Extended Tool Kits.

Mack

Expert Ultracrepidarian
Platinum Member
Every time I peruse this forum and the HI site, I am always drawn to pics of the tool kits.
I think I need one. If you have one and have pics of them I'd love to see them. What tools do you have? Do you use them? Do I need them as badly as I think I do?;)

Do I need them as badly as I think I do?;)
Well, do ya?:D

678ppv.jpg

Please excuse my ignorance, as I have little knowledge of Kukris or of Nepalese culture. Can you identify the objects shown and explain their uses?

I think I see a fire making kit with a flint rock and tinder, but the other objects I do not know. Is there a saw, a fork, and why is it called an extended tool kit? Thank you for ay information you can provide. :confused:

Last edited:
The usual khukuri sheath holds the khukuri itself, and two tools: the chakmak and karda. The chakmak is a burnisher, like a steel. The karda is a small utility knife.

We occasionally see a khukuri of exceptional quality, graced with more than the two usual tools. With this extended tool set, the owner can do more different tasks without carrying another kit.

Please excuse my ignorance, as I have little knowledge of Kukris or of Nepalese culture. Can you identify the objects shown and explain their uses?

I think I see a fire making kit with a flint rock and tinder, but the other objects I do not know. Is there a saw, a fork, and why is it called an extended tool kit? Thank you for ay information you can provide. :confused:

Its called an extended tool kit because khukuri normally only come with a karda and chakmak.
These are also sometimes called "Doctors" kits because these little tools could be very handy in extreme circumstances requiring minor surgeries while stranded in the wilds of the Himalayas sometimes many hours or days from any medical care.

1) Tinder Pouch
2) Flint
3) Tinder
4) Awl (sometimes may have at least one side made like a small file)
5) Saw
6) Hook (sometimes a u shaped hook, sometimes a button hook)
7) Tweezers
8) Karda
9) Chakmak

t0m7.jpg

Some examples of the Dui Chirra khukuri with the tools:

GIANT DUI CHIRRA BY TIRTHA

Overall length --23''
Weight --47oz
Spine thickness --1/4''
Six tools
Satisal wood handle
Standard leather scabbard
Awesome work by Tirtha and Sarki
Add to your ongoing collection at $295. *SOLD*

DUI CHIRRA BY TIRTHA

Overall length--21''
WEight --31 oz
Spine thickness --3/8''
White metal fittings
Sisau wood handle
Six tools
Standard leather scabbard
Excellent work by Tirtha
Add to your collection at $195.

1-28-13001_zpsa9be949f.jpg

1-28-13002_zps7f9b97d8.jpg

21 inch 31 ounce Dui chirra by Tirtha. All fittings are white metal. Nice rig. Epoxy fix crack in satisal wood handle. Today's best deal at $85 YBB. *SOLD*

Its called an extended tool kit because khukuri normally only come with a karda and chakmak.
These are also sometimes called "Doctors" kits because these little tools could be very handy in extreme circumstances requiring minor surgeries while stranded in the wilds of the Himalayas sometimes many hours or days from any medical care.

1) Tinder Pouch
2) Flint
3) Tinder
4) Awl (sometimes may have at least one side made like a small file)
5) Saw
6) Hook (sometimes a u shaped hook, sometimes a button hook)
7) Tweezers
8) Karda
9) Chakmak

t0m7.jpg

Thanks Karda, and the rest of you. I'm going to have to watch more closely and grab one when I see it. All of these tools will be handy to have and the cool factor cannot be ignored.

I've contemplated the idea of a slight modernization of the khukuri kit, like replacing the karda with a SAK or Leatherman, and possibly adding a small stone. Has anyone tried this sort of concept?

Thanks Karda, and the rest of you. I'm going to have to watch more closely and grab one when I see it. All of these tools will be handy to have and the cool factor cannot be ignored.

You will end up with a Berkley Special or Dui Chirra. It's the only model these kits come with. They are not sold separately, as like the regular Chakma and Karda, they are made for each khukuri.

You will end up with a Berkley Special or Dui Chirra. It's the only model these kits come with. They are not sold separately, as like the regular Chakma and Karda, they are made for each khukuri.

Good to know. I'll have to look at the Berkley Special. I don't think I've seen one yet. The Dui Chirra is quite spectacular.

I have always loved these kits. I really get a traditional older time feel when I see them. Is that little spoon one used for ear cleaning? I wonder which tool is the preferred one to use with the flint?

:)
Mark

Back