• Aurora LT 3V

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Aurora LT - Elmax

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
Hey,

So this has been on my mind for the past few weeks, and after watching countless hours of video on each knife, and reading hundreds of webpages, I still can't make up my mind which to get.

3V Bark River Aurora LT
Elmax Aurora LT (I think this is .2 of an inch shorter than the 3V according to DLT)
3V L.T Wright GNS - Convex
Lam CoS Fallkniven F1 Pro
Maybe you have a better suggestion?

I currently have a Casstrom No 10 Scandi and love this knife, the handle is really comfortable, but I feel the steel is a tad on the weak side for me, as I have rolled and chipped it... it's K720. If only this knife was available in 3V, or similar. Maybe K720 is a great steel, and I just used it wrong...

I also have a Bravo 1 LT, but just can't seem to get into it... Lovely knife, but just not what I was expecting.

I have a small LionSteel M1 also, which I make use of when skinning rabbits... Great little tool in M390.

This knife will be paired with a folding saw, and small axe.

The typical uses of this knife that I will buy will be:

Battoning (I love doing this)
Feathering
Light food prep (Cutting meat...)
Camp tasks
Fishing in fresh water (Trout)
1 Yearly trip in salt water fishing
Skinning game, not very often though (From rabbits to deer)

Essentially, I want one knife to do it all, even if it doesn't excel in every area, as long as it gets the job done.

I do take care of my knives, and keep them clean and dry when using around water, and always put a light coating of oil on each evening after use, and strop.

When looking at the F1 Pro, I just keep thinking it is going to be too thick, and too much like a tactical knife, and not so much a bushcraft/outdoors field knife, maybe I'm wrong?

I like the handle shape of the Aurora LT, it looks pretty similar to my Casstrom, but am worried it's just a tad long for fishing and belt carry but seems a great knife.

The L.T Wright GNS looks like a great knife, but I really couldn't find that much info on it.

How do all these knives compare? If anyone has photos of any of them side by side, that would be great!

What steel would be best, the Lam.CoS or 3V. I understand that CoS is stainless, and 3V is basically semi-stainless. This doesn't worry me too much, as like I said, I keep my knives clean. I have also read CoS is chippy, but then I have read the same about 3V...

Please try and talk me into one of them and out of the rest!

It's driving me insane thinking about it haha.

Here are links to the ones I am looking at.

https://www.dlttrading.com/lt-wrigh...burlap-micarta-natural-liners-copper-hardware

https://www.knivesshipfree.com/bark-river-knives-aurora-lt-cpm-3v-olivewood/

https://www.knivesshipfree.com/fallkniven-f1-pro-swedish-military-survival-knife-cos-steel/

Last edited:
k720 is a really 'clean' steel... (almost nothing to it)
C 0.90 Si 0.25 Mn 2.00 Cr 0.35 V 0.10

I'm frankly a bit surprised that you rolled and chipped it, it should be reasonably tough being a fairly pure carbon steel with under 1% carbon. 3v should be tougher I think, and I expect 14c28n should also be tougher since it's around 0.6% Carbon. (but the N adds part of what's missing)

The Cass #10 also comes in 14c28n - so if you love the ergos then maybe try that one? See if they'll replace that one with a #10 in 14c28n.
Perhaps Casstrom just did a bad HT? Or something went wrong during tempering?

k720 is a really 'clean' steel... (almost nothing to it)
C 0.90 Si 0.25 Mn 2.00 Cr 0.35 V 0.10

I'm frankly a bit surprised that you rolled and chipped it, it should be reasonably tough being a fairly pure carbon steel with under 1% carbon. 3v should be tougher I think, and I expect 14c28n should also be tougher since it's around 0.6% Carbon. (but the N adds part of what's missing)

The Cass #10 also comes in 14c28n - so if you love the ergos then maybe try that one? See if they'll replace that one with a #10 in 14c28n.
Perhaps Casstrom just did a bad HT? Or something went wrong during tempering?

Don't give me more options haha!

