birthday) had included unbeknownst to me, a free horse hide midget sap of his own design.
It was very emotional for me, because I have never held or owned something handcrafted that was as nice and well-made as both that coin sap and the accompanying midget sap...
I still fly with it at times!!!
I’ve had nothing but amazing dealings with him as well, and I truly truly admire the amazing level of craftsmanship!

I have enjoyed being able to handle and own several pieces that they’ve made.
I’ve also enjoyed, through the Facebook group, being able to learn a lot of the history of the various older patterns, as well as new original designs the brothers have come up with.
Originally, I sought them out because I heard from people that I trusted that they were the best at what they do. I found this to be as true as it can be of anything handmade.
But I also found two guys who have become good friends.

Keep an eye out for my YouTube reviews of the various Foster Impact Device pieces I own!! (The new one (called the Bootlegger) should be going up soon!! )

Last edited:
After years and years of inactivity, I thought I’d make a small come back with a small review on what I’ve been doing since I last logged in with bladeforms. (Man the place looks different!!)
When I was on here previously I was on a large and long winded Kabar/Becker kick that also included a few blades from Ontario. (Still got em, still love em!)

Well, added another baby in the mix to the family, moved back to Wa State from Ohio (this summer), and I slowly (few years ago) got back into my real passion-
Self-defense geared blades and knives, as well as more obscure impact weapons.

After reading some of the blog posts done by the incomparable Don Rearic, I became interested yet again in saps, blackjacks, and knuckledusters as legitimate self defense gear.

Through Facebook, I became acquainted with the Foster brothers years ago now.
My first interactions with either of the brothers were through email, and I was attempting to purchase a coin sap for my birthday, I was also considering the Mene Gene Hot Tamale...
On the recommendation of D Rearic, I chose the Fosters.
When I purchased it,
I didn’t know,
But Todd (who knew I was getting it for my birthday) had included unbeknownst to me, a free horse hide midget sap of his own design.
It was very emotional for me, because I have never held or owned something handcrafted that was as nice and well-made as both that coin sap and the accompanying midget sap...
I still fly with it at times.

Fast forward another month or two, and I had worked out a couple of trades with Todd (a professional butcher by trade), in the form of cold steel and Spyderco knives, for him to make me more of his saps.
I love them as much as any of my knives!

I also got in contact with his brother Scott, who is a K9 law-enforcement officer in North Carolina, And did some similar trade work with him to acquire what are now three blackjacks. (I have just received my fourth this week, and it’s amazing!)

I’ve had nothing but amazing dealings with him as well, and I truly truly admire the amazing level of craftsmanship and attention to detail he puts in his work.
In the summer of 2018, both of the brothers decided to take major steps back in the amount of custom work they did for the random public.
They decided that in order to avoid burnout (they do all of their making on the side, while working full time jobs) and ensuing health problems from said burn out, to limit their productions to weekly or biweekly drops on the Facebook group, completely ignoring or shutting down their website and the associated emails with them. 30-50 emails a day...everyday...
Too many to respond to them all.

This was well received by some, many guys (who’ve been collectors and friends for years) who appreciate the brothers not just as top-notch makers, but also as nice guys to chat with and good fellas in general.

This was not at all well received by very many though, who look at the brothers continuing to make saps and blackjacks, but not making them available to the public at large (or rather to them personally), as a sort of disservice, foolish business practice, or some other nefarious goings-on.

The only negativity that I’ve seen from either them, in any capacity, never started with them. If you hear otherwise, you’re being lied to.

At the end of the day, I consider both of them to be good friends of mine, they’ve always treated me fairly and have never shown me a streak of negativity, and I have enjoyed being able to handle and own several pieces that they’ve made.
I’ve also enjoyed, through the Facebook group, being able to learn a lot of the history of the various older patterns, as well as new original designs the brothers have come up with.
Originally, I sought them out because I heard from people that I trusted that they were the best at what they do. I found this to be as true as it can be of anything handmade.
But I also found two guys who have become good friends.

Keep an eye out for my YouTube reviews of the various Foster Impact Device pieces I own!! (The new one (called the Bootlegger) should be going up soon!! )
You must be tired from patting the Foster brothers on the back for so long. Read the link. It seems a little closer to the true situation.--KV

You must be tired from patting the Foster brothers on the back for so long. Read the link. It seems a little closer to the true situation.--KV
I’ve read the link, I’ve read the “damning” emails...
I was around when the whole stupid thing went down.
It’s so amazing to me how anyone sees anything but sour grapes and a spoiled, entitled guy harassing a maker till he gets huffy with someone who isn’t used to hearing “no”
Smearing the Bros online is cowardly. In no place was his person threatened. It’s a big load of caca by a guy who didn’t get what he wanted.

I’ve read it, it’s trash.
I’ve read the emails. Eye roll.
You're letting one guys (self inflicted) negative experience get spun into a tale of intrigue and criminality. (I laugh)
I’ve known the Bros for years, and that thread is garbage.

