Eyeglass case?

Well, dang it, I went and got glasses and now my EDC bag is all screwed up. :mad:

Suffice to say, I've reached an age where I need to wear glasses sometimes. Not always, just sometimes. This is a problem because when I need them, I tend to not have them. So I need to be able to keep my glasses in my EDC bag.

I have two pairs of glasses: 1 clear for night driving and the other pair tinted for the day. I can easily get one pair into my bag (a Maxped Lunada), but if I'm carrying my netbook then there's no way to fit in the other pair.

So what I'm looking for is a semi-rigid or rigid MOLLE-compatible sunglass case to attach to the outside of the bag. I've found some in my google searching for under $10, but they want $8 for shipping. :mad::mad:

Usually eyeglass cases don't offer any attachment points for strapping the case to other things. If you have any bright ideas on something I can get or make around town, let me know. Or if you know of an outfit that doesn't charge an arm and a leg for shipping, let me know. $8 for shipping is unreasonable.

I've looked at the maxped website, but nothing there leaps out as a reasonable solution.

Thanks.

I know it's not molle compatible, but I use a plastic poster mailing tube cut to length. I lined it with a scrap of plush carpet & put the caps on either end. The size fits both my prescription sunglasses and my regular glasses, so whichever I'm not wearing is in the tube. The tube is rigid enough that it protects them from getting smashed by books or whatnot when I throw my field bag around.

I've been using this system for 3 years of edc & field work & still going strong.

I know it's not molle compatible, but I use a plastic poster mailing tube cut to length. I lined it with a scrap of plush carpet & put the caps on either end. The size fits both my prescription sunglasses and my regular glasses, so whichever I'm not wearing is in the tube. The tube is rigid enough that it protects them from getting smashed by books or whatnot when I throw my field bag around.

I've been using this system for 3 years of edc & field work & still going strong.

Yeah, I've been thinking about some kind of a tube system. I wonder how hard it would be to make something out of kydex.

Anyway, the point is I need to get both pairs of glasses into or onto my bag. As I said, I don't need to wear my glasses all the time, so for a good chunk of my day I'm not wearing either pair. Hence, the need to be able to store two pairs of glasses on my Lunada.

I guess I should just choke down the $8 shipping fee. It kills me to do it, though. What a ripoff.

Yeah, I've been thinking about some kind of a tube system. I wonder how hard it would be to make something out of kydex.

Anyway, the point is I need to get both pairs of glasses into or onto my bag. As I said, I don't need to wear my glasses all the time, so for a good chunk of my day I'm not wearing either pair. Hence, the need to be able to store two pairs of glasses on my Lunada.

I guess I should just choke down the $8 shipping fee. It kills me to do it, though. What a ripoff.

How big are the frames on your glasses? You might be able to put a straight piece of plastic lengthwise in a slightly larger diameter tube, so that you have 2 semi-circle cross-sections... one for each pair. Just a thought.

You could also probably find a nice little pencil box or fishing lure container at the nearest box store that might work. Plano makes some inexpensive but sturdy little cases with multiple compartments.

edit: I guess the problem is more with the size of the container than anything, eh? I'm not familiar with the Lunada, but maybe some rearranging might give you a different shape of space to keep your glasses in? If not, you might be able to find a suitable molle pouch at a local surplus store, then put a tube or other container in that to save yourself the shipping.

Last edited:
Most of my glasses come with a hard clamshell case, but if not, I find one that fits. Then, the hard case goes inside a pocket in my bag. I also carry a few alcohol wipes and a cleaning cloth in the case.

I've been recently looking at this:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE001-1.html

When I was in the Army, I always carried an Eagle glasses case. It was made of cordura or ballistic nylon, was semi-rigid, zipped closed, and had a clip on one end. I'd clip it to a belt loop. I carried this because I always removed my glasses while doing PT or getting smoked or getting seriously dirty.

Most of my glasses come with a hard clamshell case, but if not, I find one that fits. Then, the hard case goes inside a pocket in my bag. I also carry a few alcohol wipes and a cleaning cloth in the case.
That´s what I do too. Since I'm blind as a bat without glasses, I carry a spare pair in my Fatboy/backpack, in a rigid case, just for an emergency. If I were to use it a lot, I would find a pouch that is MOLLE compatible that is large enough to take the case so that I can have easy access to it without needing to open and dig around in my pack.

Maybe you could follow chopchop's idea for the rigid tube and then use an ammo pouch that can take the tube strapped to the outside of your pack.

Might I suggest that the next time you get a new pair to get transition lenses that way you only have one pair of driving glasses for night AND day instead of two pairs. Also, when you get your new pair keep the old ones as back up. Glasses suck.:mad:

Might I suggest that the next time you get a new pair to get transition lenses that way you only have one pair of driving glasses for night AND day instead of two pairs. Also, when you get your new pair keep the old ones as back up. Glasses suck.:mad:

Just a note on this; Transitions do not darken up when in a vehicle. The UV blockers in the window glass prevent it. They are great for outside the vehicle!!!!

Some of the pouches made by Lowepro will fit a spectacle case, as will some pouches designed for handheld GPS units and cell phones.

Ebay has gazillions of 'em!

Well, dang it, I went and got glasses and now my EDC bag is all screwed up. :mad:

Suffice to say, I've reached an age where I need to wear glasses sometimes. Not always, just sometimes. This is a problem because when I need them, I tend to not have them. So I need to be able to keep my glasses in my EDC bag.

I have two pairs of glasses: 1 clear for night driving and the other pair tinted for the day. I can easily get one pair into my bag (a Maxped Lunada), but if I'm carrying my netbook then there's no way to fit in the other pair.

So what I'm looking for is a semi-rigid or rigid MOLLE-compatible sunglass case to attach to the outside of the bag. I've found some in my google searching for under $10, but they want $8 for shipping. :mad::mad:

Usually eyeglass cases don't offer any attachment points for strapping the case to other things. If you have any bright ideas on something I can get or make around town, let me know. Or if you know of an outfit that doesn't charge an arm and a leg for shipping, let me know. $8 for shipping is unreasonable.

I've looked at the maxped website, but nothing there leaps out as a reasonable solution.

Thanks.

:D Some of us are Too Cheap to even spend Money for the Case. :D

img_3357.jpg

50713327.jpg

Back