Fall into Fun GAW (Winner: ED)

JohnDF

Gold Member
Seems all the recent GAWs have run their course... Time again for one of my own. Probably my last for this year anyway :)

This GAW will be Autumn or Fall inspired. This is my favorite time of year and the weather is starting to cool off finally. It's time for football, catching BIG fish, deer hunting, visits to apple orchards, and carving pumpkins. This GAW will be open to Porch regulars, I will have to recognize your avatar, name, and contributions to this sub forum. You guys know who you are, and if you're in doubt... Post anyways.

To enter just post your "IN" and include a picture or story of your favorite Fall activity or scenery. Off topic discussion is allowed and encouraged. This GAW will run until October 1st. So there is just two weeks to get your entry in!!! I hope to see many of you enter.

Like my Sci Fi GAW, I will choose 10 finalists based on what moves me, makes me smile, or the amount of likes it receives. I will post the top 10 finalists and the next day I will randomly pick one of them as the winner. This way it doesn't matter if you were the first post or the last post, your chances are based on the quality of your entry. Good Luck to all.

The prize...
It's a special one for sure. It is my Queen #51 Single Blade Mini Trapper in Rosewood. This is a Factory Sample, one of only five that were made. With the closing of Queen Cutlery, this knife was never put into production. It's your chance to own a piece of cutlery history. It's a pretty cool knife...

Last edited:
wow - that's gorgeous and very generous!
best of luck to all who enter.
(not in)

Very generous, and a beautiful knife. :)
Good luck to all who enter.
I'm not in. As beautiful as that knife is, I'd be afraid to carry it.

Fall is my favorite time of year. One of my favorite things to do is to be in the field, especially with one of my kids. I’m in please.
Eu1kY8q.jpg

ETA: Here’s another of my favorite fall family activities (taken just this morning):
YOtSFoZ.jpg

4EXDV86.jpg

Last edited:
I'd like to donate my entry to @meako because he makes me laugh and keeps things fun.

I love Fall as well--the cooler temperatures, the foods of the holidays, the outdoor walks, college football, the World Series, and campfires--to name a few. I don't get to do my favorite Fall activity of all time because I no longer live in the right region of the country, but when I was in college in Virginia I loved going up to the Blue Ridge Parkway and hiking up to look out over the forests of color. I wasn't a photo taker in those days, so I don't have any good pictures of myself, but here's a shot of something like what I'd get to see:

autumn-at-crabtree-falls-virginia-karen-jorstad.jpg

I also don't remember carrying knives much in those days, either. But here's one I like to carry now:

fullsizeoutput_29d6.jpeg

I'm in, that's a treasure for sure:D

Fall brings the Rennaisance Faire here in NorCal, which is where I met my wife 18 years ago :) Coincidentally, I just came across this picture from 2000 when we first started dating...going to use the faces in the locket I got her for our anniversary next week.

Screenshot_20180918-1910212.png

~Chip

Fall brings the Rennaisance Faire here in NorCal, which is where I met my wife 18 years ago :) Coincidentally, I just came across this picture from 2000 when we first started dating...going to use the faces in the locket I got her for our anniversary next week.

~Chip
That's awesome! It just started too :) And I still call it the Renaissance Pleasure Faire...old school :thumbsup:

I can't be in since I have won two GAWs recently. It would just be too greedy to enter, as desirable as the knife is. That said, I love to participate.

This picture might seem a little strange, but I just thought it was the coolest thing when I saw it while working the other day. I find the partially skeletonized remains of gopher snakes and other small animals fairly regularly, but I loved that this one seems to have frozen into a permanent threat display. Also, the complete nature of the articulated skeleton with the intact head was just neat.20180917_112637.jpg

~Chip

I took my four year old daughter to her first Ren Faire last week, and she absolutely loved it. We went two days since she had so much fun. She wore a queen outfit the first day, and then a pirate costume the second. She had a blast. They really are a lot of fun.

Very generous GAW JohnDF JohnDF and great theme! I’m in :) I don't have any typical Fall photos but many thoughts on the subject.

Fall is my favorite time of the year for so many reasons I don’t even know where to begin.

