1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Expensive knives you actually use

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by kent_michaels, May 6, 2019.

1. jceckrosh

jceckrosh KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 2016
    Most days I carry an Umnumzaan.

2. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    You've certainly changed or evolved over the years here. I have done the same.

3. Jmac1279

Jmac1279 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 16, 2015
    Don’t laugh to hard. When I first started really getting into knives I bought a standard s30v pm2 from a local knife shop for full blown retail, $205 or something like that.

4. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    they're on sale now for 'only' $160 USD (but that is well over $200 CDN - not much compared to most bf members, I know, but still)
    M4 steel begs to be used... spydy gayle bradley 2

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  5. OogieBoogie

OogieBoogie

Mar 29, 2014
    Mine is my Strider AR. I can't (and probably won't ever) afford to be a collector. If I buy it, it gets used. I'm the same way about firearms. In fact, the more I pay for something, the more I expect to be able to use it.

6. K.O.D.

K.O.D. Water my a**! Get this guy some pepto bismol! Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    If I'm afraid to use it, I won't own. My least expensive modern knife (new) is a Massdrop Ferrum Forge Gent select @$120. Most expensive? Bailey model 2 flipper @$350.

All 12 moderns get used.

Despite being a 40th birthday gift, I use the Case Copperlock my buddy gave me.

But I don't abuse my knives. Some I use harder than others. But in the end, it's a tool. The same as choosing to use your rusted old hammer vs the new one so as not to damage it. That's just folly IMO.

OogieBoogie and Lance Leon like this.
  7. E40

E40 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2012
    I have field dressed so many deer with my Randall 26 Pathfinder... and at least one deer with a custom Half Face Blades Crow Cub.

WadeWilson likes this.
  8. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    6B9BA18F-BC40-4F66-8F30-A7815B9CC405.jpeg This 14” Darrel Ralph custom with a CPM S-90-V blade is a good portable food prep knife.

TenShun705, HwangJino, BBW and 2 others like this.
  9. BC42

BC42

Apr 13, 2019
    [​IMG]

10. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Either a Large Sebenza 21 or Hinderer XM-18 3.5” Skinny Slicer gets carried every day.

11. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    4C2426BA-9090-41A5-8CF7-B9CF9E0198ED.jpeg Worth every penny.

It’s actually pretty amazing how easy M4 sharpens. I had some chips from cutting lime soil additive totes and after a couple of minutes on a King K80 chips are gone.

At any rate, in this point of my life this is about as expensive as I want to go.

GB2....pretty darn good work knife.

5CA3AE54-CBF4-4789-90E5-47D4F40431F6.jpeg

12. HCrum87hc

HCrum87hc Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 21, 2012
    I regularly carry and use my Luma Blades Sentry and my Holt Specter, both of which were in the $500-$1000 range. They're my most expensive knives, but I enjoy them way too much to not use them.

13. Dadpool

Dadpool Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2015
    I only buy knives I plan to use (although they don't always "stick"). At the moment, my most expensive is an Emerson Super Commander.

[​IMG]

I bought that one used for less than my Microtech Socom Elite, which I bought new -- so it's arguably this one. I use it too. :)

[​IMG]

14. Pharmagator

Pharmagator Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 17, 2010
    I carried a Gerber Paul back before I sort of have my heart to a Spyderco Military....

15. Pharmagator

Pharmagator Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 17, 2010
    "gave" . %&@#$ autocorrect

16. shinbone

shinbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I am a user not a collector, and consequently I won't buy a knife I won't use. One of my more expensive knives is a Koenig Arius Standard with a slight hollow grind CTS-204P blade. Purchased because it hit practically all the important points for me for a working knife, and Nick Shabazz gave it a great review. Cost was $490, which is close to my upper limit and I only go there for the rare perfect example of the knife maker's craft.

The Arius does not disappoint. I carried it everyday for a bunch of months and used it daily for general utility use, and I also carried it while hunting and it field dressed 3 antelopes and 1 whitetail. All of that use was on just the first sharpening upon receiving the knife, done with a Buck Honemaster and DMT diamond hones. There is a lot of dust and dirt ground into a big game animal's fur, and the blade hits bone a lot while field dressing, especially when removing the head and hind quarters, all of which are really hard on a knife blade. After the last of the four animals to be cleaned, the Arius was still hair shaving (but not hair popping) sharp, which is an excellent testament to the blade's durability in real-world conditions, IMHO.

The Arius is the middle knife:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    JimMD, Novak77, ErocSD and 5 others like this.
  17. taste.blade

taste.blade Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 2016
    4D9F0E09-D1AB-46A9-BA52-CE9F7F5BFDBF.jpeg

18. scribe9154

scribe9154

Dec 27, 2015
    Sebenza 21

353 likes this.
  19. Kreyzhorse

Kreyzhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2013
    My most expensive blades are CRK and Hinderers. I use them all. I don't abuse them, but none are safe queens.

20. brando555

brando555 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 26, 2018
    Yeah $250 is ridiculous for a PM2, but maybe it was right after they were released and people were flipping them on ebay.. I don't know.

cwsmith17 likes this.