Expensive knives you actually use

I’ve carried and used some fairly expensive knives - A sebenza insigno w/CF inlays, a 0560CBCF limited edition, a gold-class mini barrage (red c-tek), and a few others that slip my mind.

I never really held on to them, though, because as novel as it was, it felt like I was carrying a bejeweled hammer around to occasionally hit a nail or two.

The most expensive knife I carry and use frequently is a Spyderco Caribbean, which feels every bit as nice as any $300-$1000 knife I’ve handled and likely has the best cutting geometry of any of them.
You've certainly changed or evolved over the years here. I have done the same.

$250 for PM2? Am I missing something? ;) For that money you can have titanium framelock of Reate or We knives quality.
Don’t laugh to hard. When I first started really getting into knives I bought a standard s30v pm2 from a local knife shop for full blown retail, $205 or something like that.

they're on sale now for 'only' $160 USD (but that is well over $200 CDN - not much compared to most bf members, I know, but still)
M4 steel begs to be used... spydy gayle bradley 2

4ZYmbWiQ42nA.jpg

Last edited:
If I'm afraid to use it, I won't own. My least expensive modern knife (new) is a Massdrop Ferrum Forge Gent select @$120. Most expensive? Bailey model 2 flipper @$350.

All 12 moderns get used.

Despite being a 40th birthday gift, I use the Case Copperlock my buddy gave me.

But I don't abuse my knives. Some I use harder than others. But in the end, it's a tool. The same as choosing to use your rusted old hammer vs the new one so as not to damage it. That's just folly IMO.

I have field dressed so many deer with my Randall 26 Pathfinder... and at least one deer with a custom Half Face Blades Crow Cub.

Either a Large Sebenza 21 or Hinderer XM-18 3.5” Skinny Slicer gets carried every day.

4C2426BA-9090-41A5-8CF7-B9CF9E0198ED.jpeg Worth every penny.

It’s actually pretty amazing how easy M4 sharpens. I had some chips from cutting lime soil additive totes and after a couple of minutes on a King K80 chips are gone.

At any rate, in this point of my life this is about as expensive as I want to go.

GB2....pretty darn good work knife.

5CA3AE54-CBF4-4789-90E5-47D4F40431F6.jpeg

I regularly carry and use my Luma Blades Sentry and my Holt Specter, both of which were in the $500-$1000 range. They're my most expensive knives, but I enjoy them way too much to not use them.

I only buy knives I plan to use (although they don't always "stick"). At the moment, my most expensive is an Emerson Super Commander.

sOYPYlB.jpg

I bought that one used for less than my Microtech Socom Elite, which I bought new -- so it's arguably this one. I use it too. :)

iHVHQhc.jpg

I am a user not a collector, and consequently I won't buy a knife I won't use. One of my more expensive knives is a Koenig Arius Standard with a slight hollow grind CTS-204P blade. Purchased because it hit practically all the important points for me for a working knife, and Nick Shabazz gave it a great review. Cost was $490, which is close to my upper limit and I only go there for the rare perfect example of the knife maker's craft.

The Arius does not disappoint. I carried it everyday for a bunch of months and used it daily for general utility use, and I also carried it while hunting and it field dressed 3 antelopes and 1 whitetail. All of that use was on just the first sharpening upon receiving the knife, done with a Buck Honemaster and DMT diamond hones. There is a lot of dust and dirt ground into a big game animal's fur, and the blade hits bone a lot while field dressing, especially when removing the head and hind quarters, all of which are really hard on a knife blade. After the last of the four animals to be cleaned, the Arius was still hair shaving (but not hair popping) sharp, which is an excellent testament to the blade's durability in real-world conditions, IMHO.

The Arius is the middle knife:

Last edited:
My most expensive blades are CRK and Hinderers. I use them all. I don't abuse them, but none are safe queens.

$250 for PM2? Am I missing something? ;) For that money you can have titanium framelock of Reate or We knives quality.

Yeah $250 is ridiculous for a PM2, but maybe it was right after they were released and people were flipping them on ebay.. I don't know.

Back