Fall Overnight, with some hunting

I had hunted hard last week, Saturday, Sunday and even Monday. But, it wasn't bushcrafty at all being that my In laws came with and we had to stay in their giant 5th wheel. (Don't take me the wrong way, it was nice!)

But, after all that time in the woods and not seeing anything I felt was worth taking, this weekend was all about filling my freezer. As my family buys no meat throughout the year, we eat deer and other game I take from the woods.

Something I noticed with this trip, if I didn't go to bushcraft. So I took way less pictures and video then I normally do!

The trip was to my wife's family land, on the Republican River valley in south western Nebraska.

I got there late, and set up a quick tarp lean to with a reflector and a long fire. It had snowed the day before and had melted some. At 1130pm it was 18 degrees, when I got up at 5 am it was 23! Warmed in the night!

I sat in the stand, most of the morning, had two deer down by Noon. And then all the wrok of field dressing and hauling them out of the woods. As There is a warm water slu right after where I made camp, and it is impossible to drive across, I had to cart them out by hand. That sucked! Even with a deer cart.

The great thing, about private land. I didn't see or hear another person all weekend! And that's saying something when the "Orange army" is in the woods.

Here is a short video and some pictures I manged to take.

[youtube]sVoCEYNGTOY[/YouTube]

DSC01523.jpg

DSC01498.jpg

DSC01519.jpg

DSC01520.jpg

DSC01509.jpg

DSC01500.jpg

DSC01505.jpg

DSC01526.jpg

DSC01510.jpg

My Turley SR earning its keep

DSC01529.jpg

DSC01530.jpg

Awesome shelter Skab - I really like the double reflector set-up you did...

So that metal post in the side of your head. Is that what they use to resurrect you during lightening storms :D :D :D

As a matter of afct those are Snowflake Obsedian ear rings. And in a pinch, maybe I could knap a point into them, and shoot the arrow at a smart ass in the woods!

Cool pics thanks for sharing.

In that first pic I noticed you have a pancho/tarp and a space blanket. Is it just because you wanted the bigger tarp and the reflectivity of the space blanket or is there some scientific micro climate of some sort going on in there? I've heard something similar for desert tarp setups.

Both. That is a BCUSA 10x10 tarp, with a 5x7 casuality blanket as a reflector. I leave the space between the two to act as a pocket of warmer air. There is also another space blanket as a reflector on the other side of the fire. It works too well at times, it can feel like an oven.

Nice, thanks for the pics. I love deer hunting in a stand like that. Nice and peaceful spot you have there. Congrats on filling your freezer.

Very cool..... Great pics..... Made me jealous..... Looks like a great piece of property....

It started life as a plain old SPS, now resides in a Mcmillan A4 stock, with a Schneider barrel. and lots of other little things here and there. That all added up quickly!

nice pics, skab! i need to try that reflector wall next time i'm out.

Back