Fake USN MK1

eveled

Gold Member
Buyer beware. I just saw some fake KaBar MK1 knives shipping from China. Not sure if I should post a link. But I reported the listing and encourage everyone to do the same.

Are these the ones listed as 440C stainless steel, both bright and (I assume) powder coated blade, with a laser etched Ka-Bar/ Orleans N.Y. and USN/MK1 on the reverse side of the blade?
People shouldn't believe everything they read. You can do a search on the bay for MK1 knife and find them easy enough.

"Reporting" them to ebay is futile unless you are the company whose trademark is being infringed upon. I think the only way ebay will do anything is if KA-BAR Inc complains to them. Go get'em, you guys in Olean!!

Maybe if enough people inundated ebay's inbox with "Fake/Counterfeit" reports, they'd do something jut to make it stop - they gotta pay those people who review these reports. Waste enough of their (ebay's) money making them review the reports, maybe they'll get a clue.

Gunsil and ZZ, I agree with both of you. KaBar needs to do something about it. I figured this was the best way to call their attention.

Enough of us spamming eBay with reports might help.

It’s insulting us as Americans. These aren’t just cheap knock offs from China. These are marked KABAR OLEANS NY.

These are constantly on ebay. I flag them all the time. I think what I hate the most is that they are coming across my "recommended items" feed on ebay, since I search for leather handled knives regularly.

And they're blatant rip-offs and false-advertising because of the the "KA-BAR OLEANS NY" eveled mentioned. I'm a little less pissy about the ones that blatant say "copy of a kabar" because at least they acknowledge that they're not the real deal and I think an unsuspecting person looking to buy a cheap knife from the bay wouldn't know the difference. It says ka-bar, after all.

Unfortunately, ebay can't control them all but it would be nice if they at least addressed the ones that were flagged and block the seller's stealing IP.

eBay should have a way to vet the actual legit manufacturer. And allow them to shut down the counterfeit auctions with a click of the mouse.

I suspect eBay doesn’t really care.

Like you said it popped up as a recommendation to me. So eBay is actually promoting the counterfeit.

eBay should have a way to vet the actual legit manufacturer. And allow them to shut down the counterfeit auctions with a click of the mouse.

I suspect eBay doesn’t really care.

Like you said it popped up as a recommendation to me. So eBay is actually promoting the counterfeit.

I think that's one of the big downfall's of the targeted marketing algorithms created by online sources. Ebay, youtube/google, and facebook get a lot of controversy for the things that show up in there "recommendation" lists.

I almost hate to clear my cookies. At least they recommend things I’m interested in. After I clear my cookies it’s random and some of the stuff is out there. Lol

Quite a few years ago ebay put a little disclaimer on every ad on ebay that states "seller accepts all responsibility for listing" or something close to that. This legally puts the seller as the only one responsible for being honest and relieves ebay of any culpability to sellers selling fakes. Ebay is making good money on these fakes and tomfooleries so it will be unlikely they will ever stop as long as they have such legal loopholes. I doubt that any company like KA-BAR can really have any recourse against ebay, only the seller. Also, if these things say "Oleans" rather than "Olean" anybody who knows KA-BARs at all should be able to tell it's a knockoff.

I have seen this knife and reported it ... several times. Unfortunately, there isn't too much recourse. On the off chance an eBay or Amazon actually does respond to a trademark or patent violation the offender generally just opens up another account with a different username. We don't do business directly with Amazon or eBay, which does not put us very high on their policing priority list. The best step we can take is to educate on what is a legitimate KA-BAR. We have found that often generic or "K-BAR" style knives being sold alongside legitimate KA-BARs tend to push KA-BAR sales. We receive very few returns as a result of defects - unfortunately, many knives we do see come back to us are knock offs from an unsuspecting buyer.

Hey Guys,
I wonder what happens if you order one of these and then open a dispute with ebay that its a counterfeit
and demand a refund based on the ebay buyer protection policy. Have any of you tried this?

I just received a Ka Bar knife from Ebay that said it was genuine... markings on the blade say I received say made in "Oleam, NY" .Not Olean. I did report it to Ebay as counterfeit and asked for my money back as it is covered under their policy. The seller has another 36 hours to respond. So we will see. When I went back through the sellers reviews, I then saw someone comment about counterfeits that I didn't see before. I would think if someone reported it and Ebay did nothing then they are complicit and are guilty of enabling the selling of counterfeit merchandise. I'd bet the FBI might be interested as Ebay would have to pay a hefty fine and finding out how many counterfeit products would be easy after getting access to their accounts.

I have seen this knife and reported it ... several times. Unfortunately, there isn't too much recourse. On the off chance an eBay or Amazon actually does respond to a trademark or patent violation the offender generally just opens up another account with a different username. We don't do business directly with Amazon or eBay, which does not put us very high on their policing priority list. The best step we can take is to educate on what is a legitimate KA-BAR. We have found that often generic or "K-BAR" style knives being sold alongside legitimate KA-BARs tend to push KA-BAR sales. We receive very few returns as a result of defects - unfortunately, many knives we do see come back to us are knock offs from an unsuspecting buyer.

I’d love to see a thread even a sticky. With pictures of those broken fakes.

Vboss7. Good luck with your counterfeit. I hope it works out in your favor.

Please read posts above. Ebay is NOT LEGALLY LIABLE. There is a disclaimer on every ad stating seller is responsible for listing. Read official KA-BAR, they cannot chase down the sellers. Why would you not notice the misspelling in the ad? I bet it was a really good deal money-wise so you jumped on it. When a deal is too good to be true it usually is.

Not right to blame the victim of a crime. We all need to be vigilant against these fakes. That’s why I started the thread.

Too good to be true? That expression goes back to at least the sixteenth century. There has always been someone ready to rip us off.

Last edited:
Not right to blame the victim of a crime. We all need to be vigilant against these fakes. That’s why I started the thread.

Too good to be true? That expression goes back to at least the sixteenth century. There has always been someone ready to rip us off.

Completely agree

Back