Exotic Inlay Materials

leatherman

leathermoderator
Been wanting to do this for a while and been too busy, well still too busy but going to get it started anyway.

I am always on the hunt for inlay materials, snake, lizard, animal skins, etc etc. If you have something special and want to trade it for leather work we can surely talk about it. :)

Here is what I have used and/or have on hand. I am having issues getting a hold of certain skins because they are either getting rare or getting too expensive to mess with at the moment. But if you dont see what your looking for please do ask, I have lots more than the following. Its just going to take a while to get it all together a little at a time.

SNAKE
The ever present python, the most common of the "exotics"
python.jpg

Whip Snake, I have a lot of colors in this one, and a buch in white that I can stain almost any color, some take well others dont. Second most common exotic
graycoachwhip.jpg

Rattlesnake, expensive and I dont know why, the buggers are everywhere around here.
diamondbackrattler.jpg

Karung, a bead like scaled tropical snake, becoming endangered so this is all I will get, when its gone its gone, I have several colors I will list as I get them pictured
blackkarung.jpg

graykarung.jpg

Just arrived, a small bit of new to me Anaconda, expensive but so different its worth it, it should look nice with a coat of wax.
newanaconda1.jpg

GATOR AND CROC

The final remnants of a VERY large specimen of alligator
biggator5.jpg

biggator4.jpg

biggator3.jpg

biggator2.jpg

biggator.jpg

I have access to some back straps of croc, heres a close up of one, its white can can be stained
whitecroc2.jpg

I also have some remnants of a nice looking croc, the back strap is gone but the sides are nice, and the tail is awesome! The light blue is not the final color, this will color anything from Tan to black.
whitecroc1.jpg

I've really got to get back at it, but stay tuned for shark and other nifty inlay stuff!

A couple more before bed. :)

Shark, I have basic black and some brown and white remnants plus this wonderful hide,
sharkmottlebrownblack2.jpg

This too is shark, odd coloration of gray spots and white, kind of pretty actually
sharkmottlegray.jpg

If anyone knows what the heck this is please let me know, it looks like snake but the belly is way too narrow. :confused:
unknown1.jpg

Thats all the pics I have at the moment, I need to search out more I know I have around somewhere.

Forgot the Beaver tail skins! Must have been sleepy, this stuff is awesome!

beaver1.jpg

back up to the top for MrLCV and hopefully to add more soon. :D

Awesome stuff ! Thanks for the pics ! But where is the beloved Emu Toe? ;)

Awesome stuff ! Thanks for the pics ! But where is the beloved Emu Toe? ;)

Hey magoo! Still having a heck of a time getting my hands on some, almost to the point of using ostrich but it just doesn't have the same look and feel. Not near as gnarly. :(

I'm liking the beaver tail

I like it as well, and its a hoot to work with. :) I'll have to check how much, I got them in a big box full of other skins.

Sounds like I better go hunting for Emus ! ;) Some great pics here, Dwayne Gives me food for thought.....I like that Beaver Tail and Karung Snake.

Last edited:
Speaking of Karung snake, its an interesting species that is evidently about to be on the endangered species list if things dont improve in its habitat. The scales are not normal for a snake, they are more like a beaded lizard in looks and according to the article I read they exude a slime when alarmed like a eel. Needless to say they live in a wet lands.

I fear I wont get much more of this skin at the price I did before, but its so uncommon and so interesting I'll always be on the prowl for more.

Beaver tail, on the other hand, is more common but i have not worked with it much until I got these skins, I love this stuff!!

Well, basically I love any exotics that aren't run of the mill so to speak. the less common the more I like em.

Probably doesn't make sense to put such a stiff material in a sheath, but have you ever played around with wood? The handle of the knife you used in those pictures really stands out to me.

Hm, maybe you could if you did your Kydex fusion thing.

Sure! Wood would be a great inlay material! It would need to be cut thin, veneer would work well if it was stiff enough to not crack if its flexed any. I think your on to something nice! I'll check for veneers and see what they cost. :)

I've done metal inlays, its an interesting process. Quite a while back a "no longer in business" tactical maker would send me a damascus ingot with his makers mark on it to inlay into his once a year damascus knife.

Sure! Wood would be a great inlay material! It would need to be cut thin, veneer would work well if it was stiff enough to not crack if its flexed any. I think your on to something nice! I'll check for veneers and see what they cost. :)

That would be cool and a project I'd love to see. I'm keeping my eyes on your zombie skin sheath thread as well. Always cool to see what can be done with sheaths as it seems that novel knife feature ideas are all out (or end up being too gimmicky or cheesy!). And, no, zombie skin would not be gimmicky :p

I've done metal inlays, its an interesting process. Quite a while back a "no longer in business" tactical maker would send me a damascus ingot with his makers mark on it to inlay into his once a year damascus knife.

Hey, man, you've gotta make a cool fashion statement. :cool: Seriously though, something subtle but unique like that is awesome.

Got a knife maker "close" to me in Texas, lemme pull on his ear about some damascus scraps for that project... :)

Probably doesn't make sense to put such a stiff material in a sheath, but have you ever played around with wood? The handle of the knife you used in those pictures really stands out to me.

As I was saying!

Not to put some other maker's work in your forum... let me know if I'm out of line. But this just happened to show what I was thinking of!

Yes! I saw that the other day and went Holy Crap! We were just talking about that! I love the look of the matching inlay and handle and his work is simply stunning.

No worries on posting others work here, I do like seeing other makers work. :)

Hi Dwayne,

Do you have any Emu? Not the leg stuff but hide? I'd like to get a fold over pouch style sheath for a Busse Pork Shank and I think black Emu would be perfect. I suppose Ostrich would do too.

Chris.

No emu hide right now, but have been talking to some Aussie suppliers lately so I'll ask. :)

I dont have any ostrich at the moment either so I'll check on the price on that as well, I might be able to get the ostrich a bit easier but that doesnt preclude me getting some emu. I do prefer that funky bird. :D

Sounds good. I'll check back here waiting for its arrival.

Chris.

Back