Factory Second (XX) Knives

Are Factory Seconds more or less valuable? I have a beautiful Schrade 3rd Generation C648 that is marked with the 2 X's over the tang stamp. As I can not find anything visibly wrong with it. I believe that it most be with the blade heat treating not being up to standard. Unable to get Photo Bucket to work at the moment.

Are Factory Seconds more or less valuable? I have a beautiful Schrade 3rd Generation C648 that is marked with the 2 X's over the tang stamp. As I can not find anything visibly wrong with it. I believe that it most be with the blade heat treating not being up to standard. Unable to get Photo Bucket to work at the moment.
As a collectable, a Seconds knife would be less valuable. However, it would make a perfect user... Ken

I've browsed a very popular auction website almost daily for 9 years looking at knives and sold more than one thousand Schrade and Camillus knives on that same site and all else being equal I have never seen a factory second sell for more than one that went out the door passing the factory inspection, all else being equal.

I think your question is a good one (and since you didn't ask how much your specific knife was worth, passes the sticky test). My obsession with knives began when Camillus went under and around that time I saw an unused factory second (XX tang) Camillus Riders of the Silver Screen knife selling for what I thought was a relatively low price. Knowing that some double struck coins (factory seconds) can sell for thousands, I wondered if the same held true for pocket knives since there are presumably many fewer seconds in circulation. After gaining some experience buying and selling, I came to the conclusion that seconds are just that.

If there are any Schrade or Camillus production knives out there that are “seconds,” yet sought after, I’d be interested in learning the story behind such a knife.

As a collectable, a Seconds knife would be less valuable. However, it would make a perfect user... Ken

I've browsed a very popular auction website almost daily for 9 years looking at knives and sold more than one thousand Schrade and Camillus knives on that same site and all else being equal I have never seen a factory second sell for more than one that went out the door passing the factory inspection, all else being equal.

I think your question is a good one (and since you didn't ask how much your specific knife was worth, passes the sticky test). My obsession with knives began when Camillus went under and around that time I saw an unused factory second (XX tang) Camillus Riders of the Silver Screen knife selling for what I thought was a relatively low price. Knowing that some double struck coins (factory seconds) can sell for thousands, I wondered if the same held true for pocket knives since there are presumably many fewer seconds in circulation. After gaining some experience buying and selling, I came to the conclusion that seconds are just that.

If there are any Schrade or Camillus production knives out there that are “seconds,” yet sought after, I’d be interested in learning the story behind such a knife.

Ken,
I would use it. However, it is in great condition. Looks as good as the one I've got in my 3rd Generation Display Case. Only thing it is missing is 3rd Generation printed on the main blade.

City,
I knew better than to ask the value of my unused factory second knife. Therefore, being inside of the rule for the sticky note. It was just a general across the board question for the of value of factory seconds. Good for everyone to know. It's not the first Factory Second that I have came across.

Back