1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Experiment

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by Dr Heelhook, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Dr Heelhook

Dr Heelhook

Jul 24, 2007
    I like horizontal carry sheaths and I got a new AG Russell folder I liked so much, so I figured I'd try something different for it. It was a harder project for me, the belt loops were a problem to attach, but it's nice to try something I haven't done before. It sits nicely on the belt and works the way I want it to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hughd, High Standard and Zidfeldts like this.
  2. High Standard

High Standard Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Really cool design. I like the gap for your finger. I looks like it would be real easy to pull the knife out.

Dr Heelhook likes this.
  3. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Nice, an innovative design for sure. Do ya have pics of the back and the belt loops?

4. Dr Heelhook

Dr Heelhook

Jul 24, 2007
    Thanks! Always nice to hear from a pro. The belt loops ended up a bit tight. I should probably have made fold over ones instead:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This time I actually took some more time and effort to make a mold and frame. Made the molding a little easier:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  5. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Cool deal. Couple of ways of fixing those belt loops. 1) Make a stick the size of your belt (width wise) and maybe 8" long. Wet mold your belt loops to the stick. 2) Stick a pair of needle nose pliers in the belt loop and stretch em open gently by opening the pliers against the inside of the belt loops. Maybe one of these will help ya out.

Gafishing likes this.
  6. Dr Heelhook

Dr Heelhook

Jul 24, 2007
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

7. Gafishing

Gafishing Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Aug 7, 2016
    Thanks for the pics.
    I want to learn how to make sheaths and other items with leather. And I really appreciate walkthroughs with pics.

Andy

8. Dr Heelhook

Dr Heelhook

Jul 24, 2007
    Thank you! Yes, that's the idea. It is nice to carry and use, I think. I'll try and improve the design more in the future.

9. WEB2

WEB2

Oct 13, 2004
    Very nice!

10. Stelth

Stelth

Jul 15, 2007
    That's nice, it reminds me of the Schrade 3rd gen sheath a bit.