Falchion-like object

Mecha

Titanium Bladesmith
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hello sword folks,

Here is a small sword that is sort of like a falchion. The blade is made of forged titanium-niobium alloy, and the handguard is grade 38 titanium alloy, both hardened. Weight is 1.5 lbs, oal is 30" and features a nice distal taper. So it's sort of a wakizashi-sized falchion. A nice useful size! I tried to bring this one up a notch in just being a nicely finished, with mixed results. However the various balances and percussion node points etc are perfect.

xm82gru.jpg

DsPo65E.jpg

1QHAkfQ.jpg

hXU2FO0.jpg

MhD4wX8.jpg

Dramatic video!

Hello sword folks,

Here is a small sword that is sort of like a falchion. The blade is made of forged titanium-niobium alloy, and the handguard is grade 38 titanium alloy, both hardened. Weight is 1.5 lbs, oal is 30" and features a nice distal taper. So it's sort of a wakizashi-sized falchion. A nice useful size! I tried to bring this one up a notch in just being a nicely finished, with mixed results. However the various balances and percussion node points etc are perfect.

xm82gru.jpg

DsPo65E.jpg

1QHAkfQ.jpg

hXU2FO0.jpg

MhD4wX8.jpg

Dramatic video!

That is one mean looking blade!

I noticed a lot of your creations have quite vertical tips rather than pointy acute tips. Is there a reason for this, or is it just a style choice?

I know falchions often have quite obtuse tips anyway.

Last edited:
Hello sword folks,

xm82gru.jpg

DsPo65E.jpg

1QHAkfQ.jpg

hXU2FO0.jpg

MhD4wX8.jpg

Dramatic video!

That's beautiful .

I like everything except the finals on the cross guard. Those points look dangerous to the user.

n2s

Thanks much, everyone! Glad the sword is interesting to see.

that' gorgeous! I like the stoutness of the tang.

One thing about ti alloys, since they're fairly light weight you can make a robustly-built blade without getting too heavy. :)

Thanks much, everyone! Glad the sword is interesting to see.

One thing about ti alloys, since they're fairly light weight you can make a robustly-built blade without getting too heavy. :)

It's incredible work. Always like looking at the stuff you make:)

I like everything except the finals on the cross guard. Those points look dangerous to the user.

n2s

I didn't have a problem with the quillons, but at any rate I'd say they're more dangerous to whatever's on the receiving end. :D

That is one mean looking blade!

I noticed a lot of your creations have quite vertical tips rather than pointy acute tips. Is there a reason for this, or is it just a style choice?

I know falchions often have quite obtuse tips anyway.

I'm glad you asked, and I'll try to explain:

The tip was inspired by a Chinese jian I saw a few years ago. It had a tip that was at a blunt angle like this sword, except it was double-edged so it was two such angles back to back. I thought tip was striking and interesting, and it dawned on me how something like that would be useful with jian techniques I'd learned that perhaps didn't make the most sense - the tip of that jian was enlightening with regards to how a jian is used. That type of sword tip was later explained to me by two Chinese sword-maker guys who said the use translates into "sawing" and is sort of an angled push-cut thrust, or short, hard cut.

That sort of tip can punch into a target with a of acute thud, like a heavy kubotan sort of thing, except that it is very sharp and will stab also. It allows me to make the end of the sword thin, yet also very strong under hard impact, unlike a wispy thrusting tip...it extends the effective heavy blow area of the blade all the way out past the sweet spot and to the very end of the blade!

Unlike that jian, this sword gets wider at the distal end, which helps give it lots of cutting power even though it's fairly light. So it's sort of a curved, single-edged version of that "sawing" jian. It is a shape or design that takes great advantage of the light, tough ti alloy blade that begs you to use it in an aggressive, cavalier way, with fast, hard cuts.

In this era or age, a sword like this if pressed into weaponly service would almost certainly be used like a machete, bat or stick, with simple, natural strikes and aggressive, gross body movement. Nobody is taking their rapier and dueling a couple of crackheads who run up in their workshop at night. They're not going to be parrying and thrusting and running someone through with accuracy. This sort of sword is simply a great design for the typical swordly skill set of this age. The sword would also be fantastic when used by a highly skilled swordsman.

