Exposure

kamagong

Gold Member
Has anyone seen the movie "Exposure?" Who directed it and when did it come out? I want to go check it out.

If you are talking about the knife fighting movie.

High art, aka A grande arte, aka Exposure 1991

knife fighting movie with Randall model 14:

Staring Peter Coyote, Amanda Pays and Tchecky Karyo

Directed by: Walter Salles Jr.

Story:

Peter Mandrake (Coyote) is an American photographer hunting images in Rio de Janeiro. Confronted with the death of a young hooker who used to model for him, Mandrake becomes entangled in a whirlwind of events which ultimately plunge him into a nightmare of monstrous dimensions: his girlfriend Marie (Pays), an archaeologist doing research in Brazil, is brutalized when the couple are attacked in their apartment by a pair of hired killers. He himself almost loses his life when the intruders wound him severely with a knife.

Obsessed with thoughts of revenge, Mandrake sets out to learn the ancient killing secrets of the knife, tutored by the master of the art, Hermes (Karyo). Through the dark streets of Rio de Janeiro, Mandrake will trace a story of a personal revenge which carries him into the underground world of international drugs and arms dealers, and across Brazil's vast, sweeping, lowlands to the isolated border with Bolivia and the Andes, before he returns to his work as an inspired photographer.

Cheers,

André

I just finished watching this movie 5 minutes ago. I can't comment on the knifefighting (other than it looked cool), but it's a decent flick. Kinda noir-ish. Great knife exposure though. I don't know what kind of knife Tchéky Karyo used, but Peter Coyote used a Randall 14. In the scene where they chose his knife, there were several others. Sorry, I couldn't ID them, I'm not very good with fixed blades, except of course the Applegate Fairbairn. The bad guy had what looked to be ivory handled, with engraved bolsters. Very slick looking knife, but I have no idea what kind it was (or if it was just a prop entirely). A bad guy lackey's tool was a PE Spyderco Police. My video store only has Exposure on video, not DVD, so I couldnt' get any screenshots.

on the table: Randall 2, AF Dagger (Blackjack?), Randall 18, Joe Kious Subhilt Dagger, Randall 14, Benchmade Delta Raider, Buck 119 (120?), and... something

stol11ar.jpg

stol26ke.jpg

the bad guy's knife, i have no idea what it is

badguy17yo.jpg

badguy26bn.jpg

badguy46gc.jpg

badguy37fh.jpg

Good shots. I lightened up a couple of them for you, they can be seen better now.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• badguy37fh.jpg
    badguy37fh.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 1,024
  • stol11ar.jpg
    stol11ar.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 1,032
Cali and Planterz

Thanks for the great pictures from the movie and of the knives. This thead is becomming very good and informative.
I have the original VHS movie where the title is High Art but would love to get the movie on DVD.

Cheers,

André

Amazon and ebay both turn up diddly squat for me.

Cali and Planterz, thanks for the screen shots. I purchased the vedio awhile back too unable to find the dvd. Great movie with lots of knife action. There was also a Spyderco Police in it as well I believe.

Seventeen of available on VHS at Amazon (search on Exposure). I bought one about a year ago and it was in great shape. Not on DVD at present, maybe never.

Cali, thanks for posting the pic, it's a beauty.

I sure can't afford one of those (besides, he doesn't make them anymore) nor the sharpened spine (against CO state law) but I have a BR Sandstorm II on order I'm patiently awaiting its arrival. Only knife I will own with a sub-hilt so I'm curious how it will feel.

Click image to enlarge:
BR Sandstorm II.jpg

CS Bear River Classic look almost exactly like it and had a sharpened spine:
CS Bear River Classic.gif

Regards

I know this is an old thread but thought I would share that I have had no luck with Netflix and the above movie under any title.

Thanks for the pics.

I ordered my thru Best Buy on VHS several years ago.Cost about $25.00.Titled "Exposure".

the knife of the bad guy(raul cortez)
was named as one roderick"caribou" chappel
by the autor rubem fonseca in the book
in the movie i can´t identify
there´s a nickel silver and ivory handle

the movie was striked(boycott)because the govern
close the embrafilme(govern film branch)and walter salles
was striked by the critic and teh newspapers...the movie
was aired only 7 days in the cinemas... i saw in the cinemas
but the movie make an "exterior distribuition" outside of Brazil..
in japan ...then in USA

Directed by: Walter SallesGenre: Drama,ThrillerCountry: Brazil,USALanguage: English,Portuguese,SpanishUser Rating: 6.2/10 (240 votes) Runtime: Spain:104 min | USA:99 minAwards: 2 winsCast (first 10): Peter Coyote, Tchéky Karyo, Amanda Pays, Raul Cortez, Giulia Gam, Eduardo Conde, René Ruiz, Tonico Pereira, Miguel Ángel Fuentes, Cássia Kiss

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101834/

you can catch the download links in google
i´ve the vhs original movie but the quality now is poor
because of the time(the vhs is older)

here you can see the knives and the fights
you tube links to exposure/high art:
http://www.videosurf.com/video/expo...-grande-arte-hermes-excerpt-part-ii-134522675
http://www.videosurf.com/video/expo...-grande-arte-hermes-excerpt-part-ii-134522675

i think the knives that Tchéky Karyo uses in the lessons are two:

first scene in the knife fighting in the street i think there´s the joe kious in the movie or some blade like blackjack knive...the blade is long like randall model one ....but its too fast to identify...but there´s an image of two angle
of reflection in the blade... like the sub hilted of joe kyous...but more long
than that hermes buy for a friend(in the movie ...on the scene of the display)

on the display....it´s a randall 14 ...but in the lessons i think they uses
karyo and coyote....a model 15......smaller

Back