Fallkniven: A1 or A2

Hey everyone,
It's been a while, and again, i require your expertise:)
I've decided that i want either the Fallkniven A1 or A2 for my "camping/survival/hunting" knife.
However, the two knives have differences that causes me to not know which one to pick.
Do you guys have any experience with either and which one would you recommend.
The idea is i want a knife in which i could go in a forest in, and survive, have nothing else but this knife on me.

The "have nothing else but this knife on me and survive" part is something you should consider, discard, and come up with a better option. As for the A1 vs A2 question, I have both, and if you are limiting yourself to just the A1 or A2, I would have to say the A1. If you would expand your choices to the entire Fallkniven line, and still limited yourself to only one knife, I would recommend either the F1 or H1. If you wanted to stay with Fallkniven only, and were to open your options to two knives instead of one, I would say the A2 along with either the F1 or H1. Fallkniven makes some excellent knives, and, in giving my opinion here, I have stayed within that brand. There are many, many other options out there.

Reactions: vba
The "have nothing else but this knife on me and survive" part is something you should consider, discard, and come up with a better option. As for the A1 vs A2 question, I have both, and if you are limiting yourself to just the A1 or A2, I would have to say the A1. If you would expand your choices to the entire Fallkniven line, and still limited yourself to only one knife, I would recommend either the F1 or H1. If you wanted to stay with Fallkniven only, and were to open your options to two knives instead of one, I would say the A2 along with either the F1 or H1. Fallkniven makes some excellent knives, and, in giving my opinion here, I have stayed within that brand. There are many, many other options out there.

It was just a "worst case scenario" idea. Hence the "have nothing else but this knife on me and survive". Can you give reasons why you would prefer the A1 over the A2? You mentioned that there are many other options out there, would you be kind enough to name a few and what makes them better?
Thanks alot for your reply, much appreciated :)

I think either way you choose, both will be a great choice for survival :eek: :thumbup: :cool:

It was just a "worst case scenario" idea. Hence the "have nothing else but this knife on me and survive". Can you give reasons why you would prefer the A1 over the A2? You mentioned that there are many other options out there, would you be kind enough to name a few and what makes them better?
Thanks alot for your reply, much appreciated :)

The A1 doesn't get in your way as much as the A2 when trying to do finer work because it simply isn't as long. In a single knife scenario, that should count for something when choosing between these two. As for the many other options, and what makes them better, I said there were many other options out there, I didn't say that they were neccessarily better. I really like the Fallkniven products. I also have and use all of the Randall Rat series made by Ontario, and find them to be excellent tools. I have several swamp rat knives as well as a Scrapyard scrapper 6 that I think are excellent tools. One thing that I really like in a knife, that is absent on the Fallkniven knives, is a finger choil for use when choking up on the blade. A choil, IMHO, gives you much better control over a blade when performing intricate tasks. I collect knives (nearly obsessively), and use/test out every one I get, and my preferences in what I carry out to the bushes changes regularly when I find something new that floats my boat. For what it's worth, my current outdoor cutlery selection of choice (today anyway as I just got back from a hike) consists of Scrapper 6 in pack, Fallkniven F1 in a chest rig from www.survivalsheath.com , Leatherman wave in pack, Victorinox Hiker in pocket. Usually I will carry one large/medium fixed blade(Rat-7, Rat-5, Tak, battle rat, Scrapper 6, A2, A1, Kershaw Outcast, Kabar large heavy bowie, Becker Brute (one of my favorites), BK9 or 7), one or two(if I am with other people I carry two) small fixed blades (Fallkniven F1, H1, howling rat (one of my favorites), Rat-3, BM fixed Grip, spyderco Temperance, spyderco perrin, BM gamer, etc.), a multi tool (leatherman Surge or Wave), and SAK (Usually hiker or trekker, but it varies with whatever happens to be on top of pile in drawer as long as it has a saw), I also always carry a diamond paddle type sharpener with fine/coarse grit on opposite sides from DMT or Eze-lap. I will taylor selection to the type of area/terrain I will be going into. Lately, on several occassions, I have substituted the Hossum Retribution 1 for one of the fixed blades, and I have been extremely satisfied with it's performance. I can't wait to try out the spyderco dayhiker when it ships in December as it looks like a great medium sized fixed blade. I am by no means an expert...I am just a knife knut who likes to goof off in the woods occassionally, and you will find many many people on this forum that are much more knowledgable in outdoor knife selection and use than I will probably ever be. I hope I have helped you in some small way.

Back