Exploring: the Devils house

*sorry, no Jk content, it was kinda spur of the moment, in fact, I'll put on picture up top here to make it better, but it doesn't have much to do with the story :p)*

That's right, we went there mwha ha ha

anyway, so my wife's new book got released this week in time for the Mushroom festival (Our local towns very own festival.) It is a product of her interest in ghost stories and the research she was doing for a novel, and it's about all the different "strange" stories around our county, Estill she's collected int he process. (Kentucky has, I think, more counties then any other state at 120.) It's called Haunted Estill County.

That's a long way of explaining about how we came to find the Devils house. It is about the only story she found that i think it's safe to say everyone in the county knows about, but strangely the one we had the hardest trouble finding. People seem to know where it is well enough but they often ended up debating and arguing amongst themselves about the direction. As often happens in Estil they usually fell down to "I'd have to take you to it." but that didn't happen. partly because of the ramshackle crew we operate that we decided this weekend at the Mushroom festival should be called "Two fools with a camera" should we ever incorporate. (This came after a guy who was very interested int he paranormal asked us if we ha d"equipment" to which I said no, we just kinda go wherever a ford Taurus can get us to, then walk, and take pictures.)

What also happened with the release of the book was that suddenly people were less weary about telling us stories even if they didn't get to know us first. Hence why we suddenly had at least 3 people giving us very good directions to the place itself along with a host of stories my wife really wishes she could have put in the book. Since I've be neglecting my "I'll post a few of our day hikes" promise form a while ago...while that's why we're here, if you've stuck with ti this far.

My wife got the directions while I was still at work and so when we met in town she ask me if I wanted to go, this also means I had no knife, or other necessary hiking gear with me. Even when it's not necessary, it's necessary, you know? Anyway all I had on my was this Red farmer:

It's really all you need anyway, even if it's not a JK. Although ti is now snake season and it was a very good warm day for them. Hiking staff also at house, doh!

So maybe I'll show some pictures before the story since I've rattled on for a while already.

official the other side of the Devils house gate :) we had to ask an interesting man operating a car dealership (about 7-8 winding miles from the main road where his sign is-if you know which turns to take) if we could go in. Turns out he doesn't own the property but since he owns the stuff leading up to it and the DH is at the end of that, seems like a good idea anyway. he was pretty cool actually and after my wife had charmed him a while it turns out he'd been to England a few times. So we got along pretty well.

we also had the kids with us

about 1000 yards up a small, fairly idyllic alley, you find the devils house...brace yourselves(said in a comically scary voice, please impersonate for yourselves)

Yeah, i know, pretty cool old house, in fact, name aside, it's a freaking awesome property, comes out of a poem or something, rolling meadows, old barns, tress and isolation, dang

there also seems to be this newer "barn" near it, I'm suspicious of it's originality :p)

but there are a number of obviously older buildings and barns as well

Devils back porch, hardy har har

So what's the story on this one then? Well I'll tell you, and it has to do with this entrance to...nothing, about half way up the trail to the house

As well as everyone thinking ti haunted and visiting it when they were kids (hence the new gate and lock on said gate) there are a number of "ghost" stories surrounding the locally named Devils house. The one that is most often repeated is a story about a two brothers who get into a fight. The one man shot the other in a drunken angry rage, then himself. "Both are said to haunt the grounds."

okay, I don't do ghost stories well, but that's about it. What i also found interesting talking to the people who lived around it today was that there is supposed to have been another property near it not so long ago, where two brothers died ("form bad alcohol or something.") Now I can narrative dissection this thing to hell, but it's not a lot to go on. I do think my wife has a point that it may well have been this story that got told, change and attached to the other "red" and still here house. But it's also no small point that Estill is dry and it's cut by between yards with "pro drinking" and "not pro0drinking signs" and has been for a while. Either way, seems someone died around there, some truth to the story, even if no truth to the ghost. For us it was a nice warn day out, didn't see any snakes, dogwoods blooming, gars green a lush, heck "this it was a paradise" was our impression of the place. The man who lives next tot he property didn't tell us any ghost stories. And what I've learned going along with my wife on her story hunts is that most people'll tell you a good ghost if they got them and you ask.

...Pretty cool old house though, and a seriously gorgeous, and definitely secluded, old farm, whcih I always like myself.

Thanks,

Kyenglish

Last edited:
Thanks tahts :)

Felt bad about the lack of Jk content so here's what made it on my belt when I did get home, we went on a small walk and I snapped a picture

Very cool. I love wandering around places like that. Thanks for sharing. As for the added JK content, I absolutely love those scales!!!

Great story and pics man! Thank you for sharing. :)

I bet the little ones had a good time too.

Nice! Thanks for the story and cool pictures!

best

mqqn

Nice story and pics! One question, how would someone go about getting a copy of your wife`s book, who is carrying it?

thanks all! glad you got some fun out of it, we sure like getting out. (psst: found a road in our county called Jake's Heavenly Highway" can't live near a road named that and not go see it right? next trip out maybe :))

John I'll send you a pm.

Nice story and pics! One question, how would someone go about getting a copy of your wife`s book, who is carrying it?

Just got a copy of Peter`s wife`s book yesterday, it`s one that once you start reading it, you can`t stop!

Showed this to my wife, it made her very happy, thanks for saying so john :)

I stayed up untill 10 last night to finish reading it, and anybody who knows me knows I don`t stay up that late when I have to get up at 2:30 the next morning!

