Fairbairn Cobra Re-imagined - WIP thread

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Here is a commission in progress for a martial artist. He was inspired by the Fairbairn Cobra, and in my opinion, we came up with a much improved design over the original.

IMG_7239.JPG

I sent the design to Jarod Todd for plasma cutting and heat treating, and got it in hand today. We originally chose AEB-L for the design, but as it has been scarcely in stock, rather than waiting, we decided on 80CrV2.

Stay tuned for more.

I have emailed the customer to outline a few options, so this is as far as I can go until I hear back from him:

IMG_7244.JPG

Here is a commission in progress for a martial artist. He was inspired by the Fairbairn Cobra, and in my opinion, we came up with a much improved design over the original.

View attachment 1370954

I sent the design to Jarod Todd for plasma cutting and heat treating, and got it in hand today. We originally chose AEB-L for the design, but as it has been scarcely in stock, rather than waiting, we decided on 80CrV2.

Stay tuned for more.
David, really enjoy seeing how you keep pushing your designs to squeeze additional utility. Keep it up please!;):)

Not something normally my taste, but its oddly cool. And quite devastating if used I imagine. Dig the grind and the WIP. 80crv2 is really good and tough as nails. Should prove much tougher than AEBL. Only thing is it rusts quickly if left without oil.

Yes, David has some uniquely creative patterns that are catching the eyes of quite a few here.

Thank you very kindly. I'm trying not to take too much credit for this design, as it was nearly fully formed already in the mind of W.A when he and I first hit the drawing board.

Go easy on me, I' trying new things, and hoping I'm not failing too badly.

In the hand, before blue:

IMG_7301.JPG

IMG_7302.JPG

IMG_7303.JPG

After blue:
IMG_7304.JPG

IMG_7305.JPG

Believe it or not, but I have found this to be possibly the most challenging project I have taken on so far.

Hopefully a couple of successful projects doesn’t reflect in your prices, really am liking the thin ABEL blades. Your grind work is really looking nice!;):)

I'm a fan of a 21 inch blade with integral knuckle duster out of aebl @ 63hrc. Sweeping tip, like a scimitar with a sharpened 4" top edge....

Sign me up.

Too late. We've got some stuff in the works though! What would you think of this beast with a 21" blade? Not so good with hallways, but you never know when your yard will need defending.

I'm a fan of a 21 inch blade with integral knuckle duster out of aebl @ 63hrc. Sweeping tip, like a scimitar with a sharpened 4" top edge....

Sign me up.

You guys must have a dragon infestation! :eek:

Back