"fake" J.B.F. Champlin knives

Thanks for chiming in! That Galvanic with the two tone handle is pretty great! (they are all pretty great, but I like that one a bit more)

Here’s another look at the single blade. Listed in the GEC totals as East Indian Rosewood
RP9mRRG.png

I've been reading this post and have been debating whether to respond or not but figured what the heck. The Queen fiasco was tough to go through for sure. Derek and I never dreamed they would come out for sale after we rejected them. Thought they would have taken them apart and used the parts. The first time I saw one for sale was on ebay and I sent a message asking where he got the knife from and he told me from Queen themselves. When I questioned them about, I was told they were stolen? Funny thing but another knife site sold some with the Catt handles as seconds but also their club knife. Never got asked if it was ok which really pissed me off!

In hindsight I should have bought the ones with the Catt handles back or asked for the handles back, oh well live and learn.

The knives that GEC made are first class all the way. The Eureka's are beautiful, especially the ones with the Catt handles. Bill contacted me a couple of years after making the Eureka's and said he had parts for 17 knives and did I want him to make them. I of course said yes. 15, 2 bladed ones and 1, single bladed one he had cocobolo to put on them. There was one that he had old Catt handles for which he made also. The 15 2 bladed ones were sold to some of the people that bought the original ones. I kept the single and the double with Catt handles. I had the all etched JBF.

Picture of 16 of them. View attachment 1155554 View attachment 1155555 View attachment 1155556 View attachment 1155557

Here are pictures of 3 knives. The one etched Galvanic was an unnumbered one from the first batch and the others are from the 17 Bill made.

The other picture is of the pattern knife I sent to Queen for them to make the Electric whittlers
I know it is an older post, but I am hoping you can answer a question. You mention that 16 of the the later batch of Eurekas were Cocobolo. The 2016 GEC production totals list these knives as East Indian Rosewood - (page 8 https://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/2016-PRODUCTION-TOTALS.pdf)
Do you think these were Cocobolo and GEC just listed them incorrectly. i guess it doesnt really matter. I’m just curious?

Do you still have the one knife from the later batch with the JBF etch and the Cattarugus rosewood?

Interesting tale with these knives. I had a similar situation with A. Wright & Son when they were making my SFOs a few years ago. I ended up buying up all their mistakes, because otherwise they would have just sold them to someone else, and devalued all the other knives 🙄

I know it is an older post, but I am hoping you can answer a question. You mention that 16 of the the later batch of Eurekas were Cocobolo. The 2016 GEC production totals list these knives as East Indian Rosewood - (page 8 https://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/2016-PRODUCTION-TOTALS.pdf)
Do you think these were Cocobolo and GEC just listed them incorrectly. i guess it doesnt really matter. I’m just curious?

Do you still have the one knife from the later batch with the JBF etch and the Cattarugus rosewood?
I have no clue about the wood that Bill used on the 16 knives, 15 2 bladed and one single blade. He told me at the time it was Cocobolo, which I believe is a Rosewood???

And yes I still have the only one with the Catt wood. It's the 2 bladed knife with the JBF on the blade in the pictureIMG_2878.JPG

Cocobolo or Rosewood are just common names!
the scientific generic name of these trees is Dalbergia.
Cocobolo and Rosewood are just Dalbergia ssp.'s

if you buy Cocobolo or Rosewood, mostly, you will never know what you've really got.

BTW: all Dalbergia ssp. are banned by CITES.

I have no clue about the wood that Bill used on the 16 knives, 15 2 bladed and one single blade. He told me at the time it was Cocobolo, which I believe is a Rosewood???

And yes I still have the only one with the Catt wood. It's the 2 bladed knife with the JBF on the blade in the pictureView attachment 2262390
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. These really are special knives.

Back