Fall Campout at Allegheny National Forest

Me and some buddies got together for fall camping in Allegheny National Forest. The weather was calling for rain all weekend but we managed to dodge that bullet. Temps got down to 35 at night. Not bad!
SV81WA9.jpg

pF9ow7u.jpg

vBCm5kr.jpg

mhrRKmm.jpg

C8dCdFA.jpg

DbpsP7D.jpg

WTBIaot.jpg

fvOF6qF.jpg

EjUmaqL.jpg

lMeDp33.jpg

RDlJD1O.jpg

u5uLkyq.jpg

N4GtATA.jpg

Video of the weekend

Glad you had a nice weekend. What part of the Allegheny NF did you wonder into for the weekend? Are those wool pants you're wearing? Just curious. I only break out the wool when it gets cold.

One of the guys had wool pants. Not sure what brand, he got them at goodwill. We were in the western part of ANF near Marienville. Thanks for looking.

I have a pair of the Swedish military wool pants that look a lot like that. They're heavy. The price at Goodwill can't be beat if you find something you want. Most of my northern PA experiences were east of you in the Emporium and surrounding area. Marienville is sort of at the edge of my experience. Nice fire by the way! Looks like you were having a nice outing. You guys scouting for deer too?

It looks you had a good time :):thumbsup:! Nice camp set-up, good tools and good pics/video. Thanks for sharing :)! One question: here, where it's possible to make a fire (unfortunately not many places today, specially in protected areas or Parks :(), they make a big thing about "containing" the fire-pit either with stones or by shoveling and digging a hole. Since it also looks not so wet ground around you there, which techniques would you employ if fire would go a bit "out of hand"? Was it a river or a lake in the background? Thanks!

It looks you had a good time :):thumbsup:! Nice camp set-up, good tools and good pics/video. Thanks for sharing :)! One question: here, where it's possible to make a fire (unfortunately not many places today, specially in protected areas or Parks :(), they make a big thing about "containing" the fire-pit either with stones or by shoveling and digging a hole. Since it also looks not so wet ground around you there, which techniques would you employ if fire would go a bit "out of hand"? Was it a river or a lake in the background? Thanks!
National Forest in the US allow fires. There is no need for fire pits, rocks and all that. Consider my area is different then yours.

I have a pair of the Swedish military wool pants that look a lot like that. They're heavy. The price at Goodwill can't be beat if you find something you want. Most of my northern PA experiences were east of you in the Emporium and surrounding area. Marienville is sort of at the edge of my experience. Nice fire by the way! Looks like you were having a nice outing. You guys scouting for deer too?
Scouting for new places to camp. We are continually moving our campsite in that area.

National Forest in the US allow fires. There is no need for fire pits, rocks and all that. Consider my area is different then yours.
I think he's trying to politely ask you what your plan was if what appears to be very dry leaves close to and around your fire start burning. Just because fire pits/rocks and all that are not required doesn't mean they're not a good precaution/practice. Also making it easier to leave as little trace as possible for the next guy who comes through there.--KV

Back