1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Extreme Lock Stick Issues?

Discussion in 'Emerson Knives' started by SwampFishin’, Jul 14, 2019.

1. SwampFishin’

SwampFishin’

Jul 14, 2019
    I bought a brand new Emerson Tiger-SF a few weeks ago. I expected lock stick right out of the box from the research I have done on Emerson knives. But, most of the time when I use the wave feature or flick the blade open hard with wrist action, via thumb disc, the liner lock moves over on the blade tang sometimes upwards of 60-85%. This causes me to use most of my effort with the tip of my thumb and added pressure from my other hand to force the lock over to close the blade.
    Moreover, I do not have this issue when I casually open the knife slowly; liner lock seems to lock up around 20% or so. It still has a lot of lock stick, but it is the kind of lock stick you would expect from a newer Emerson. With that being said, I would like to ask the experienced owners of Emerson's knives if being able to see the liner lock physically move over that much is a problem? Should I send it back in to Emerson to see if mine is a lemon? Or is this sort of thing to be expected?

Dadpool likes this.
  2. Dadpool

Dadpool Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2015
    All of mine move over further when opened hard, but they also "reset" to their normal lockup when slow-rolled open. What you're describing sounds normal to me.

Waving is harder on the lock and will cause it to wear more quickly.

SwampFishin’ likes this.
  3. Turbo4x4

Turbo4x4 Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2011
    This is a very common problem.
    Only X-HD series is deprived of it.
    DSC_a0563.jpg

115Italian and SwampFishin’ like this.
  4. SwampFishin’

SwampFishin’

Jul 14, 2019
    It doesn’t bother me too bad, gives me reassurance that the lock won’t slip lol. But dang, it sure is very hard to close the blade sometimes. I’m going to have to check the “X-HD” series out; this is honestly my first time hearing about them.

5. Turbo4x4

Turbo4x4 Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2011
    Its greatest serie from EKI- Extremely Heavy Duty, ucompromissed knives.
    In this forum You can find thread about.
    DSC_a1543.jpg DSC_b1540.jpg

115Italian likes this.
  6. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Waving is really supposed to be something you practice until it is second nature. Then its main use is as self defense knife opening in which case a more late and stuck lockup might be a good thing.

In the mean time you could try learning to wave the knife more gently. Waving is very hard on the lock. For non combat wavings you would be wise not to be waving the knife as forcefully as you can.

On any knife the hard wrist flick will be hard on the lock.

7. Murindo

Murindo Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Apply some ink from a Sharpie to the locking area. It provides a reasonably long lasting "lube" without causing lock slippage.