It is also designed to be a grade A++ machete for all sorts of plants from light grass to splitting firewood, use as a breaching tool, demolition tool, trail buster, giant tuna fish filet knife, etc., in addition to looking intimidating. It can do pretty much anything.

It's everything I want a sword to be! :D And it's very natural for me to make. It actually took quite a lot of testing and thinking and such to refine the design, which isn't as simple as it looks. What is interesting is that it's very similar to the swords Leonardo had in the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles before TMNT got ruined by the super idiotic new versions. On the Knife or Death tv show set, everyone was calling the style a "ninja sword" for lack of a better description, LOL!

I didn't have a problem with the quillons, but at any rate I'd say they're more dangerous to whatever's on the receiving end. :D

I'm glad you asked, and I'll try to explain:

The tip was inspired by a Chinese jian I saw a few years ago. It had a tip that was at a blunt angle like this sword, except it was double-edged so it was two such angles back to back. I thought tip was striking and interesting, and it dawned on me how something like that would be useful with jian techniques I'd learned that perhaps didn't make the most sense - the tip of that jian was enlightening with regards to how a jian is used. That type of sword tip was later explained to me by two Chinese sword-maker guys who said the use translates into "sawing" and is sort of an angled push-cut thrust, or short, hard cut.

That sort of tip can punch into a target with a of acute thud, like a heavy kubotan sort of thing, except that it is very sharp and will stab also. It allows me to make the end of the sword thin, yet also very strong under hard impact, unlike a wispy thrusting tip...it extends the effective heavy blow area of the blade all the way out past the sweet spot and to the very end of the blade!

Unlike that jian, this sword gets wider at the distal end, which helps give it lots of cutting power even though it's fairly light. So it's sort of a curved, single-edged version of that "sawing" jian. It is a shape or design that takes great advantage of the light, tough ti alloy blade that begs you to use it in an aggressive, cavalier way, with fast, hard cuts.

In this era or age, a sword like this if pressed into weaponly service would almost certainly be used like a machete, bat or stick, with simple, natural strikes and aggressive, gross body movement. Nobody is taking their rapier and dueling a couple of crackheads who run up in their workshop at night. They're not going to be parrying and thrusting and running someone through with accuracy. This sort of sword is simply a great design for the typical swordly skill set of this age. The sword would also be fantastic when used by a highly skilled swordsman.

It is also designed to be a grade A++ machete for all sorts of plants from light grass to splitting firewood, use as a breaching tool, demolition tool, trail buster, giant tuna fish filet knife, etc., in addition to looking intimidating. It can do pretty much anything.

It's everything I want a sword to be! :D And it's very natural for me to make. It actually took quite a lot of testing and thinking and such to refine the design, which isn't as simple as it looks. What is interesting is that it's very similar to the swords Leonardo had in the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles before TMNT got ruined by the super idiotic new versions. On the Knife or Death tv show set, everyone was calling the style a "ninja sword" for lack of a better description, LOL!

Yeah it does alot like Leonardo’s sword. Sort of an exaggerated american tanto tip.

So if I understand what you’re saying the tip edge sort of push cuts into a stab, sort of like a chisel into wood. Obviously a falchion is not much of a stabber anyway.

Makes sense, I really enjoy hearing about new sword fighting techniques. It is an area of great interest for me.

Yeah it does alot like Leonardo’s sword. Sort of an exaggerated american tanto tip.

So if I understand what you’re saying the tip edge sort of push cuts into a stab, sort of like a chisel into wood. Obviously a falchion is not much of a stabber anyway.

Makes sense, I really enjoy hearing about new sword fighting techniques. It is an area of great interest for me.

Yep, that's the idea. Pretty much a can-opener tip ninja sword ca. 1980s ninja turtles, that also makes a good machete.

Very Cool. Looks like it would be perfectly at home on the set of LOTR in the hands of a Orc!

Very Cool. Looks like it would be perfectly at home on the set of LOTR in the hands of a Orc!
Hey now, that is clearly the clean lines of Dwarven craft, and the only way the Orc would get his hands on it would be prying it loose from a cold, dead Dwarf. Unless he is trying to pry it loose from his own skull.

