Exclusive Right Handed Folder?

I’m in the market for a new EDC folder.

I’m right handed and carry tip up, neither of those will change, ever.

I am bummed out that all I see are scales with tons of holes to adjust the clip into positions I will never require.

Any suggestions?

I’m in the market for a new EDC folder.

I’m right handed and carry tip up, neither of those will change, ever.

I am bummed out that all I see are scales with tons of holes to adjust the clip into positions I will never require.

Any suggestions?
Why do you care?
They make them like that because people were bummed out that they didn't have the choice.

As a lefty, I can assure you there are many knives from every company out there that do not have extra holes for anything other than right hand carry. I know this because there are dozens of knives that I would otherwise own. I am disappointed but my wallet is relieved. You should have absolutely no issue finding an abundance of right carry only options.

Why do you care?
They make them like that because people were bummed out that they didn't have the choice.

I mean his phrasing could be a bit more...diplomatic. But I can see the preference since I like the same. It definitely looks better without unneeded clip holes. Hinderer does it well with the tabs were you retain the option but it looks nicer.

Thanks, I'll take everyone's suggestions under advisement. I custom make all my fixed blades but I could never attempt a folder.

I am carrying a Sage 1 now and it has the tiniest of accommodations for the lefties.

By the way, I appreciate southpaws as I am right handed but shoot firearms and pool left handed.

As a lefty, I can assure you there are many knives from every company out there that do not have extra holes for anything other than right hand carry. I know this because there are dozens of knives that I would otherwise own. I am disappointed but my wallet is relieved. You should have absolutely no issue finding an abundance of right carry only options.

Or just carry righty folders tip up like this, as I do.

8l1g0J0.jpg

Here's a few I found in front of me on a shelf. Prices range from $3.79 - $400.00, and everything between.

30ldoh0.jpg

Thanks, I'll take everyone's suggestions under advisement. I custom make all my fixed blades but I could never attempt a folder.

I am carrying a Sage 1 now and it has the tiniest of accommodations for the lefties.

By the way, I appreciate southpaws as I am right handed but shoot firearms and pool left handed.

Good set up. Pistol in left hand and right hand ready to knife.

I’m the same shoot and write left handed but play most sports right. With knives it gets really weird since I prefer some tasks left handed and some tasks right.

Or just carry righty folders tip up like this, as I do.

8l1g0J0.jpg
Tried that, but that way the blade can still open as it can’t stay pressed against the seam. Especially when transitioning from sitting to standing, or climbing stairs etc. Not in an area I want it coming open! Also that’s where my keys go.

I love the aesthetics of a folder with a single-position pocket clip. It's not a must-have for me (I won't let it stop me from buying a knife I otherwise love), but it does make me happy.

Emersons come this way by default, RHTU only. My Spyderco Military and Microtech Socom Elite are single-position clippers are well, but tip-down.

Of the other knives I've owned, I can only recall the Grayman Satu and Les George VECP having single-position clips.

Tried that, but that way the blade can still open as it can’t stay pressed against the seam. Especially when transitioning from sitting to standing, or climbing stairs etc. Not in an area I want it coming open! Also that’s where my keys go.

Honestly I think the whole blade against the seam thing is abit overstated. Especially if the knife has a good detent. I wouldn’t be comfortable carrying a weak detent knife like that.

Obviously you should only carry as you are comfortable doing so.

Honestly I find a lefty liner and framelock so slightly easier to unlock left handed than a righty one that I have never bothered to actually buy a lefty folder. Especially since I like to carry on my right side sometimes.

I'm glad that some knives are reversible for all the lefties out there. At the same time, I prefer the looks and sometimes the feel of those that aren't. I especially dislike the look of those little screw plates some companies use to fill the unused recess.

Over the last few months, my casual EDC has been a Civivi Naja. It's a wonderful slicer. It's comfortable in hand. The clip is not reversible.

timthumb.php

Honestly I think the whole blade against the seam thing is abit overstated. Especially if the knife has a good detent. I wouldn’t be comfortable carrying a weak detent knife like that.

Obviously you should only carry as you are comfortable doing so.

Honestly I find a lefty liner and framelock so slightly easier to unlock left handed than a righty one that I have never bothered to actually buy a lefty folder. Especially since I like to carry on my right side sometimes.

Not a fan of weak detents but even knives with pretty decent detents can pop open given the right or I guess wrong conditions. Buddy of mine was carrying his PM2 tip down right carry and it left him a very nasty and deep gash in his leg. He has now switched the same knife to tip up against the seam and not had any more incidents. For me tip up against the seam is the safest and easiest to use.
I have no issues using “right handed” knives but if I can’t carry it left tip up, I dont even look at them anymore. (Unless it’s a slipjoint which gets tossed in my back pocket).

Back