Eyyyyyy--I designed this axe!

I wish all the success in the world Benjamin! Everything I've seen you design has been very well thought out and targeted, from knives to sharpening gear.

I hope this does well for you and I'm sure those who understand what you're striving for will love it.

I'm not complaining. I'm pointing out it seems to be designed for multiple purposes. That never seems to work out in the knife or axe world as we know. As this one holds a high end price tag I've asked this person to articulate why they used the design features they did. Seems pretty reasonable to me. I've designed several knives and a couple axes. I will be the first to tell you I have had more flops than success. The lack of explanation in the designer's part and mistakes in the manufacturers advertising isn't promising...
Well if you had bothered to go to the link there's huge explanation.

But who's got time for that?

It seems to be a pretty blatant copy of the hardcore hammers ranger, line exept with a slip on head that really limits its design and usefulness.

Weird.... I can't see a single similarity between this axe and Hardcore's Ranger, or any of their axes. Not a single feature looks anything like it. Shape of head, lack of relief bevels, hammer shape, lines
...all completely different.
Such a weirdly unnecessary bit of kurmudgonliness. Accusing him of copying a design that in no way, shape or form even looks alike? I guess they both have a wooden handle, and each has an edge and hammer poll???

@FourtyTwoBlades

Axe looks great. I like the peaked fantom bevels. Puts me in mind of old Kelly Perfects bevels.

Lighten up the axe, get a better bite, and the central ridge still pushes the wood out past the eye swell.

Slip fit axe handles interest me. I've broken a few axe handles over the years and a slip fit sure is easier to rehandle. Plus...over the years, I've never managed to break a slip fit pick handle up at the head/eye intersection where it is thickest.

The slip fit would be even handier if they release multiple lengths! Switch from full sized to shorter handles with a tap on the stump!

I always enjoy seeing your designs. Keep it up.

The ignore feature exists for just such occasions!

Last edited:
Hey, friends! I partnered with the good folks at Woox to design this lovely axe for them, and it's finally on the market just in time for the holidays! I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do. The heads are made in Italy by none other than Prandi and the handles are made right here in the USA. Finally, a slip-fit handle axe with Americanized cheeks and an ample hardened poll!

What kind of water-resistant finish?
3lbs. Is it total weight or just a head?
What was the reason for very worn Kelly Perfect look? Personally, I think it would look nicer if Phantom bevels started further away from the edge

What kind of water-resistant finish?
3lbs. Is it total weight or just a head?
What was the reason for very worn Kelly Perfect look? Personally, I think it would look nicer if Phantom bevels started further away from the edge

Some kind of mild oil finish I think? I'm actually not sure on the particulars of the finish. The handle is very nice and smoothly done though. The cheeks aren't "phantom" at all -- they're full concave arranged in a diamond taper closer to the way that Nordic splitting axes are done. As you sharpen back into it you won't butt up against any reduction in thickness like you would on a Perfect or old AA&T Co. axes.

I added him to my ignore list btw, so if I don't address further ranting from him that's why. If he raises any questions that other members would like to ask, please feel free to paraphrase them and I'll gladly answer them.

Why slip-fit? Was it just for ease of field handle replacement? More info on that would be appreciated.

Also, can you comment more about the decisions you made regarding blade geometry?

I like the design. It's something a bit different.

Last edited:
Why slip-fit? Was it just for ease of field handle replacement? More info on that would be appreciated.

Also, can you comment more about the decisions you made regarding blade geometry?

I like the design. It's something a bit different.

Slip fit allows for a lot of different uses and applications that aren't possible with a wedge fit. In addition to simple ease of replacing the handle (no drilling and crap, just knock out the old handle with a hammer and you're golden!) it also allows you to use the head on its own as a crafting tool and use multiple handles of different lengths on the same head. You can also fashion a replacement handle from a piece of wood using nothing more than the head itself, and if the head loosens on the handle all you have to do to tighten it up is tap the handle a little deeper in the eye. Also, the head cannot ever fly off the end of the handle. All of this comes at the expense of the whole handle having to be able to pass through the eye of the head, which usually means that unless the eye is humongous you're not going to have a significant handle swell to them, but the eye on this one is designed to be large enough for there to still be a bit of one, even if it's not as large as on a wedged handle.

As far as the geometry goes it's designed to strike a balance between general chopping/splitting and crafting/shaping work, based largely on a combination of Italian "Milano" woodworker's axes and American half hatchets. The bit is only mildly curved and nice and broad to make shaping cuts nice and precise, and the crisp heel and toe are similarly useful for such work, but the overall bit width and thinness gives good penetration and makes connecting repeated blows easy. The diamond-like concave bevels help keep the bit lighter while still having a good high centerline for chip popping and splitting. The beard allows you to get behind the bit when choking up, of course, but with the way the balance is, the center of gravity is literally inside your hand when you grasp it below the head.

Is this going to be a limited run or a more permanent addition to their lineup? I don't know a lot about axes but it looks neat.

Also I like your hat.

Thanks! It's a full production item--not limited!

I really like that someone has finally produced a modern axe with compression eye.
It's a nobly proportioned tool by all appearances,and i can only imagine that every serious,dedicated user will appreciate everything about it.

I like how austere the slip-fit dictates for the handle to be,makes for a handsome tool.
Who worked out the final,exact proportions of the eye geometry,you or Prandi?
In any case,it's cool that it was they who produced it,being pros at just that very system.

Far back in my wayward youth i've traveled camping through the Pyrenees,and stopped and bought a hatchet at the first village hardware store i came across.Even then,long,Long before i ever even Dreamed of having to punch eyes or carve handles let alone calculate that geometry,i was just instinctively impressed how well-proportioned that whole deal was.
I never Ever seen a compression eye before,and found it Super convenient to knock the axe down for stowing it in my pack.

MANY years later,having lived my life in AK,even before getting into axe-forging,i often remembered that little Basque hatchet.There're no suitable hardwoods for axe haft in AK,and a compression-fit eye would save So many people SO much trouble,as birch Almost wants to work in an American tear-drop eye,but after about an hour fails right across the grain.
Just that little bit of integrity i'm sure would allow it to work.

Good job,a neat addition to the modern working axes.

A very beautiful axe ! I could buy one only for "pleasure of the eyes". However, I know quite well FortyTwoBlades knows his trade by heart and his designs are thoroughly thought out. I have no doubt this will also be a very efficient tool. Now I'm considering the hassle of ordering from the States to Europe (and I have still a Condor double bit axe to test out...). Yeah, I'm chicken like that. The pondering begins....

The problem when you try to do everything is you do nothing well.
A slip on head that really limits its design and usefulness.
"As far as the geometry goes it's designed to strike a balance between general chopping/splitting and crafting/shaping work"
"It's actually NOT meant to be an overgeneralized design"

"As far as the geometry goes it's designed to strike a balance between general chopping/splitting and crafting/shaping work"

Let’s see your axe big boy. Ok, if ya ain’t got nothin’ nice to say, then don’t say it, or take it to the appropriate forum.

I think it looks great FortyTwoBlades FortyTwoBlades !

You should know that Ben has earned the respect of the members here many times over. Well beyond just his products, he willingly shares his knowledge and experience to help others. That does not make him above criticism of course but you stated your piece, albeit aggressively, he answered and has moved on.

If you don't like it, don't buy it.

Can you show us the axe you designed?

Back