Fallkniven S1 PRO

Hello fellows,

after several months of use, I reviewed the Fallkniven S1 PRO.

23ifeo9.jpg

I will report here just my conclusions (it is impossible to report here the entire review, too much pics):
the Fallkniven S1 PRO is an excellent survival knife. Fairly compact yet robust and higly reliable, it has an excellent blade, excellent handle, excellent sheath. The waterproof case and the DC4 sharpener - thogheter with the knife and the sheath - makes it a real "luxury survival kit". For sure, the Fallkniven S1 PRO is not a cheap knife. But in my opinion the cost of this tool is justified by the overall quality and the materials used for. In short, the Fallkniven S1 PRO knife is an advisable tool for true survivalist.

You may read - if you want - the entire review with a lot of pictures here on my blog (hope to not to break any forum rules, in case just delete):

http://adoricchi.blogspot.it/2017/04/fallkniven-s1-prothe-survivalist.html

My kindest regards,
AD

Nice review that S1 looks like a very nice knife, do you prefer it over the A1 pro for it's shorter overall length? I like your buddy and it looks like he eats well also. :thumbup: Thanks for sharing,

Nice review that S1 looks like a very nice knife, do you prefer it over the A1 pro for it's shorter overall length? I like your buddy and it looks like he eats well also. :thumbup: Thanks for sharing,

Thanks for your kind comment. Usually I like more compact knives then big, heavy knives, anyway I have not tried the A1 PRO so I can't answer your question, I'm sorry. The S1 PRO is for sure a capable, effordable knife. I never felt the need of a bigger knife during the period I had him as my main fixed blade.

OT: my buddy Charlie is a 1,5 years old Australian Cattle Dog. It's my best friend, of course :) Since he was with me, I prepare his food this way: 50% meat (pork, chicken, beef), 25% vegetables (carrots, spinach, zucchini), 25% brown rice. Sometimes I add a few eggs. This way, he seems to growing fine :)

Very nice review.

I am currently in the market for a Fallkniven. Unfortunately, I have no businesses close to me that carry the brand. Since I too have large hands, I am a little worried about the grip. That is the only complaint I can find on the S1...the girth of the grip. So I'm going between the A1 and S1pro.

Since you have the S1pro, do you have any other knives you can compare the handle to? Like a Becker or Esee?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Interesting that they changed the point from a clip to a drop more like the A1

Now I'm confused I wish I could handle the A1 pro and the S1 pro to get a feel for them. The more I look at the two of them the more I'm leaning toward the S1 pro for an alrounder. I was originally thinking about the A1 pro and a WM1 or an F1 maybe. Hmm! May have to refigure.

Nice! I think she should have sharpened it though to get down to the meat of it. Also any knife handle made of rubber that gets beat on enough is going to get messed up eventually I guess. The nice thing about it is it is quite grippy when wet.

I think a nice linen micarta handle would be nice and a little more tougher but like I mentioned if you beat on it enough it'll come loose or get dented up too. I think that the Cos steel is suppose to be better and tougher steel though than the Vg10 in the standard models. Thanks for the link. :thumbsup:

I've had my S-1 a long time though for me It would be nice to have a longer handle as my hand is 4 " across the knuckles. My oldie still sees use .

She runs through a catalogue of all the incredibly stupid things she did with that knife, then whinges about it at length. The problem wasn’t with the knife, in my view.

‘Survival’ Lilly? More like ‘Disaster’ Lilly.
Well... If it's a survival knife and someone who doesn't know about knives uses it... They will likely do the same thing. So maybe it's not a good survival knife. But hey im just being the devils advocate. Nothing more.

I still say any knife beat on enough with big rocks is going to break eventually somewhere, ie. handle, blade. If in doubt send your test knife to me and I'll gladly beat on it with some rocks. Hmm! I think I've got the perfect rock picked out already.:eek: :p:D

64803653-businessman-walking-with-a-heavy-boulder-on-his-back.jpg

Well... If it's a survival knife and someone who doesn't know about knives uses it... They will likely do the same thing. So maybe it's not a good survival knife. But hey im just being the devils advocate. Nothing more.
If that same person had learned their ‘survival’ skills from ‘Survival’ Lilly, then they would probably be better off using said knife to slit their own throat at the outset. As opposed to snapping the tip off, chipping the blade and knackering the handle, before dying a slow, painful death, unaware of all the natural resources surrounding their dehydrated, starving, hypothermic body.

