Eyyyyyy--I designed this axe!

Prandi (and Rinaldi) make beautiful specialized axes. But I don't see myself rambling around with three axes on my belt ! FortyTwoBlades offers a versatile alternative which even has a poll ! This really get's me going (although the poll looks a bit small in hitting surface).
You need an axe caddy.

Just imagine rambling over a course of trees and coming up to the right one to drop. Then you just say "better give me the eight".

He's got a beautiful backswing... That's- Oh, he got all of that one! He's gotta be pleased with that!

You need an axe caddy.

Just imagine rambling over a course of trees and coming up to the right one to drop. Then you just say "better give me the eight".

He's got a beautiful backswing... That's- Oh, he got all of that one! He's gotta be pleased with that!
I'm dying over here :D:D:D.

I can't wait to see Benjamin's collaboration with Callaway for all our axe-toting needs.

I'll be excited to see the associated cart!

You need an axe caddy.

That's it ! Better a "jack of all trades, master of none" than a golf cart full of optimized tools.

The amount of pushback on this is disappointing.

I for one am always happy to see new products in this industry.

To be fair- as time dwells on- it seems like it was initially a relative small few, though initially I agreed with you. I get the impression there's significant support for this. I'm wondering what the price tag is going to do to enthusiasm, but innovation costs money.

As quality as I'm sure a Gransfors is, it's harder for me to see the price tag in the product. At least this axe shows enough design and innovation for me to see where the cost is coming from.

I'm sure as with most things, the first of a new type of axe you make is going to be expensive, regardless.

You probably won't remember me, but you custom ground a Condor knife for me, years ago. I asked if you could make it full flat grind. You did an amazing job on it. When I get home I'll take a picture of the knife, maybe you will remember doing that one for me.

Your axe looks amazing!!

You probably won't remember me, but you custom ground a Condor knife for me, years ago. I asked if you could make it full flat grind. You did an amazing job on it. When I get home I'll take a picture of the knife, maybe you will remember doing that one for me.

Your axe looks amazing!!

the man does good work, for sure. There is no surprise his axe is so thoughtfully designed. I hope I end up with that axe or a council brush axe for Christmas.

D droppoint1 How one expresses dissension is more important than the point they are trying to make. Spear made a huge error to shift the focus from the axe to the designer.

This was made by somebody who knows the features on axes but not the hows and whys.

This isn’t a critique of the axe. This is a comment on the creator which was doomed to not be met well on a forum of folks who generally really appreciate Benjamin.

I’d say there’s been plenty of meaningful criticism of this axe in this thread, which was well received.

I, for one, am excited to try this new axe. It’s very hard to improve on the tried-and-true axe patterns, but I think this one is promising as an axe with many functions/uses. Will it replace a 3.5 lb Jersey on a 36” haft or a splitting maul? Probably not, but at least in the current configuration that’s not really the intention. This is exactly the size and weight I could carry out in a pack for short camping excursions, however!

As I outright stated, I'm fine with critique of the design. Being unnecessarily rude and insulting, however, gets the "ignore" button.

Got my production version of the axe on Wednesday, and other than the edge not being as finished out as I'd prefer (which was a quick fix--the backing geometry is good) and the handle being driven a bit more tightly into the eye than I'd like (which arguably most people probably would like) I'm quite happy with the execution all around. A fun little note with the way it was packaged on delivery--the edge was dipped in a tough wax much like old Kelly Flint Edges used to be, to cover it in shipping.

Machined prototype on the top, forged production version on the bottom:

126511919_10223267567865925_3023174263641050833_o.jpg

The edge touched up how I like it:

126408090_10223267565025854_2130607197875593378_o.jpg

Testing it out revealed it to perform just as I'd intended it to. Bites deep and clean, but with zero binding in the cut, and does a fine job in splitting as well. Pardon the cell pic on this one.

126175668_10223262170450993_8816960792549183685_n.jpg

FortyTwoBlades FortyTwoBlades that looks like some solid technique there. Are you a righty Or a lefty? If I had to guess from that picture I’d say a righty

looks like you’re getting great results. I’d live to see that at work on a branch thicker than the face.

any comments on stance while using a 22 inch haft? I just got done reading buckets of concern over 28 inch hafts. I understand what drives the concern, I just feel like one adapts their stance to compensate. I don’t personally see it as that much more dangerous than what someone assumes when they pick up an axe.

It's just a matter of making sure you don't break a horizontal plane with the axe. Drop from the hips as the axe swings down so it doesn't swing below the waist. As far as handedness, I'm a righty, but somewhat ambidextrous with a lot of tasks, partly due to being left-foot dominant.

Now you're talking. This is enlighntening. I must get my mitts on that axe. I will, but circumstances will dictate and in the end it's availability that will define the terms.

Seems I will have to wait for FortyTwoBlades to distribute this fine axe (if you do international shipping, that is...). This is a really attractive design. If I had to bicker about something, I would request a (slightly) lower and wider poll. That's all.

Seems I will have to wait for FortyTwoBlades to distribute this fine axe (if you do international shipping, that is...). This is a really attractive design. If I had to bicker about something, I would request a (slightly) lower and wider poll. That's all.

If it was made lower and wider, it would also need either more mass to balance the bit or else have the bit made more narrow to reduce its mass accordingly and thusly not need so large of a poll. Pretty decent striking surface to it, and the depth of the poll also helps with making it hardened without it being in too close of proximity to the eye. Always gotta' balance the tradeoffs! :D

126438675_10223282626762388_8681775300221284437_n.jpg

42- After looking at your last photo, I still think a easy fix (could also be a owner after market fix) is to dress down the existing poll until there is just a little chamfer left visible. The amount of weight loss would be negligible. Besides, I like the balance in a axe head to be slightly blade heavy instead of a neutral balance.

Back