1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Excellent story regarding History Axes in Maine

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by HARDBALL, Oct 25, 2016.

1. HARDBALL

HARDBALL

May 6, 2001
  2. Moonw

Moonw

Nov 19, 2014
    More power to them, I say!

3. 300Six

300Six

Aug 29, 2013
    Thank you for this. I wonder what those idealist characters (seeking to re-make classic axes) will come up with.

4. ichor

ichor

Aug 27, 2002
    Terrifically interesting and informative! Thanks.

5. Pokerchip

Pokerchip Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Interesting article

6. RICKOFF

RICKOFF

Jun 2, 2009
    Thanks for posting, great article.

7. Moonw

Moonw

Nov 19, 2014
    Well, honestly, it's not like people don't have the materials. I think the only thing lacking is most likely the experience of the people that have retired or long gone. I see no other technical reason why they couldn't at least achieve the success the Swedes had lately.

8. Liam Ryan

Liam Ryan

Sep 26, 2005
    Nice, I am in Maine for the weekend maybe I will come across an antique shop. I have to agree about the Adirondack handles too, they seem pretty pointless.

9. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    I think the point of an Adirondack is that most of the time you use the sharper end of a double bit. Optimize the haft for that work. When you need to do rough work use the tough end of the DB and sacrifice some ergonomics for a few minutes. It's a viable option. Not for everyone.

10. jblyttle

jblyttle Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2014
    Makes sense. They are extremely uncommon. I've literally only come across one ever. When I pointed out to the seller that someone put the wrong handle on a double bit, he schooled me. I learned someting new.

11. jblyttle

jblyttle Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2014
    BTW, I have dealt personally with Alex Koch. He is an honest enthusiast, and told me that he plans on starting a museum.