She didn’t consider using a suitable rock to harvest limpets; she used a stone to baton the knife; she chopped into drift wood; she doesn’t know how to open a coconut; she seems blissfully unaware of the concept of using a knife to make other tools; she doesn’t know how to sharpen a convex grind with a stone; and she refuses to sharpen the bloody thing anyway. The list goes on.

I wouldn’t have a problem if this YouTuber billed herself as ‘Hapless’ Lilly, but I am staggered by her lack of self awareness, and by the sheer arrogance of it all. Watch, as ‘Hapless’ Lilly makes a series of foolish, ill-informed decisions, ruining an expensive bit of kit in the process, and then bitches about it.

Pilsner,
I must admit that I don’t watch any of her videos but I did watch the S1 review since I’m a Fällkniven lover. I agree with you that she’s just not knowledgeable. Maybe she represents that type of knife owner that likes being outside and camping but doesn’t want to know much about skills, resource gathering, survival mindset etc. People that think the same way probably like her reviews. For myself, her video made me cringe.

If that same person had learned their ‘survival’ skills from ‘Survival’ Lilly, then they would probably be better off using said knife to slit their own throat at the outset. As opposed to snapping the tip off, chipping the blade and knackering the handle, before dying a slow, painful death, unaware of all the natural resources surrounding their dehydrated, starving, hypothermic body.

She didn’t consider using a suitable rock to harvest limpets; she used a stone to baton the knife; she chopped into drift wood; she doesn’t know how to open a coconut; she seems blissfully unaware of the concept of using a knife to make other tools; she doesn’t know how to sharpen a convex grind with a stone; and she refuses to sharpen the bloody thing anyway. The list goes on.

I wouldn’t have a problem if this YouTuber billed herself as ‘Hapless’ Lilly, but I am staggered by her lack of self awareness, and by the sheer arrogance of it all. Watch, as ‘Hapless’ Lilly makes a series of foolish, ill-informed decisions, ruining an expensive bit of kit in the process, and then bitches about it.
Lol everyone is a survival expert now, I mean hell all you need to do is watch Bear Grylls eat camel s#!t and jump off cliffs for a few days and that's that. People are inherently ignorant, by pure nature, yet they must still show the world how "awesome" they are. #youtubeheroes lol

Lol everyone is a survival expert now, I mean hell all you need to do is watch Bear Grylls eat camel s#!t and jump off cliffs for a few days and that's that. People are inherently ignorant, by pure nature, yet they must still show the world how "awesome" they are. #youtubeheroes lol
Yes! :)

I mean, limpets... They live on rocks. Let me see now... What should I use to get those limpets off that rock?

Oooh! I know! My metal knife! GENIUS! :rolleyes:

She runs through a catalogue of all the incredibly stupid things she did with that knife, then whinges about it at length. The problem wasn’t with the knife, in my view.

‘Survival’ Lilly? More like ‘Disaster’ Lilly.

I normally like her. I don't find her other reviews do a consistent test of the same things. This one review I thought was a little off.

For comparison I would like to see her doing the very same things she is doing with an S1... with another knife. And see what happens. Any hard handle is going to crack and maybe even separate from the handle, if you bang it agains the rocks, oposed to the rubber handle of the S1, which just gets damaged in the point of impact. The steel is what it is, if you preffer toughness over edge retention, then go with a lower RC carbon steel, but then you will have to worry about rust.

I somehow agree about the seath. I like that it is non obstrusive, and as thin as it could be. But a taco style kydex seath would be only sligthly wider, thinner and provide a more secure retention.

Kind of sad to see that knife being beaten... in the WRONG way... who batons with a rock anyways?

Back