What about the part where the maker threatens the customer and his family? Is that garbage? Or is it indicative of a garbage person who can't take fair criticism? I think it's fair to expect a reply from a maker who quotes you a build price, and fair to criticize their service when they not only ghost you but blow their fuse when you inquire about said quote.

Never knew such a thing even existed and I am in the market for a coin "purse" anyway.:p Seems like there is a lad in Canada who also makes these things. Cool, something else to spend non existing money on...

I like coin saps, I dunno who made this one though. But there’s no pictures in thread. In before lock.
v6ZDDH3.jpg

What about the part where the maker threatens the customer and his family? Is that garbage? Or is it indicative of a garbage person who can't take fair criticism? I think it's fair to expect a reply from a maker who quotes you a build price, and fair to criticize their service when they not only ghost you but blow their fuse when you inquire about said quote.

(sighs)

This doesn’t explain how literally thousands of guys can have positive interactions with a pair of brothers with nothing but positive things to say.

To summarily dismiss a maker and his wares because someone succeeded in riling him up after months of emails, and then belligerent “calling out” on the private Facebook group...

I’ll admit the “threats” could sound very bad, but they’re VERY vague, and undefined, and could mean nothing more than metaphorical implications...

A. Dixon caught S. Foster on a bad day. Screenshot the whole thing, and then portrays the whole thing as if it’s insider information on how their stuff is done as a whole.

All I’m saying is that this one instance where a VERY pushy guy (he’s been sure to leave out HOW pushy) has a negative interaction with a respected maker, and it shouldn’t color the brand and makers as a whole.

Think of many of the big time CEOs of knife companies...
do THEY always have flawless and gleaming interactions with everyone they run across?
No...
Do they have their usual pack of detractors? Sure.
Are they godawful human beings?
Not likely.
Does this in any way diminish their product?
No.
You give respect and then get it...
Telling someone right off the bat that they’re running their business very poorly, obviously lacking basic communication skills, and obviously don’t care about increasing their business, is usually not a good way to start out with someone who is frayed near the edges, DOESNT need anyone’s business (neither of the brothers do this gig for a living), and who deals with hundreds of others in an amicable way...

It doesn’t jive.

I don’t really have the time or energy to be online trying to un-poison the well.

I’m not going to sit here and reply to 132 comments.

I personally know that both of the brothers can be some of the most generous, and genuine guys that I personally have ever interacted with online.
I’m just trying to give a more balanced view of what really goes on with the Foster brothers than A. Dixon is propagating.

peace guys.

I like coin saps, I dunno who made this one though. But there’s no pictures in thread. In before lock.
v6ZDDH3.jpg

that’s a Fosters coin sap! Very nice quality!! YKK zipper. One of these was my first piece from Foster. The leather they’re made of where very well as long as you’re not dumb and give them to your dog to play with, or leave them outside on a rainy day.

If you continually add more and more coins to it, the leather will slowly stretch to accommodate until you can get well over a pound of loose change in there.
Granted, it wouldn’t hit like a solid loaded sap, these are legal practically everywhere because “it’s just a leather coin purse”.

I’ll admit the “threats” could sound very bad, but they’re VERY vague, and undefined, and could mean nothing more than metaphorical implications...

1) Please.
2) As D Danke42 pointed out..General Knife Discussion, not Prac Tac.
3) Probably belongs in GBU.
4) The "spoiled, entitled guy" you are insulting is fellow member.
5) I'l pass on the YouTube vids you are promoting.

1) Please.
2) As D Danke42 pointed out..General Knife Discussion, not Prac Tac.
3) Probably belongs in GBU.
4) The "spoiled, entitled guy" you are insulting is fellow member.
5) I'l pass on the YouTube vids you are promoting.

Look, I’m sorry for how I’ve come across.

It’s been a very long time since I posted anything here in BF.
Prac-Tac is what I was looking for, but since the forum was changed from when I was here last, and I couldn’t find the right tab.
What’s GBU?

that’s a Fosters coin sap! Very nice quality!! YKK zipper. One of these was my first piece from Foster. The leather they’re made of where very well as long as you’re not dumb and give them to your dog to play with, or leave them outside on a rainy day.

If you continually add more and more coins to it, the leather will slowly stretch to accommodate until you can get well over a pound of loose change in there.
Granted, it wouldn’t hit like a solid loaded sap, these are legal practically everywhere because “it’s just a leather coin purse”.
Thanks for the info, I got this a long time ago on azck and didn’t know who made it. It is very well made. I just re-read that Beware thread though, and you really can’t minimize the fact that he actually decided to threaten this guy, in writing, over requests to buy something. That is really disturbing behavior and you can’t just sweep it under the rug, and it comes across as if that’s what you’re doing in this thread. Personally I think there’s some novelty in owning a product that was made by a psycho, especially if it’s a product whose purpose is to hurt people. But I honestly think Foster owes that guy a sincere apology, and it would go a lot further than pointing the finger at the guy who supposedly “annoyed” him into making credible disturbing threats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back