Fallkniven F1 PRO

Hello,

past weeks I had the chance to use quite extensively a Fallkniven F1 PRO during several hiking/trekking trips here in the italian Alps.

I wrote a review about this knife on my own blog (hope to not to break any rules posting here the link)
http://adoricchi.blogspot.it/2017/01/fallkniven-f1-prothe-professional.html

In summary: Fallkniven F1 PRO is an excellent bushcraft/survival knife. it is compact, robust, affordable, it has excellent blade, excellent handle, excellent sheath.
The waterproof case and the DC4 sharpener make - thogheter with the knife and the sheath - a real "luxury survival kit".
To be honest, the only downside for the customer should be the cost - F1 PRO is for sure not a cheap knife.
In short, the Fallkniven F1 PRO has a lot of PROS, and honestly is hard to find some real CONS.

27xgg1c.jpg

Thanks for the review, I just ordered one this week. Looking forward to receiving it.

Well I received my f1 pro. It's a really nice blade. I'll be putting it to the test. But the only issue I see is the tip, I'm concerned it's to thin and frail. Have you seen or heard of any issues?

Well I received my f1 pro. It's a really nice blade. I'll be putting it to the test. But the only issue I see is the tip, I'm concerned it's to thin and frail. Have you seen or heard of any issues?

The tip on my F1 Pro is plenty strong, no need for any concern as I see it.
Pic's of Your F1 Pro would help to clear things out.
In any case I hope You enjoy Your new knife!

Regards
Mikael

I would call this a needle point on a survival knife. I emailed peter about it, and he said he has not had any problems. And if it broke it would be covered under warranty. The catch is, which I didn't know, is if I buy it from an unauthorized dealer they won't cover it under warranty. Which i did, "amazon". I don't really like that fact, considering it's still an f1 pro. And cost so much, you would think it would be covered regardless!

I would call this a needle point on a survival knife. I emailed peter about it, and he said he has not had any problems. And if it broke it would be covered under warranty. The catch is, which I didn't know, is if I buy it from an unauthorized dealer they won't cover it under warranty. Which i did, "amazon". I don't really like that fact, considering it's still an f1 pro. And cost so much, you would think it would be covered regardless!

Your right as the warranty should follow the knife imo. It being laminated it should make for a stronger and stouter blade. Fallkviven claims their laminated blades to be one and a half times stronger than regular non laminated blades. Here's something I copied from Fallkviven's website.

2.The blades are consistently thicker causing an increased torsional rigidity – they will withstand even greater external forces than before.

I've seen that, which is true for the most part, but on such a thin tip, there is no lamination, it's just straight cos steel. The lamination line stops quite far above the tip. So I'm sure it will break if used hard, which will be just a regrind. But one fallkniven will refuse due to me buying it on amazon! Crazy. I really like their blades, but didn't like hearing about that whole authorized dealer thing.

Thanks for the clear pic's!

Mine looks like that and I think it's a strong tipdesign.
I have used Fällkniven knives for ten years now, with no tip breakage.
A few knives has gone tip down into the workshop concrete floor.
This caused a dull tip that needed resharpening, but no breaking.

I'm very careful when prying with my knives (any knife) and instead I use my prybars for heavy prying.
I discussed prying with Peter ( I think it was in 2008) and he was happy to hear that I didn't pry at all with my thin tipped TK1 and instead used my H1.
I have seen pic's of heavy prying with the H1 without any damage, but tip breakage can happen to most knives, when the workloads gets over the top.

The Pro series are indeed meant for heavy duty use, but it's never wrong to combine heavy usage with some basic common sense and avoid a broken tip.

Regards
Mikael

I figured that much, I just really wish it had a tip more similar to the h1. I figure that would suit a "survival knife" much better than such a thin tip. I usually use my knife to pry pine pitch for fires, and other somewhat hard use tasks. With this knife I'm kind of hesitant to do anything other than cut things. I have an h1, and I really like the knife, but would be happier if they made it with this cos steel.

The only use for a swedge like this is on a combat knife. Better piercing. Other than that I really like this knife, the steel is really good, holds an edge better than busse's sr101, and much better than vg-10. Carves well with this thin grind, and cuts like a champ, but if I could have it my way, I would remove the swedge, and carry more meat of the blade towards the tip! Maybe peter will redesign it someday, in the meantime, I hope I don't break this one.

The CoS for sure is an upgrade from VG-10, but VG-10 is still a very good steel!

Comparing the H1 tip with the tip of the F1 Pro, doesn't show any real difference in thickness.
To me both knives seems to have similiar amount of steel in the tip.
If there's a difference I would say that the Pro has more steel in the tip than the H1!

About the swedge I think it makes the tip easier to carve a radious with.
Holding them both in hand, I think the Pro would be my choice out of the two.

I agree that the Pro would be more for a soldier and the H1 more for a hunter.
Personally I'm very fond of the Idun, but I sure like all my 4" FK's.

Regards
Mikael

b69a09210143ba35a209b11981a32c29.jpg
87cf962f2d625e930ee136003390e1be.jpg
b466f9e38ce44b8719b5a471c8cdc611.jpg
heres my pro next to my h1. I would say the f1 is quite a bit thinner. At least mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like them both regardless, actually they're probably my favorite out of all my knives except for my Carothers field knife.

The Pro is thinner at the top of the swedge, but when checking the bladeprofile it looks like the Pro has more metal in the tip.
Carothers is an interesting maker.

Regardz
Mikael

The only use for a swedge like this is on a combat knife. Better piercing. Other than that I really like this knife, the steel is really good, holds an edge better than busse's sr101, and much better than vg-10. Carves well with this thin grind, and cuts like a champ, but if I could have it my way, I would remove the swedge, and carry more meat of the blade towards the tip! Maybe peter will redesign it someday, in the meantime, I hope I don't break this one.

I'm with you on this one and I believe the only reason for the swedge being ground like that is for looks on a lot of knives or to reduce weight I guess or better piercing capabilities. I'd think the knife would cost less also if Fallkniven didn't have to grind a swedge ie. less work.

Originally Posted by rodriguez7

I'm with you on this one and I believe the only reason for the swedge being ground like that is for looks on a lot of knives or to reduce weight I guess or better piercing capabilities. I'd think the knife would cost less also if Fallkniven didn't have to grind a swedge ie. less work.

The FK knife closest to the F1 Pro in profile, but without the swedge has to be the Idun.
However, it's flatground and not saberground, but the tip is more towards the H1.

attachment.php

I really like the Idun for the classic hunting & outdoors image, in contrast to the more military look of the Pro.

Regards
Mikael

Attachments

• IMGP6170.jpg
    IMGP6170.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
I'm thinking of sending this knife somewhere and having someone fatten up the tip a little. Thinking of dropping the point a couple millimeters. It's way to fragile for my liking, and peter said it's not covered under warranty due to me buying it off amazon!!!!

I'm thinking of sending this knife somewhere and having someone fatten up the tip a little. Thinking of dropping the point a couple millimeters. It's way to fragile for my liking, and peter said it's not covered under warranty due to me buying it off amazon!!!!

Don't overthink it, it's fine, it's plenty thick for any normal knife task and then some.

I kind of all ready bent it, just prying apart a piece of wood for my fire in the house.

Back