Fake FFG Delica here? Help please!

Hey all - picked up a new Delica FFG in brown from Amazon and just wondering if this looks like a fake to you?

Are there any documented Delica FFG fakes out there?

I have owned over 50 spydercos and this one just seems off...

Primarily the logo is what set me off - it just looked stamped and not laser etched - see pic below. I compared to the 10 spydies I currently own and none come close...

What do you guys think?

Other than the logo, there was the white marketing piece that I've never seen before and its signed "thanx much" - see pic below. Does spyderco do this??

It also came with grime in the scales - almost like brown crust is the best way to describe it.

A sticker was over the upc code, but I also took a pic of that for you guys.

Other than the above, it's looks so real that it really makes me second guess - even the "sheen" on the blade that is almost rainbowish is similar to my other FFGs. Grinds look good and the blade thickness is an even taper.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!!!

It is the brown ffg:

Last edited:
Looks like mine. I have a blue.

I had that same letter in my box too.

"Thanx", is commonly used by Mr. Glesser here on the forums, as well as being proper on the included sheet.

But, I too have wondered a bit about the existence of possible fake Delicas. I had disassembled a couple I have a few months ago, and both were quite a bit different in the lock bar and tang areas... but I should mention that was comparing a VG-10 to a ZDP-189, so manufacturing process and construction could differ a bit.

2015-04-02%2020.47.21_zpsrkd5le0q.jpg

I posted this in the fakes thread here and on Spyderco forum, but never got any replies.
My suspicions kind of waned and I've been using the heck out of both with no issues.

That deep stamping on the bottom is identical to mine... Curious to take mine apart and see if the lock bar is like yours and my other FFG Delica.

Thanx for the confirmation of the letter wording ;)

As far as the sticker on the UPC code, it might be it was placed there by the seller to prevent people from using a barcode scanner app to search the price online. Bing search engine app used to (not sure if they still do now) have a feature where you could take a pic of the barcode and it would identify the product correctly and it would do a search online to give you results of different/best prices and where to get it. A few years ago, I used that app in a store to great effect to identify specific Lego mnifigures sold in blind/mystery packs so I would not double up.

As far as the knife....looks legit to me.

It's legitimate, I have a few variations and I think the newer productions other than the Damascus (lasered) they are stamped

Ok. Thanks guys. It's unfortunate that we have to be so darn skeptical and untrusting...

Was it
1. "sold by Amazon" or
2. "sold by [third party seller] and fulfilled by Amazon" or
3. "sold by and ships from [third party seller]"?

It's was Amazon LLC all around.

Did a lot of research last night and it seems like the consensus is that Amazon is an authorized seller and would not be fakes.

Thanks for the help guys.

Good FRN molds are pricey. Not likely the fakesters would invest in getting that right. Also, VG-10 has a sheen to it like no other steel I have seen. VG-10 is hard to get exported out of Japan. Those two things are where I would start my comparison.

Edit: quick search found two FRN models that are being faked (at least presumably from the site they are being offered from and the price). The H1 Dragonfly black and yellow, and the Endura, black, pink, green and even an Emerson. No Delica's on their site, which doesn't guarantee anything but they are a big source of fakes. They mainly do G10, CF, and Ti. Surprisingly, they have a Hungarian and Sub Hilt Vallaton. They are getting better and better so be careful. As always, buying from a reputable dealer is t your biggest safe guard.

Last edited:
Agree, the knife looks legit.

Markings can vary slightly with long production runs and can vary noticeably with different steels.

Letter looks legit.

Label looks legit. Note the changes in font sizes and that the top of the UPC numbers touch the bottom of the UPC stripes. These 'features' are usually lacking with fakes.

what about the plastic bag?

NOTE: Just because it came from Amazon doesn't mean it can't be a fake. It's not uncommon for an unscrupulous buyer to buy a 'real' knife then return a 'fake'. The vendor then just puts it back in stock to be sold to someone else.

Indeed, because of the patina and the grime in the scales, that knife may been a returned item.

It's was Amazon LLC all around.

Did a lot of research last night and it seems like the consensus is that Amazon is an authorized seller and would not be fakes.

Thanks for the help guys.

They wouldn't. The issue though is 2 things:

First is the fact that many different sellers can sell through Amazon, in many cases amazon is mainly the "middle man"

Secondly, there is an issue of scammers ordering real Spydercos from Amazon and then putting their own fake copy in the box and returning it to get their money back. Amazon worker can't tell the different and restocks the item for sale again. Next person to get that box is getting a fake knife.

Just letting you know the possibilities. I order from Amazon all the time though and as far as I can tell I have had no fakes. Just passing along some info for you

That letter should always come with them. Sal signs off "Thanx Much".

That is odd. I didn't get a letter with any of the three I bought. I did buy directly from Amazon though, but I wouldn't think that made much of a difference.

Back