Extreme Lock Stick Issues?

I bought a brand new Emerson Tiger-SF a few weeks ago. I expected lock stick right out of the box from the research I have done on Emerson knives. But, most of the time when I use the wave feature or flick the blade open hard with wrist action, via thumb disc, the liner lock moves over on the blade tang sometimes upwards of 60-85%. This causes me to use most of my effort with the tip of my thumb and added pressure from my other hand to force the lock over to close the blade.
Moreover, I do not have this issue when I casually open the knife slowly; liner lock seems to lock up around 20% or so. It still has a lot of lock stick, but it is the kind of lock stick you would expect from a newer Emerson. With that being said, I would like to ask the experienced owners of Emerson's knives if being able to see the liner lock physically move over that much is a problem? Should I send it back in to Emerson to see if mine is a lemon? Or is this sort of thing to be expected?

All of mine move over further when opened hard, but they also "reset" to their normal lockup when slow-rolled open. What you're describing sounds normal to me.

Waving is harder on the lock and will cause it to wear more quickly.

I bought a brand new Emerson Tiger-SF a few weeks ago. I expected lock stick right out of the box from the research I have done on Emerson knives. But, most of the time when I use the wave feature or flick the blade open hard with wrist action, via thumb disc, the liner lock moves over on the blade tang sometimes upwards of 60-85%. This causes me to use most of my effort with the tip of my thumb and added pressure from my other hand to force the lock over to close the blade.
Moreover, I do not have this issue when I casually open the knife slowly; liner lock seems to lock up around 20% or so. It still has a lot of lock stick, but it is the kind of lock stick you would expect from a newer Emerson. With that being said, I would like to ask the experienced owners of Emerson's knives if being able to see the liner lock physically move over that much is a problem? Should I send it back in to Emerson to see if mine is a lemon? Or is this sort of thing to be expected?

Waving is really supposed to be something you practice until it is second nature. Then its main use is as self defense knife opening in which case a more late and stuck lockup might be a good thing.

In the mean time you could try learning to wave the knife more gently. Waving is very hard on the lock. For non combat wavings you would be wise not to be waving the knife as forcefully as you can.

On any knife the hard wrist flick will be hard on the lock.

Apply some ink from a Sharpie to the locking area. It provides a reasonably long lasting "lube" without causing lock slippage.

Back