Extrema Ratio Resolza – review (lot of pics)

Intro
The "resolza" (or "pattadese") is the traditional handmade folding knife of Sardinia.
Since mid XIX century is the cutting tools of every shepherd or hunter of this beautiful Italian Mediterranean island.
The traditional resolza has horn scales, the 12 cm long blade is in carbon steel and the shape is typically as the Myrtle leaves. We are speaking about a friction folder here, no blade lock at all, just the friction between the blade and the horn scales. The pivot of the traditional “resolza” is filled throughout a metallic ring (usually brass, or silver sometimes) that made stronger the connection between blade and handle.
There is a beautiful museum of Resolza in Sardinia, named Culter-Museum, in Pattada
http://www.culterpattada.com/default.aspx
wvtqPEH.jpg

(Traditional Resolza by Santino Pudda)

RESOLZA by Extrema Ratio
It’s not easy to modernize a traditional knife like “resolza”. Extrema Ratio made this operation, and the result is RESOLZA
zBMgMvN.jpg

RESOLZA blade is 12 cm long, and the blade shape is – like his traditional ancestor – as the Myrtle leave. Also the handle has a similar shape of the traditional knife. Materials are completely different instead: steel blade is N690Co, handle is in Aluminum Anticorodal. Again, in E.R. RESOLZA we may found a liner-lock
I6D1mfU.jpg

BVZUsHw.jpg

qO17ATt.jpg

RESOLZA specs (by Extrema Ratio site):
Blade: N690Co stainless steel (58HRC)
Hanlde: Anticorodal
Blade lenght: 122 mm.
Blade thickness: 3,0 mm.
Total lenght: 268 mm.
Weight: 93 g.
Blade lock: Liner Lock
Blade finishing: MIL-C-13924 (stone-washed blade available)

RESOLZA is a well made tool. Precise working, nice fit and finish. The blade is deadly centered, the opening is really smooth. No blade play at all. In summary, my first impressions are really good. RESOLZA is not a small folder, anyway is compact enough to be putted in trouser pockets or Maxpedition Fatboy side pocket. The weight also is acceptable.
LApdwxg.jpg

dZfZQPm.jpg

5KOkjUM.jpg

TBTPmxS.jpg

67KAfbX.jpg

icGeTQS.jpg

BDBJ2Jy.jpg

FV4Zj0a.jpg

iwK8EWA.jpg

2CuRoFZ.jpg

RESOLZA handle is long, the knife is light and handling it is easy and safe. Anticorodal is grippy enough to have a safe handling. Opening the blade request two hands (no thumb-hole), folding the blade also request two handles initially but after some exercise you may remove the blade lock and folding the blade with just one hand
06kl6Co.jpg

H1TWECI.jpg

rHxZHxp.jpg

How about carving wood. The 3,0mm thick blade is full-flat grinded, is really sharp and just work great on wood. Making notch or making point is really easy. Feathers are also easy to made. Not bad at all.
mlsH0nx.jpg

0PmSl8l.jpg

YhS57S8.jpg

XRn9QRR.jpg

TwahjHz.jpg

Wjvtf3M.jpg

VKECce7.jpg

xJ5cTrm.jpg

4fMwRr6.jpg

K4mEDvF.jpg

RESOLZA, as his ancestor, is a knife that you may use nicely to prepare food. Vegetables, meat, cheese, bread, no matter you may cut always easily. The open structure of the handle allows for a deep rinse with water, what I like.
uPlmcX4.jpg

TruZoaF.jpg

tMSsz0x.jpg

9yGytNV.jpg

sDAjGty.jpg

XVhwGso.jpg

YiDUbFL.jpg

4Si7DEJ.jpg

WqeFtrd.jpg

XWlGGmy.jpg

D3OEhKH.jpg

rphmFEH.jpg

faqK5un.jpg

KSyYsOb.jpg

teJw86t.jpg

45ldn93.jpg

BAJ2BxR.jpg

70uFhIT.jpg

Paper, cardboard, plastic, ropes: RESOLZA work nicely on these materials, with precise cuts. The edge is still sharp also after some work on these kind of materials.
WpoZAkj.jpg

zIPyPUd.jpg

MCtYLMb.jpg

02AWFaw.jpg

se1619F.jpg

9fr7v4J.jpg

ZKibfWu.jpg

npR2aoo.jpg

yazfAK6.jpg

Resuming, RESOLZA is, in my opinion, a well-made modernization of the traditional Sardinian folding knife. Is versatile, light, robust, in few words a really good EDC knife
jEgIkZh.jpg

Cheers,
AD

Meraviglioso! Thanks for another great review.

I actually posted this over at the Traditional forums just to announce it about two weeks ago. I am a fan of the Sardinian pattadese/resolza pattern ever since I saw it on Anthony Bourdain's cooking/travel show some years back.

While I initially did not warm-up to "modernizing" time-tested traditional designs, I must say, it is faithful to the pattern and the added security of the liner lock adds to its utility.

Here's a nice clip of Bourdain's Sardinia episode where I first saw the pattada.

[youtube]8bez-pMf8Rw[/youtube]

Great review! I just got the stonewashed version so I figured I'd add my pictures of it..... don't mean to necro post, but it's easier to keep it all in one place.

BTW, I can open this knife one handed pretty easily by pinching the blade open with my thumb and middle finger and then using thumb pressure on the blade.

Great review! I just got the stonewashed version so I figured I'd add my pictures of it..... don't mean to necro post, but it's easier to keep it all in one place.

BTW, I can open this knife one handed pretty easily by pinching the blade open with my thumb and middle finger and then using thumb pressure on the blade.

I've had my stonewashed Resolza for a few months. With a 4.7" blade (0.115" thick) it only weighs 3.28 ounces due to the aluminum handle and narrow profile. Melts in your pocket and better as is without a clip. I open it one-handed using my thumb and index finger. Resolza is a surprisingly handy EDC.

That is a beautiful knife. I love the lines on that. Thanks all for posting. Any BF dealers carry these?

Any BF dealers carry these?

It's possible, but I was only able to find them on Italian dealer sites. Shipping is a bit high, but actually rather quick from the two I generally use. Arrived in 3 days.

Hi, Nice review, I just bought the Resolza L and S in tactical black finish, thoose are great slicers for utulity,but not for heavy use,i also notice there is a micro blade play on resolza L (maybe less than half mm) when its locked up, and liner lock pressure is little bit soft, i am not sure is it the desing itself or i have a lemon, is there any blade play when locked up on your unit?

Great review and pictures. I have a couple of traditional pattada knives and have been on the line about buying this modern interpretation. My two traditional knives are similar but one has light colored horn handles and the other has dark horn handles. I refer to them as the "la bionda" (the blonde) and "la mora" (the black). I could get a Resolza with stone washed blade and black blade and keep the naming scheme and promote the classics to safe queens. I think I'm going to do it... the search begins.

Not a fan of the more outlandish ER knives but that is a good looking knife.

Excellent review/pics.

I wish to revive this thread as Extrema Ratio has a new Resolza model 10 which I like. As such, I would like to ask those already owning the other Resolza models on how are their knives holding up through the years especially the (inset?) liner lock?

Back