My daughter was born in the Fall and I think of her a lot this time of the year. She is currently in Chicago studying at Second City and I couldn’t be more proud of her. Here she is (middle) recently with some fellow performers at the infamous Old Town Ale House across the street from Second City. That bar is legendary and I’m happy to say I had drinks with her and the Second City cast when I was there earlier this year :)
Addy_02.jpg

My birthday is in the Fall and this is one of my favorite photos having a little celebration with my daughter when she was here last year.
AddyNMe_01.jpg

Fall is a great time to visit the National Parks...especially Yosemite. No crowds and perfect weather for adventure. Plus all the crazy rock climbers do crazy things on El Capitan in the Fall and it is fun to just sit there with some binoculars and watch from El Cap Meadow. Doesn't look like much in the photo but that is 3000' of vertical granite face.
Yosemite_01.jpg

Fall is also a great time to visit the Pacific coast. Me soaking it in.
Me_01.jpg

My wife and I got married in the Fall. We usually go to the wine country (harvest!) for our anniversary or the coast of course :)
Wife_01.jpg

Fall is a great time to visit Disneyland (especially Halloween theme Disneyland).
Disney_01.jpg

And it also means that it is time for some surf perch! You can catch them pretty much all year round but it is nice to have surf fishing available to me in the colder months when not much else is available. Here is a decent catch at Sunset Beach, CA. Barred Perch are ok to eat but I'd much rather catch some Red Tails :) (ask @gunstockjack he knows what I'm talkin' about)
Fish_01.jpg

Did I mention sports? Oh hell yes it is time for some sports! The dark time of the sport’s year is over and several good things are upon us: the World Series, NFL, NBA, NHL and a Ryder Cup or some cool golf tournament happens too. I’ll spare the sports photos but will leave you with just one little thing...GO NINERS!!! :) And good luck to you all :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
John, thank you for the special giveaway, I'm in. Fall is my favorite season as well, with the crisp air, the start of football season, then hockey and hunting. We also have a lot of fall birthdays in my family, which adds to the fun.

Autumn on the river
21Bs0IQ.jpg

Front yard barred owl from bedroom window
NoHO0RI.jpg

Backyard whitetail deer from kitchen window
oACtXvq.jpg

Sheep hunt at 9,000 ft. elevation
jXoSUzo.jpg

Granddaughter's birthday party
IUosSoh.jpg

Mount McKinley moose
LBSpRN5.jpg

Deer hunting combo
ejxBmTx.jpg

Thank you very much for the opportunity I'm in. I didn't have to think very hard about this one hands down my favorite thing to do in the fall ( My very favorite time of year. ) is to walk the walking trails in my City. You see I was in a car accident back in 1998 and I broke both legs both arms dislocated my hip and broke my right foot in 3 different places. In all I had 24 broken bones. One being a compound fracture to my right leg witch took a 2 1/2 inch titanium rod to put back in place witch is still in there to this day. I'm telling you all this to explain I have mobility issues that limit me quite a bit in what I can do these days. Which sucks because I used to love walking in the woods. My dad would take me as a kid on the weekends when he came to pick me up . Sometimes fishing sometimes just hiking. As I got older I still continued doing this when I got the opportunity. After the accident I did heal fairly well. I managed to get back up on my feet in just 3 months mind you I was still in lots of pain. As it turns out my right foot that I broke in 3 places ended up with arthritis all threw it as well as my right leg so that was the end of my walking in the woods. Until I moved from my hometown of Saint John to Fredericton that is. All over New Brunswick there are old abandoned train tracks and Fredericton is no exception. The cool thing is they put this opportunity to good use. The Saint John River runs straight through the middle of the city and on each side there were train tracks running along side the river so the city had the tracks removed and made walking trails out of most of the tracks going through town. The coolest part was they even made a huge beautiful walking bridge out of the old train brige. Because these trails are ether paved or well kept with gravel even with my bum leg I can take a nice walk as long as I take my time. There's plenty of spots to stop and rest if I need it too. This time of year the trees are very nice to look at many people travel here just to see them. Much like they do in Maine in the US I'm sure. I only live about 85 minutes from Calais Maine. So I'll include a few pictures of the trails as well as the walking bridge that help to give me back something I truly missed doing for years. Thanks again for your great GAW. Trevor 1085.jpeg CityofFred-10-PendingApproval.png dji_0728.jpeg 1200px-FrederictonPedBridge2014.jpg fdpaxt13wd3z.jpg