Cool bit of exploring Pete.
The name devils house reminds me of a place we would pass on the road to a friends house when I was a kid.
He & his family lived way out in the country & we didn't get to go out there very often being so far out,but there was an old abandoned house with a front window broken is such a way that the missing pane looked like the silhouette of a ghost.(all dark & foreboding.)
My older brother would yell the GHOST HOUSE!,to scare my little sister as we passed & she would duck down below the window line of the car in fright.
We would always get a laugh outta scaring poor little sis.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the pics & the great memories of a long lost childhood Pete.

*sorry, no Jk content, it was kinda spur of the moment, in fact, I'll put on picture up top here to make it better, but it doesn't have much to do with the story :p)*

That's right, we went there mwha ha ha

anyway, so my wife's new book got released this week in time for the Mushroom festival (Our local towns very own festival.) It is a product of her interest in ghost stories and the research she was doing for a novel, and it's about all the different "strange" stories around our county, Estill she's collected int he process. (Kentucky has, I think, more counties then any other state at 120.) It's called Haunted Estill County.

That's a long way of explaining about how we came to find the Devils house. It is about the only story she found that i think it's safe to say everyone in the county knows about, but strangely the one we had the hardest trouble finding. People seem to know where it is well enough but they often ended up debating and arguing amongst themselves about the direction. As often happens in Estil they usually fell down to "I'd have to take you to it." but that didn't happen. partly because of the ramshackle crew we operate that we decided this weekend at the Mushroom festival should be called "Two fools with a camera" should we ever incorporate. (This came after a guy who was very interested int he paranormal asked us if we ha d"equipment" to which I said no, we just kinda go wherever a ford Taurus can get us to, then walk, and take pictures.)

What also happened with the release of the book was that suddenly people were less weary about telling us stories even if they didn't get to know us first. Hence why we suddenly had at least 3 people giving us very good directions to the place itself along with a host of stories my wife really wishes she could have put in the book. Since I've be neglecting my "I'll post a few of our day hikes" promise form a while ago...while that's why we're here, if you've stuck with ti this far.

My wife got the directions while I was still at work and so when we met in town she ask me if I wanted to go, this also means I had no knife, or other necessary hiking gear with me. Even when it's not necessary, it's necessary, you know? Anyway all I had on my was this Red farmer:

It's really all you need anyway, even if it's not a JK. Although ti is now snake season and it was a very good warm day for them. Hiking staff also at house, doh!

So maybe I'll show some pictures before the story since I've rattled on for a while already.

official the other side of the Devils house gate :) we had to ask an interesting man operating a car dealership (about 7-8 winding miles from the main road where his sign is-if you know which turns to take) if we could go in. Turns out he doesn't own the property but since he owns the stuff leading up to it and the DH is at the end of that, seems like a good idea anyway. he was pretty cool actually and after my wife had charmed him a while it turns out he'd been to England a few times. So we got along pretty well.

we also had the kids with us

about 1000 yards up a small, fairly idyllic alley, you find the devils house...brace yourselves(said in a comically scary voice, please impersonate for yourselves)

Yeah, i know, pretty cool old house, in fact, name aside, it's a freaking awesome property, comes out of a poem or something, rolling meadows, old barns, tress and isolation, dang

there also seems to be this newer "barn" near it, I'm suspicious of it's originality :p)

but there are a number of obviously older buildings and barns as well

Devils back porch, hardy har har

So what's the story on this one then? Well I'll tell you, and it has to do with this entrance to...nothing, about half way up the trail to the house

As well as everyone thinking ti haunted and visiting it when they were kids (hence the new gate and lock on said gate) there are a number of "ghost" stories surrounding the locally named Devils house. The one that is most often repeated is a story about a two brothers who get into a fight. The one man shot the other in a drunken angry rage, then himself. "Both are said to haunt the grounds."

okay, I don't do ghost stories well, but that's about it. What i also found interesting talking to the people who lived around it today was that there is supposed to have been another property near it not so long ago, where two brothers died ("form bad alcohol or something.") Now I can narrative dissection this thing to hell, but it's not a lot to go on. I do think my wife has a point that it may well have been this story that got told, change and attached to the other "red" and still here house. But it's also no small point that Estill is dry and it's cut by between yards with "pro drinking" and "not pro0drinking signs" and has been for a while. Either way, seems someone died around there, some truth to the story, even if no truth to the ghost. For us it was a nice warn day out, didn't see any snakes, dogwoods blooming, gars green a lush, heck "this it was a paradise" was our impression of the place. The man who lives next tot he property didn't tell us any ghost stories. And what I've learned going along with my wife on her story hunts is that most people'll tell you a good ghost if they got them and you ask.

...Pretty cool old house though, and a seriously gorgeous, and definitely secluded, old farm, whcih I always like myself.

Thanks,

Kyenglish
Please email me
Realhauntedkentucky@gmail.com

Interesting to see someone join the forum just to bring and old post back up; goes to show how far-reaching the forum is for people doing online searches.

I wonder what happened to our old friend Peter - he came to a couple of gatherings, was very active in the forum for a few years and even had his own line of small JK pocket knives which seemed popular with the JK fans at the time.

Then *poof* , maybe it was something to do with the visit to the Devil's House......

I will try to raise the spirits - KYenglish KYenglish

Along the lines of this thread, one of my local friends here in south central Tennessee bought a house that he later found out was featured on a show about haunted houses. The show is on Travel Channel and is called The Dead Files, the episode is number 3 and it is called Controlled.

My friends have never seen any paranormal activity at the house, save for a lot of traffic down their street when the episode occasionally airs lol.

best

mqqn

Back