Fairly Knives Chat Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening fellas

Just finished some pizza and beer with the neighbor lady. The wife offered my services to her for repairing a busted water main. I didn't get off work until 6pm tonight, it was 95° and somewhere around 85% humidity, started sprinkling, and I was digging up a water main. The neighbor bought beer and pizza, plus asked me real nice, lol! Even my wife knows I'm a sucker... but, she now has a repaired water main and thanked me for servicing her pipes :eek: :p :D

Finishing my beer, and am just chillin at home.

Stay safe and sane y'all!

-X

What's up, I love me some redneck fireworks!
I have been off the last 2 days of work and have worked on knives.
O my god Daniel these folders make my brain hurt!!
Much respect for the ones you put out. I have about 5 hours into my first one and probably an hour of hand lapping which sucks a big one...lol

Hi everybody. Just a quick question. I have bought some K110 (D2) steel,and it's the first time i'm working with it. I tried to saw a blade out from it with a hand saw with a medium quality saw blade. And it killed the saw blade almost instantly. (3-4 centimeters of cutting ) Im cutting all of my blades out with a handsaw ( from AEB-L, Sleipner, Vanadis 23) and havent experienced this before. Do you guys think that it is normal with this steel. Or could it be, that its not properly annelaed? Also if it is normal, waht is the best way for cutting? Thanks a lot!

Hi! I hope everyone is having a great day!

Hi Konok! I wonder if it was work hardening? It could be annealed but at a higher hardness which is tricky to deal with.

I use a chop saw and cut bars then grind to size... but have never had any problems drilling D2 so think it has always been decently annealed. On the other hand I have no problems drilling 15n20 and most of it comes in a semi hardened state.

D2 is somewhat rough to work with so that may be part of it... but I still have to wonder on the bandsaw blade. I had a wood cutting blade last for tons of wood and micarta but it only cut maybe 1/4" of carbon fiber before it bit the dust! I'd think the same blade would work great if it cuts AEBL, etc but maybe the D2 is just that much rougher on the blade. As fr as grinding goes I use about 3x many belts on D2 and 6x more belts on 3V than something like O1.

I'm not of much help here... I'll report back when I finally get a metal cutting bandsaw!

Hey Justin! I hear you on the folders! I bet it will turn out nicely though, your design is well thought out.

Hey Rolf! I'm cranking up the forge again soon... big week here for grinding though! :D

lol Xander that sounds exciting. :D

I just finished up a bunch of cord wraps... old school 5160 kiridashis are close! We're going to go see the local Fireworks tonight and the Parade tomorrow.

Thanks Daniel. Meanwhile i tried something. This was a brand new freshly bought sawblade. And after i killied it, i swiched back to an older used one. That one cuts with no problem. The funny thing is they are the same brand from the same shop. :D

Morning guys! Happy 4th!! I hope yall have a great and safe day. Plus, enjoy the fireworks. :D

Donnie

Happy 4th ! Don't blow your fingers off!....... 'Merica!
Jeeez Donnie you get up earrrrrrly... :D

Daniel, check these guys out. I think they are right up your alley.
[video=youtube;bfZXufkRM1g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfZXufkRM1g&list=FLzoR0vyu1CCf4xttrkHoK3g[/video]

Hey guys! Happy Independence Day!

We went to the parade this morning, Jade has been talking about it all year and it was a blast. Last night the fireworks went on until late and now it is BBQ time!

Happy 4th guys!

Just finished making pickles and have them in the hot bath pasteurizing now. Did a basic garlic dill, some chips, some sliced, some spears too. Gonna be delicious when done!

Got the fire pit all cleaned up for making smores after BBQ for dinner. Then, play with fireworks for the kid!

Remember kids, fireworks can be dangerous, leave them for the adults that have been drinking all day :D

-X

Well, the fireworks are burnt, the BBQ is cold, the rum is getting low and the fire pit is down to a glow so no more smores. It was a nice and fun evening with friends and family, summer is now on the ebb of the season. Starting to plan for autumn's happenings and hunting seasons.

Happy Independence Day gentlemen.

I'll leave you with a picture of today's pickles, lol.

FB_IMG_1436076343634_zpsvtlgxq3x.jpg~original

-Xander

Well....does everyone still have there fingers :)
We had a good time me 3 year old boy loved pulling the next one out of the bag for dad to light.
Good times.

Pre HT grinds on my first knife out of the forge. Pretty primitive but I'm diggin it.

Cool lookin' knife, JP. :thumbup: 10 fingers 10 toes ..... I counted :p
X, do I getta jar? :D
Rolf,,,, lucky...... I could go for some rain and cool weather right now!
Happy hangover day.

Make a tanto, JP!
Kevin- Chocolate silk for the HO. It works.
Hi Daniel and DFerz.
Off I go. some of us have to work on Sunday.
rolf

Good morning everyone! Hope yall had a great 4th. Xander, those pickles look awesome and I bet they taste great.

Rolf, sorry your weather wasn't optimum fireworks condition but still hope you had a great time.

JP, that knife looks very cool and wish you the bet on many more.

Daniel, Hope you and your family had a great weekend. The parade sounds like it wAs really fun. Hope your projects this week turn out awesome.

Flatblackcapo, hope you had a great 4th too.

Have a great one,
Donnie

Thanks, Donnie. The rain held up so we had the fireworks!
Have a nice afternoon.

Xander those are looking good! ...also reminds me I need to male some more kimchi and hot sauce. Good pic too!

Justin the knife is looking killer and great to see what you are forging! That is one of the best looking Blacksmith's knives I have seen, the lines are just spot on and ergonomic.

Sounds good Rolf! It's been raining a ton here too.

Hi Donnie! It was great, my daughter Jade has been talking about it all year and just loved it.

Sounds good FBC but I thought you had 11 fingers! :eek:

It has been a big day in the shop! Goals are done and I'm going to go grind some more. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back