Thank you very much for the opportunity I'm in. I didn't have to think very hard about this one hands down my favorite thing to do in the fall ( My very favorite time of year. ) is to walk the walking trails in my City. You see I was in a car accident back in 1998 and I broke both legs both arms dislocated my hip and broke my right foot in 3 different places. In all I had 24 broken bones. One being a compound fracture to my right leg witch took a 2 1/2 inch titanium rod to put back in place witch is still in there to this day. I'm telling you all this to explain I have mobility issues that limit me quite a bit in what I can do these days. Which sucks because I used to love walking in the woods. My dad would take me as a kid on the weekends when he came to pick me up . Sometimes fishing sometimes just hiking. As I got older I still continued doing this when I got the opportunity. After the accident I did heal fairly well. I managed to get back up on my feet in just 3 months mind you I was still in lots of pain. As it turns out my right foot that I broke in 3 places ended up with arthritis all threw it as well as my right leg so that was the end of my walking in the woods. Until I moved from my hometown of Saint John to Fredericton that is. All over New Brunswick there are old abandoned train tracks and Fredericton is no exception. The cool thing is they put this opportunity to good use. The Saint John River runs straight through the middle of the city and on each side there were train tracks running along side the river so the city had the tracks removed and made walking trails out of most of the tracks going through town. The coolest part was they even made a huge beautiful walking bridge out of the old train brige. Because these trails are ether paved or well kept with gravel even with my bum leg I can take a nice walk as long as I take my time. There's plenty of spots to stop and rest if I need it too. This time of year the trees are very nice to look at many people travel here just to see them. Much like they do in Maine in the US I'm sure. I only live about 85 minutes from Calais Maine. So I'll include a few pictures of the trails as well as the walking bridge that help to give me back something I truly missed doing for years. Thanks again for your great GAW. Trevor View attachment 988057 View attachment 988058 View attachment 988060 View attachment 988061 View attachment 988062
Trevor I am glad to hear you survived such terrible injuries. What a beautiful place you live! St John and the surrounding area is on my "bucket list" of places to visit.

I'd like to donate my entry to @meako because he makes me laugh and keeps things fun.

I love Fall as well--the cooler temperatures, the foods of the holidays, the outdoor walks, college football, the World Series, and campfires--to name a few. I don't get to do my favorite Fall activity of all time because I no longer live in the right region of the country, but when I was in college in Virginia I loved going up to the Blue Ridge Parkway and hiking up to look out over the forests of color. I wasn't a photo taker in those days, so I don't have any good pictures of myself, but here's a shot of something like what I'd get to see:

autumn-at-crabtree-falls-virginia-karen-jorstad.jpg

I also don't remember carrying knives much in those days, either. But here's one I like to carry now:

View attachment 988012
Oh ya, the camp fires are the best. Cooking coffee and telling stories with family and friends. Great stuff.

~Chip
The Rennaisance Faire is a lot of fun. I've taken my kids to a couple and we enjoy it every time. They keep trying to draft my son into the guard. Lol

Beautiful and special knife John. Fall is my favorite time of year. I am not in for obvious reasons but thank you once again for yet another act of kindness and generosity. Good luck to all.View attachment 988021
I understand and I'm glad you decided to still add content to the thread.
I can't be in since I have won two GAWs recently. It would just be too greedy to enter, as desirable as the knife is. That said, I love to participate.

This picture might seem a little strange, but I just thought it was the coolest thing when I saw it while working the other day. I find the partially skeletonized remains of gopher snakes and other small animals fairly regularly, but I loved that this one seems to have frozen into a permanent threat display. Also, the complete nature of the articulated skeleton with the intact head was just neat.View attachment 988029
Looks like maybe the mice had their revenge. Lol

Very generous GAW JohnDF JohnDF and great theme! I’m in :) I don't have any typical Fall photos but many thoughts on the subject.

Fall is my favorite time of the year for so many reasons I don’t even know where to begin.

My daughter was born in the Fall and I think of her a lot this time of the year. She is currently in Chicago studying at Second City and I couldn’t be more proud of her. Here she is (middle) recently with some fellow performers at the infamous Old Town Ale House across the street from Second City. That bar is legendary and I’m happy to say I had drinks with her and the Second City cast when I was there earlier this year :)
View attachment 988032

My birthday is in the Fall and this is one of my favorite photos having a little celebration with my daughter when she was here last year.
View attachment 988033

Fall is a great time to visit the National Parks...especially Yosemite. No crowds and perfect weather for adventure. Plus all the crazy rock climbers do crazy things on El Capitan in the Fall and it is fun to just sit there with some binoculars and watch from El Cap Meadow. Doesn't look like much in the photo but that is 3000' of vertical granite face.
View attachment 988039

Fall is also a great time to visit the Pacific coast. Me soaking it in.
View attachment 988036

My wife and I got married in the Fall. We usually go to the wine country (harvest!) for our anniversary or the coast of course :)
View attachment 988038

