expensive gun / cheap knife - I don't get it!!!

The comparison of an 'expensive' $500-700 to a $100 knife is kinda funny....

In the gun world, a $500 Glock is about on the same level as a $100 Kershaw. Both are affordable and reliable for the average person. Neither breaks the bank in it's category, but are both well respected in their circles.

A $600 Sebanza would be more like the equivalent of a $1500+ Wilson Combat, Les Bear, or such. You can't compare them on a dollar to dollar basis, but rather take each based on their individual industries.

to each their own

but if you got it, spend it, b/c you can't take it with you...

i do know this - there are two things that I never would have spent the money on - but was gifted, and will absolutely replace them if they are ever lost.
that is a yeti cooler and maui jim sunglasses - but you dont know what your are missing until you've had it.

The most I have ever paid for a knife was $52, a Delica 4. That was more than 10 years ago, and I'm still using it (in my pocket now), along with a few others I got, ranging in price from $20 for a Buck 110 during a promotional sale at a local gun shop to $30 for a used Native that needed only a good sharpening to dress out some blade chipping. I've spent more on multi-tools, the most for a Leatherman Charge TTi plus accessories. I don't own a gun, but every once in a while go to a range and rent one for recreation and to keep up my skills (last time out, one ragged hole touching the bullseye, with one flyer).
Clearly, I don't belong in this conversation, but I like to look in periodically to see how the other half lives :D .

Yeah I don't get it either when people don't have matching grip material.

KgMaHdl.jpg

Uhs6Jvn.jpg

On the other hand, I'm the proud 3rd owner of a 2006, 230 000 km (175 000 miles) car :) To each their own.

I'm no gun guy (anything but really) but those look sweet AF!

Isn't $500-$700 the price for a good quality mid range/duty grade pistol? That's about the price I would pay for a pistol which I didn't care if it got a little muddy or scratched up, or worn form normal use... a working piece. Maybe prices are just jacked where I live.

Is the OP really a valid complaint/observation? C'mon , people buy what they want. How much do you really need to spend on a pistol (new) to get something easy to use, reliable, and sufficient to defend yourself? $250-$400? Is $500-700 any different than buying something that is more to your personal tastes. How much do you need to pay for a knife that will do EDC duties and easy to use, reliable, and sufficient to cut things? $30-$70? Is $100 any different than buying something that is more to your personal tastes? I would argue that spending more than $100 for an EDC is just indulgence and actually adds no real cutting capability.

A pistol better fire and react exactly how you expect when you need it. You are counting on it to not fail, it cold mean your life. An EDC knife better cut things when you want, but is most likely not an emergency use. There is a justification for the difference in price.

There is also another justification for the difference in price; It is their money. Too bad the world doesn't see things exactly like you. Actually, it is good that it is so. Stop being so judgemental.

Last edited:
Back