I'm not too sure what happened, I tried emailing the company I bought it from, but they didn't reply. I might try emailing Casstrom direct.

I hit a knot in the wood, and the knife maybe tilted slightly, could have caused the chip. Whatever the reason, I have used the knife after re-sharpening, and have batoned through logs nearly the full size of the blade, and it is still in mint condition, so it's looking more like my fault than that of the knife. Who knows lol.

Depending on the size of your hand, you may want to consider the LT Wright Genesis instead of the GNS. I was looking at the GNS but found a review saying its handle is a bit slim for those with big mitts. I got the Genesis convex instead and love it.

Sorry to throw more options but as a fellow buahcrafter I have to :)

Check out fiddleback forge and the KE bushie

Also love AA Forge and his bushcrafter.

As for your current choice, the GNS is great and the fallkniven is a classic. Can't really go wrong. I am a big bark river fan, own the tracker, companion and a few none bushcraft models, even love the American knife company Forrest they put out too. Too many choices to have just one sorry.

Took a look at the forge there, looks a really nice knife, though, the blade design isn't for me. Thanks anyway :)

Be aware that Bark River has had some negative feedback here on BF in the past. Specifically, it seems they were not using the 3v steel listed, at least in some cases from years past. Do some searches and read up on it if you want. I have no direct experience with them myself, full disclosure.

I still think contacting Casstrom for a replacement in 14c28n is worth pursuing if you have some patience :) Let us know how it works out

Voted for the Aurora LT in 3V, saw the results, and decided to change my vote to F1 Pro. Bought my mom an Aurora LT in Elmax and it is a beautiful knife. I own 45+ knives, 3 BRK and like them all, but need to get me some Fallkniven! Looking fwd to buying approx 3 Fallkniven. I think they're great!

Depending on the size of your hand, you may want to consider the LT Wright Genesis instead of the GNS. I was looking at the GNS but found a review saying its handle is a bit slim for those with big mitts. I got the Genesis convex instead and love it.

I've owned the Genesis and several gns and I have big mitts. The claim of the gns handle being slim is simply false. It's not slim at all. In fact, size wise I'd say it's the same as the Genesis. Both the Genesis and the gns handles are thicker than the aroura lt handles, substantially.

I've owned the Genesis and several gns and I have big mitts. The claim of the gns handle being slim is simply false. It's not slim at all. In fact, size wise I'd say it's the same as the Genesis. Both the Genesis and the gns handles are thicker than the aroura lt handles, substantially.

Yes, I got a picture on another forum I posted on, with the two side by side. The GNS handle looks a little thick for my liking.

I am now moving towards the aurora lt or F1 Pro. I really like the F1 Pro, and don't have any FK knives yet, so might go for it and see how it preforms.

I like the F1 pro of your choices. But if you like the lionsteel M1, the M4 is its hand-filling big brother.

Why does everyone seem to be voting for the F1 Pro by the way?

I don’t know about others, but I think it’s a great all-rounder. Maybe not the best at anything, but very good in everything. And your list of tasks is quite varied, which lends itself to a jack of all trades selection.

Plus, my second vote would GNS, but the blade shape is too pointy for me. There are lots of tasks you appreciate having more belly.

Dutch Bushcraft Knives on Youtube has some good F1 Pro videos. You might want to check those out.

From your list I would say a S1 Pro is a better choise. Don't get me wrong, I really like my F1's (no pro unfortunately), but the S1 is simply a better size for slightly heavier use (easier to baton with) without going up to the size and weight of the A1.

I voted for the F1 Pro because I like my F1 so much, but if a Bark River Bravo 1 LT were in the poll I would have voted for that. Also a convex grind.

I own an F1 and F1 pro. Both well made knives. You can combine both models! Fallkniven does offer the F1 black blade/tan handle in Cos steel. I will eventually pick one up. Best of both worlds. Spine thickness of the original with the outstanding Cos steel of the Pro.
Add a custom kydex sheath and your cost is still less than that of an F1 Pro.

Last edited:
Back