Expensive knives you actually use

just curious what’s everyone’s most expensive knife they actually carry and or use. I always buy really nice blades but then end up selling them because I’m afraid to use the expensive ones.

Last edited:
Carry and use my large Sebenza 21 every day, always accompanied by something bomb proof in my other pocket, usually from Cold Steel like a Recon 1. For some reason the Sebenza is an expensive knife that just needs to be used, it ages well because each scratch on the titanium just makes it look more utilitarian and tool-like.

Any one of my 5 CRKs (all plain-jane versions). Of those, mainly my large 21 Insingo or my small drop-point Inkosi.

Jim

I have a Wilson Combat/CRK Startac. a couple of different Strider's, MT Scarab, ZT 0303, and a few lower $$ models in my rotation that I sometimes carry. I tend towards the 0303, a 0560, or the Scarab more than the others right now but I get on kicks when I may just carry all auto's, or OTF's, or traditional's from time to time.

Almost forgot I have a Deadlock on order and I probably will not carry that one :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Everybody has their own price limit for what they will or won't use. Some people will tell you that if you own it you should use it and again everybody has their limit. I decided that I would cut down my EDC rotation to a smaller number and actually carry and use some of the nicer knives that I had. In my cast my nice folders are Spyderco limited models with M4 steel and I carry and use 4 of them. They can be relatively expensive knives but I bought mine from the original retailer at the original price so I didn't have to pay inflated prices for them.

I do have other knives that I don't use, mostly fixed blades, but I did pick out a few that I had never thought of using and put them in the using category. I just have a lot more opportunity to carry folders than fixed blades.

Each person has their own limit and they don't have to defend their limit to anyone else, not even to themselves.

Expensive is a relative term and will vary substantially from person to person.
Pretty much anything I buy is a potential user. I top out around $1000-up until there I have been able to justify it in my mind one way or another. I have a few customs(Hinderer, Fellhoelter, Burger) a few Sebenza's and a Strider at this time. Nothing wrong with collecting and keeping them perfect, but I find enjoyment in their use.

XTn5i2t.jpg

My every day carry is a small CR Inkosi. It is, for me, the perfect EDC. I don't feel it in my pocket until I need it. As it is clipped to my jeans, I don't have to hunt in my pocket for it.

I think this one is the most expensive package I've used so far. This from shortly after it got the new pants. Took out the weekend after I got it.

QCCitoul.jpg

ZnESogll.jpg

Probably quickly followed by the infi ratweiler, clearing some vines on the local mtb trail that blew into the trail.
7ToAzmGl.jpg

I think my most expensive EDC/folder was either an auto presidio. Maybe my micarta scaled native 5, but I don't remember what I paid for that several years ago. All of my fixed blades get used though, some just more than others.

I pretty much exclusively carry and use my XM-18 swear point anymore. Sold a bunch of my collection off recently to fund some other needs and this one I just cannot part with, it kinda booted out a good chunk of my collection

I am never sure exactly what qualifies as the "expensive" part of these but these are probably the top monetarily costing knives I own/and use (or wouldn't see a reason to own) ...

Hinderers ... some all tricked out full Ti and colored hardware ... Chris Reeves Sebenzas and WC Inkosis or Zaans ...

Carothers Performance Knives ... from their smaller EDC2s and FK2s up to HDFKs and later this year I will gladly beat the tar out of a beautiful HDMC once they complete the preorders ... and I will be SOOO happy to do so ... and the Carothers Knives seem to rather enjoy a good beating too ... they just smile that bright sparkling D3V smile and say "thank you Sir , may I have another?" ...

used a beautiful Carl Colson Koa wood Pike County Knife to field dress a deer and clean a number of pheasant and quail this past winter.

Dad was a butcher, so I grew up using knives daily. Made my living with them for a number of years. For me there are no safe queens. The real joy is in using it as it was intended. I have a GEC model 23 stag single blade that was $300 and well worth it. I use it, and I love using it. When my kids get my tools after I pass, the memories will be there for them.
Bob

I have never considered value as to whether I would use a knife or not.

However, I understand those that buy knives as display art and have no problem with that if that is what someone wants to do. You pay your hard earned cash to own a nice knife. You can do as you wish with it. Display it or use it, either way it is yours.

As for what I use, well mostly fixed blades, customs and Busses. Some worth over 1k. My folders tend to average $150 to $300, nothing more than that.

Back