Fall is a great time to visit Disneyland (especially Halloween theme Disneyland).
View attachment 988034

And it also means that it is time for some surf perch! You can catch them pretty much all year round but it is nice to have surf fishing available to me in the colder months when not much else is available. Here is a decent catch at Sunset Beach, CA. Barred Perch are ok to eat but I'd much rather catch some Red Tails :) (ask @gunstockjack he knows what I'm talkin' about)
View attachment 988035

Did I mention sports? Oh hell yes it is time for some sports! The dark time of the sport’s year is over and several good things are upon us: the World Series, NFL, NBA, NHL and a Ryder Cup or some cool golf tournament happens too. I’ll spare the sports photos but will leave you with just one little thing...GO NINERS!!! :) And good luck to you all :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Great looking family... and oh man, do I love Disneyland at Halloween time. Go Hawks!

John, thank you for the special giveaway, I'm in. Fall is my favorite season as well, with the crisp air, the start of football season, then hockey and hunting. We also have a lot of fall birthdays in my family, which adds to the fun.

Autumn on the river
21Bs0IQ.jpg

Front yard barred owl from bedroom window
NoHO0RI.jpg

Backyard whitetail deer from kitchen window
oACtXvq.jpg

Sheep hunt at 9,000 ft. elevation
jXoSUzo.jpg

Granddaughter's birthday party
IUosSoh.jpg

Mount McKinley moose
LBSpRN5.jpg

Deer hunting combo
ejxBmTx.jpg
Great pictures. I also live in the country and love seeing the deer, turkeys, bobcats, fox, owls, coyotes, and hawks from my porch.

Thank you very much for the opportunity I'm in. I didn't have to think very hard about this one hands down my favorite thing to do in the fall ( My very favorite time of year. ) is to walk the walking trails in my City. You see I was in a car accident back in 1998 and I broke both legs both arms dislocated my hip and broke my right foot in 3 different places. In all I had 24 broken bones. One being a compound fracture to my right leg witch took a 2 1/2 inch titanium rod to put back in place witch is still in there to this day. I'm telling you all this to explain I have mobility issues that limit me quite a bit in what I can do these days. Which sucks because I used to love walking in the woods. My dad would take me as a kid on the weekends when he came to pick me up . Sometimes fishing sometimes just hiking. As I got older I still continued doing this when I got the opportunity. After the accident I did heal fairly well. I managed to get back up on my feet in just 3 months mind you I was still in lots of pain. As it turns out my right foot that I broke in 3 places ended up with arthritis all threw it as well as my right leg so that was the end of my walking in the woods. Until I moved from my hometown of Saint John to Fredericton that is. All over New Brunswick there are old abandoned train tracks and Fredericton is no exception. The cool thing is they put this opportunity to good use. The Saint John River runs straight through the middle of the city and on each side there were train tracks running along side the river so the city had the tracks removed and made walking trails out of most of the tracks going through town. The coolest part was they even made a huge beautiful walking bridge out of the old train brige. Because these trails are ether paved or well kept with gravel even with my bum leg I can take a nice walk as long as I take my time. There's plenty of spots to stop and rest if I need it too. This time of year the trees are very nice to look at many people travel here just to see them. Much like they do in Maine in the US I'm sure. I only live about 85 minutes from Calais Maine. So I'll include a few pictures of the trails as well as the walking bridge that help to give me back something I truly missed doing for years. Thanks again for your great GAW. Trevor View attachment 988057 View attachment 988058 View attachment 988060 View attachment 988061 View attachment 988062
It's really great when cities give people a place to get away from it all and take a nice walk. That bridge is the icing on the cake. Looks long though, I might have to bring a lunch :)

Oh ya, the camp fires are the best. Cooking coffee and telling stories with family and friends. Great stuff.

The Rennaisance Faire is a lot of fun. I've taken my kids to a couple and we enjoy it every time. They keep trying to draft my son into the guard. Lol

I understand and I'm glad you decided to still add content to the thread.
Looks like maybe the mice had their revenge. Lol

Great looking family... and oh man, do I love Disneyland at Halloween time. Go Hawks!

Great pictures. I also live in the country and love seeing the deer, turkeys, bobcats, fox, owls, coyotes, and hawks from my porch.

It's really great when cities give people a place to get away from it all and take a nice walk. That bridge is the icing on the cake. Looks long though, I might have to bring a lunch :)
Yeah it's a long one alright some people just park there car at one side of it jump on walk to the other side and back and call it a day. lol There are spots to stop and take a break along the way if you want too. ☺

Back