Exploratory trip into Budawang Wilderness, Australia

Currawong

Gold Member
Yesterday I did a solo bush bashing (off-trail) hike into some old growth forest and rainforest. It's a designated wilderness area in Budawang National Park in NSW, Australia; very few (if any) people wander into this area.

The drive in. About 25km of dirt road like this.
1.jpg

There was some spectacular scenery around, but it's almost impossible to see it because the thick vegetation blocks the view
2.jpg

I looked around a lot and eventually managed to get a picture of the landscape I was going to walk into (specifically, somewhere past the hill on the far right)
3.jpg

I had to climb this tree to get that shot !
4.jpg

Still driving in. Here's a creek crossing. I believe this is the headwaters of the Bimberamala River.
5.jpg

6.jpg

I parked the car on the side of the road at the point nearest to my destination. This side trail would get me a little closer; it's an old management trail. I hopped over the locked gate (this is a wilderness area so vehicles are prohibited). It would take only about 4km of walking down this road before I would have to head off-trail and into the forest.
7.jpg

Some flowers along the way
8.jpg

9.jpg

It became obvious that no one had driven down this trail for a while, even for management activities. There were many fallen trees like this. It got progressively more blocked and overgrown the further I went.
10.jpg

(Continued...)

Off in the distance, to the north, is the fantastic sandstone country of the northern Budawangs. I wanted to see it but again the vegetation was blocking the view. This tree was leaning over at a steep angle, I thought I could walk up it.
11.jpg

The ground dropped steeply away as the trunk angled upward, so I ended up quite high
12.jpg

Here is the view: The Castle and Monolith Valley
13.jpg

The road was disappearing now from disuse
14.jpg

So I decided to leave the trail and head through the forest. Here is a view of the valley I was heading into, but again it was hard to see. I thought I could walk up this old dead, fallen tree, but there were too many branches in the way. I was carrying a field knife...
15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

This is what I could see from the top of that tree trunk
18.jpg

Heading down a steep hill, I put on my 'armour' - gloves, thick shirt, hat, and safety glasses. The vegetation is very thick here and everything is sharp. When I don't wear these clothes I tend to get covered in scratches, blood, and even leeches :eek:
19.jpg

My first glimpse of the rainforest I was searching for; you can see the patch of vegetation of a slightly different colour right in the middle of the picture
20.jpg

(Continued)

Nice pics. What's the definition of rainforest? 3 levels of forest I think I remember lol

I came to the top of some small cliffs. I would have to scramble down them.
21.jpg

22.jpg

The cliff was lined with these bright red Bottlebrushes
23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

At the bottom of the rocks, the forest started to grow taller, and many Grass Trees appeared
26.jpg

27.jpg

Looking up into the canopy. On the left is a Cabbage Tree Palm
28.jpg

A big Eucalypt tree. I put the knife on the trunk for scale; it has a 10" blade to give you an idea of the size.
29.jpg

30.jpg

A fallen tree. You have to scramble over many of these
31.jpg

A termite mound growing in the rainforest. Don't worry, I killed it :D
32.jpg

Cabbage Tree Palm trunk
33.jpg

One of the reasons I wear gloves: a Giant Stinging Tree. The leaves and small branches are covered with needles that contain a poison so painful it will bring you to tears
34.jpg

35.jpg

More giant stinging tree
36.jpg

A glimpse of the surrounding hills as I headed down the hill, deeper into the rainforest
37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

Birds Nest Ferns started to appear on the tree trunks
41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

You can see how they're shaped; the leaves make a net that catches falling vegetation and funnels it to the middle, where water pools and dissolves it, providing nutrients.
45.jpg

Another big eucalypt. I crossed the gully here and started to head back out
46.jpg

On the way up the hill, I could look down see where I'd walked earlier. I came into rainforest off to the right of this pic, then walked over the saddle on the right and down to the left into this patch of rainforest
47.jpg

I kept walking down through here, before crossing the valley and heading up to where this pic was taken from
48.jpg

Darrin Sanders custom in CPM-10V
49.jpg

Just before I got back to the road and headed back out...
50.jpg

Thanks for reading !

Nice pics. What's the definition of rainforest? 3 levels of forest I think I remember lol

In Australia, most forest is eucalypt and acacia. These have 'hard' leaves with a thick waxy surface to prevent water loss, because most of the country is so dry. Rainforest has a very thick canopy (above 50% I think), and the tree species have 'soft' leaves that don't retain water. There are definitely at least three canopy levels here :)

Looking forward to rainforest pics. Got data in the bush that's awsome

Just looked at the new pics!! Beautiful

Last edited:
Beautiful country and those are some huge trees.It looks like the land that time forgot.
Thanks for sharing your adventure with us all. :thumbsup:

Excellent photos

Thanks for sharing your trip

Looking forward to your next trip!!!

Excellent report from a place I would love to visit. Thanks for taking us along.

Awesome I spent a year and a half in the adelaide area in 1997....best man for my buddies wedding who married into a millionaire family
3 month travel visa but his brothers in law were so much fun and would not let me pay for anything I just stayed!!.....had my brothers put my stuff in a stage container on dad's acreage!

I had to google the Giant Stinging Tree... nasty plant!!!! Lucky us that we don't have any vegetation that resembles that tree!

Pictures are great but I still like it better above the tree line!

Thanks for sharing,

Mikel

Back