I like Mecha's tips, there won't be any worry about them bending out of line. They remind me more of a jie dao instead of a jian, but I am more of a chopper than a poker.

Hey now, that is clearly the clean lines of Dwarven craft, and the only way the Orc would get his hands on it would be prying it loose from a cold, dead Dwarf. Unless he is trying to pry it loose from his own skull.

I like Mecha's tips, there won't be any worry about them bending out of line. They remind me more of a jie dao instead of a jian, but I am more of a chopper than a poker.

Yes it was a pretty unique jian that had the blunted tip, this is more like half of that jian blade, turned into a dao. I called it a "falchion" because of the hilt but it's probably more of a dao. It's a Mecha sword!

I know the sword folks are interested in this kind of thing, so here are the locations of the vibration nodes and balance point on this blade, which is similar to what I'm aiming for on all of the blades of this style:

D7Xjv7k.jpg

Makes for a nice Cadillac cutting feel.

as usual, excellent work, that is something special. Nearly perfect (I'd be tempted to round off the spike tips on the guard tho ;-)

the Nb variant of Ti you use is likely the best form of alloy for this, how high did you manage to get the hardness?

It kind of reminds me of a cross between a filipino kampilan and a Maciejowski medieval chopper.

n2s
That was my first thought as well. It's fine as a decorative object, but how on earth could one walk around with that hanging in a scabbard on their belt and not risk jabbing their hands and forearms on those crossguard tips constantly. At the very least you'd be tearing up your sleeve a lot. Maybe if you carried it around in a back-scabbard (if that's the correct term for it), but even then I can think of things that could go wrong with it. Seems like a lot of potential trouble for little potential gain, besides looking badass. Maybe you could use them to jab someone in a close-in fight in specific circumstances, but it's not worth it for the price of punctured and torn hands and clothing. Now, if you could fashion small decorative tip-protectors that could easily be popped off when desired, that would answer perfectly.
When I was younger I decided to carry my very sharp hatchet/tomahawk gizmo stuck into my belt for the 1/4 mile walk to a campsite. I figured I'd just keep it in mind and be cautious: it took about 100 yards for me to lacerate my arm on the edge of it. By the time I got to the campsite, I had cut my sleeve as well, and my shirt had snagged and developed a hole in it. I decided proper scabbards and sheaths were in order after that, and I distrust sharp objects hanging unprotected about my waist where my hands spend 90% of the time moving around, most of it without paying too much attention to what they are doing.

That was my first thought as well. It's fine as a decorative object, but how on earth could one walk around with that hanging in a scabbard on their belt and not risk jabbing their hands and forearms on those crossguard tips constantly. At the very least you'd be tearing up your sleeve a lot. Maybe if you carried it around in a back-scabbard (if that's the correct term for it), but even then I can think of things that could go wrong with it. Seems like a lot of potential trouble for little potential gain, besides looking badass. Maybe you could use them to jab someone in a close-in fight in specific circumstances, but it's not worth it for the price of punctured and torn hands and clothing. Now, if you could fashion small decorative tip-protectors that could easily be popped off when desired, that would answer perfectly.
When I was younger I decided to carry my very sharp hatchet/tomahawk gizmo stuck into my belt for the 1/4 mile walk to a campsite. I figured I'd just keep it in mind and be cautious: it took about 100 yards for me to lacerate my arm on the edge of it. By the time I got to the campsite, I had cut my sleeve as well, and my shirt had snagged and developed a hole in it. I decided proper scabbards and sheaths were in order after that, and I distrust sharp objects hanging unprotected about my waist where my hands spend 90% of the time moving around, most of it without paying too much attention to what they are doing.

All good points made about the guard, but I don't expect this sword to be getting carried around on a belt much. The European single-combat dueling weapons with sharp hilt parts were likely not getting carried around either.

I think if someone was walking around with it they'd end up with bigger problems than getting their sleeves caught on the guard! :D Probably more of a menace to a car's interior as anything. When messing about with the blade I was just aware of the guard and it wasn't a problem.

Removable point covers are a nice idea. Most of my swords don't have pointy hilt parts; I think this is only the second one.

Back