Factor Equipment Knives

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by RamZar, Mar 27, 2017.

1. RamZar

RamZar Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2013
    I have two of the Absolute One. I paid full price a year ago and recently picked up a second one for half the price. Great little flipper with M390. Only gripe is that it uses proprietary screws but the tool is provided.

I refused to get the Iconic because it was an almost identical design copied from Giant Mouse. Many dealers stopped carrying it as well.

BD_01 likes this.
  2. JimMD

JimMD

Dec 6, 2017
    I got the Iconic Carbon Fiber Compact recently, and I really like the feel of the knife in my hand. In my preferred "Filipino" grip (thumb on the blade spine), it fits my XL hand just right with four fingers fully on the handle, behind the finger choil and flipper tab. I could just use the finger choil, but that sharp edge is close to the finger, and the grip is more comfortable without using it.

[​IMG]

The knife is outstanding for the price, especially purchased directly from Factor with a discount code. Great EDC size and blade shape, titanium frame lock with carbon fiber show side, excellent flipping action, and easy to carry. I just ordered an aftermarket deep carry clip from MXG Gear that is supposed to fit it perfectly:
    https://mxggear.com/collections/zt0...p-carry-pocket-clip-for-zero-tolerance-zt0456

BD_01 likes this.
  3. Comeuppance

Comeuppance Fixed Blade EDC Emisssary

Jan 12, 2013
    I just got mine in today, and it's pretty good. Out of the box, it was dead centered and had flawless lockup. The flipping action was good, but I wasn't getting the super-dumb-smooth drop-shut action I am used to from a knife with ceramic bearings and a ceramic detent ball, so I took it apart and cleaned off all the factory grease. After applying nano-oil and putting it back together, I flipped it, and that is when I realized I forgot to put the stop pin in and it flew open to about a 270 degree angle. After feeling like an idiot and putting the stop pin back in, it came back together with perfect lockup and centering, and flips much better. It doesn't have the ridiculous gliding action that I have seen in some other ceramic-bearing knives, but I am confident it will get there with time.

Some notes:
    - Upon disassembly, I discovered that there are steel washers between the bearings and the Ti handles. Unexpected and nice touch.
    - The pivot screw is not held captive by a D-shaped cutout, but I had no trouble taking apart and re-assembling the knife without more than my T8 and T6 bits.
    - The knife is fairly well-balanced, with the center of gravity being around the lockface.
    - It is reasonably comfortable in the hand, and the finger choil on the blade seems perfectly functional.
    - All of the edges of the blade and handle have been chamfered, meaning that there are no sharp edges on the knife except for the cutting part of the blade.
    - The hole in the blade can be used to open the knife, I guess. The detent is strong enough that it is not the easiest method.
    - The detent is strong enough that the knife will not shake open. At all. I cannot get this thing to shake open, and that's with some fairly violent arm and wrist motions that would make literally every other knife I own fly open.
    - The edge is alright. It shaves arm hair, but it's not laser sharp.

13/10 for the price.

BD_01 likes this.
  4. Chilegod

Chilegod Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 20, 2016
    The compact Iconic is great in hand and pocket. I have two full ti compacts and one compact carbon fiber. I want to compare a Full size Iconic to Compact in hand some day.

5. JimMD

JimMD

Dec 6, 2017
    Sti
    Still have my CF Compact. Trying to pare down the collection, but haven't decided to part with that one yet. It'd even nicer with a deep carry clip!

Chilegod likes this.