Face towards enemy or not?

I was wonder i got a custom knife that i design and a busse basic #5. my question is that when you draw your knife should the edge be face toward you enemy in a reverse grip or a step back and draw the in a sabre grip.

i perfer the reverse grip. what do you guy perfer?

imho it would depend on your training and the situation, i personally like the reverse, ususally, but what do i know lol

sifu

Consider the ranges of combat. What if you are rushed and taken to the ground? What if you are in a standing clinch, or being pummeled inside an enclosed space? Attacked while seated in your car?

Work both reverse and forward grips in your training. You will probably come to prefer one or another. Work some awkward knife grips simulating an imperfect "draw." What will most likely be the situation resulting in pulling your knife? What if one of your hands is disabled through injury or an immobilization?

Consider that the infighting/grappling ranges need considerable thought and preparation, while for the longer ranges, you may have a little more time (one or two seconds more) to adapt...

Also think about weapon retention and escalation of force situations.

You won't always have enough warning when the s*** hits the fan. You may have to access your weapon when you're sitting on a toilet with your pants around your ankles...and preoccupied in squeezing out the big one...:D

Get creative. "BE THE SCUMBAG." HOW WOULD YOU "GET" SOMEONE?

HOW WOULD YOU GET...YOU?

Karl

I try to imagine self-defense scenarios.
In most cases I think I would do better with empty hands.
I think it would take something very threatening and ambiguous to make me put a knife in my hand; perhaps people acting in a belligerent manner but not quite stepping over the line.
In which case, would the knife push it over the edge into violence or would it have sufficient intimidation value to keep things from getting worse?
For me, in a self-defense situation, I might try to draw my Greco Persian in a point reversed grip, or Mexican carry, edge away from the body, and keep it out of sight along the seam of my trousers.
This might work better for me as a left hander than for a right hander.
In the Mexican carry, if someone tries to hit or push me with their right hand, my left hand will naturally come up to protect my face and neck, and without me really doing anything the aggressor will probably cut himself on my knife while in the act of trying to hit me.
However, that said, the point forward paintbrush grip gives the defender greater reach and IMHO more cuts per second delivered to the aggressor and more opportunity to puncture body cavities.
I can only think of three natural puncture movements with the knife in reverse grip: kidney, collar bone and cross body backhand; and I'll bet folks who have some training in the reverse grip can name some more.
Still, it seems to me the point forward lends itself to a greater variety of natural stabbing, or puncturing movements.
Recent reading, and 18 years as an EMS helicopter pilot, indicate to me that even a minor puncture of a body cavity, abdomen or thorax, quickly stops the fight; whereas I think some people can take a lot of superficial cuts before they realize all the blood has come from themselves.

In summation, then, the point reversed grip allows one to keep the knife hidden easier and lends itself, especially for the left hander, to defense by a natural response; raising the hands in a block.
The point forward paintbrush grip IMHO gives greater reach and more natural cutting and puncturing movements.

It would take an unusual set of circumstances to make me choose a knife over my hands, but it could happen.
For that reason, amongst others, I carry a self defense knife.

First of all, if someone were to institute a deadly attack on me, I would draw and fire my Glock pistol...End of story. IF all I had was one of my carry knives (REKAT Sifu, Camillus Cuda CQB-1), I'd hold it tightly in whatever grip it found my hand in, and slash/stab 'till the threat was removed.

Back