Fairly Knives Chat - For people who like Knives, have Knives or use Knives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhh, fuck it.

I'm going to Wallyworld for kitty litter instead. I'll spend the money I doubtlessly would've blown on a forthcoming DFK no doubt. :D

Ahhh, fuck it.

I'm going to Wallyworld for kitty litter instead. I'll spend the money I doubtlessly would've blown on a forthcoming DFK no doubt. :D

Kitties and DFK, you have your priorities straight! We had to go to town for cat food yesterday, they were almost rabid.

Hey bako, while you're there check to see if they have any Kershaw Skylines, fantastic knife! Also, great knife to modify.

Ugh, I'm so bored at work today! Nothing much to do, I keep thinking about the knife projects I could be working on, what I want to start, how to do certain things. To top it all off, Brandi and Zyler are out on the jetski today.

I'm really pretty gung-ho about finishing up all my existing projects I have going! Its a good feeling to get lose ends tied up. That being said, there is one new project I am going to start soon, building my own recurve bow from scratch. I have enough wood to get two, maybe three done, so my dad and I are going to do them together. Should be fun! I've collected almost all the tools I need, too.

Hope y'all are makin the best of your weekend!

-X

Sounds like a good project Xander! My Dad made a few bows from osage back in the day, I turned a broken one into an atlatl. (spear thrower) A recurve sounds way cool.

reminds me... I finished the recurve knife I was making and it is jacked! The G10 somehow was peel ply (even though I never ordered any) and I managed to put the textured side down on one side, long story short my glue gap is wavy and it's a keeper. (for me, lol) I wanted it anyways. :D

Garg. I just sharpened one of those Karambits.

What a pain. I had to do it leading-edge instead of trailing edge, but no biggie. Jose is bummed that the blade is showing some wear, so I might take it as an excuse to buy the HF Powder Coating kit and see what kind of doofusery I can wreak upon it. :D

Yeah you need something narrow or round for a recurve, they are tricky no mater what. A karambit sounds really tough!

I found it easy to sharpen but am not happy with the scales... they really aren't bad just not what I would sell. I do want it though, recurves are nasty cutters and the earth brown is killer!

Powder coat kit? cool! I have a jar of dip powder coat I want to try on something small.

One trick i use for recurve blades is to take a piece of 2" pvc pipe and split it lengthwise. Wrap your good quality wet/dry sandpaper over it. it works well to get inside the curve.

Well i took off an hour early from work due to extreme boredom. Got home and realized that the wife and kid werent going to be home for a while, so i headed out to teh shop after a quick run to the beer store. managed to get some things done! Finished up the One Trick Pony project which has been a long project (started 2/12) and also got a handle glued up on a little sloyd knife I made a while back. This will be my first hidden tang. I did a textured face bronze guard/bolster thingy and a handle in myrtyle wood. I'll get pics of it later.

Here is the One Trick Pony...

2013-05-11192351_zps45827dc0.jpg

The complete project and documentation is here... http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...y-mind-WIP-It-s-Done!?p=10524462#post10524462

It was a good evening in the shop.

Have a good night y'all!

-X

Mornin y'all!

More work today, but I can't leave early even if I wanted to.

Have a good one y'all!

-Xander

Morning y'all.I finished up a knife for myself yesterday.Made the sheath and the damn thing rattels like a miracca,,,oh well,I will fix it after work. Have a good one.

Musical sheath!

Kydex? reheated? I do odd blade shapes and grinds so I toss lots of sheaths. It can be tough to do! Sometimes you can fine tune or reheat them once, I just toss and start over if I have to re-mold. If you can spend $75 on Kydex I know an industrial supplier where you buy direct for much cheaper than retail.

The key with Kydex is to be fast and get the mold clamped ASAP... kydex floppy but not stretchy or reeking of fumes. I use blue camp foam but am moving up to some denser stuff the next time I change my molds.

I hope this helps and good morning!

Hey Xander good morning!

Your One Trick Pony project turned out killer, nice work!

Thanx dude! It is quickly becomming my favorite slipjoint, the size is just perfect, and the single blade is quite nice. Its roughly the same size as a TL-29 "electricians knife" but thinner. It fits real well in hand, rides in the pocket nicely too. Got it with me right now! I just need to put a proper edge on it.

-X

Afternoon men. I got the best present ever today!!!! I found out my youngest is pregnant. So I am going to be a Grandpa!!! My first one and I m excited to say the least!!!!

Afternoon men. I got the best present ever today!!!! I found out my youngest is pregnant. So I am going to be a Grandpa!!! My first one and I m excited to say the least!!!!

Woohoo! Congrats Big! Start 'em off right, I know you are already starting to look for their first knife/gun!

-Xander

HOORAY! I'm getting another Farid Mule!

I really like the one I stole from the Sloth- it takes and holds as good an edge as anything I own with the possible exception of my DFK EDC in 01.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back