Fallkniven volcano tang!!! Weak?

It looks like your getting there, good job what handle material did you end up going with g10, linen, canvas micarta. It also looks like you have plenty of test media in those vehicles. :eek:

I used g10, earth brown. Yup I have some good batonning material!! It should be set and dry this evening after work. I need to sand it and clean it up. Then it's test time!

Hopefully I glued it correctly!! I mixed sawdust with the gflex like bluntcut suggested. Hopefully I did it right. Time will tell.

d95eef72945c5c74b7c3ea50b6158623.jpg
54c7d5ef0ad0547f60cdd2f3baef47af.jpg
2d802f9840af4a506cffd26d4c6db499.jpg
d3378d9d42cea14739930bafb131474c.jpg
it came out ok, I have a couple gaps but nothing bad! Hopefully the glue holds. I'll be doing some testing this week sometime. See how it holds up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks a little rough but it is your first attempt at it and mine probably would have looked similar I suppose. I've never tried rehandling a knife before either. I'm curious also as to how it'll hold up when batoning now. You did beef up the tang also didn't you, does it feel different in hand now?

It is a little rough, but not bad considering it's my first shot, and I'm limited on tools. I originally was planning on beefing up the tang, but then I would have had to hollow out the handle quite a bit more. To much in my opinion. It didn't seem like it was going to do anything anyway. I think the best thing would have been to silver solder a slab of steel onto the end part of the blade, and ran a full tang style handle with corby bolts. I'm very disappointed in the size of the tang. But I think it'll hold up ok, as long as I'm not busse style beating the hell out of it! That is if I put enough epoxy!!! I have a feeling I didn't. So I'll test it, and if it breaks I know what I need to do next time!

Thin tang is sort of boxed/forced by designed - draw a line from blade to tang butt. A wide tang might show-through at finger choil or else where when shaping handle. However ~6mmx7mm steel column is very strong - not easy to break a screw driver rod that large even if with prying. Key weakness would be at the conjuction blade to tang - corner radii (smaller/tighter = higher stress/sheer/split).

Thin tang is sort of boxed/forced by designed - draw a line from blade to tang butt. A wide tang might show-through at finger choil or else where when shaping handle. However ~6mmx7mm steel column is very strong - not easy to break a screw driver rod that large even if with prying. Key weakness would be at the conjuction blade to tang - corner radii (smaller/tighter = higher stress/sheer/split).
Understandable! Thanks for all your insight bluntcut. I appreciate it! I still have a lot to learn.

for the gaps, mix some of the g10 with gflex and spread/push it with a toothpick, then sand after dry.

I'll try that, thanks

247626c5f3594e711c896b1f8c89d6f5.jpg
some testing! More to come. Everything seems pretty solid

That must be some good glue too be beating on it already like that. Well one things for sure you can now say I fixed it myself. Congrats it looks to be holding up well so far.

GFlex is excellent stuff, I bet you could have used it even before a day was up. I usually glue handles on an evening, next day in the morning it's ready to work on it. Seems to be holding fine to good ole fashioned abuse! It is what I would expect of a knife in that price range, if anything I bet you made it better with that solid block of G10.

GFlex is excellent stuff, I bet you could have used it even before a day was up. I usually glue handles on an evening, next day in the morning it's ready to work on it. Seems to be holding fine to good ole fashioned abuse! It is what I would expect of a knife in that price range, if anything I bet you made it better with that solid block of G10.

Hopefully it continues. It should have been built from the factory like this. The blade is a beast at 7mm thick with that full convex grind. It feels like it should be able to handle anything thrown at it. I'll continue to beat on it!

Well , slow and patiently is answer ....................

I do not know if to me is allowed this, but ...................This summer comes my friend from USA in Macedonia and I can give to him enough big piece of solid Micarta for two handle .He will send to you when he come back in USA .......... free of course ?

I would definitely take you up on that offer. I appreciate it!

Well , my american frend is here . He fly back to USA on 30 August .I do not know how to get in touch with you without violating any rule in this forum ??

I almost feel sorry for that hunting blade.
A well executed stick tang is every bit as strong as a full tang and usually tougher than the blade which should be heat treated to a harder harder level. Anyhow well worth re-handling.
First attempt good job, mine have never looked any better but then I'm not a knife maker and only have a "builder's" toolbox and machinery.
For quantity splitting use a froe, or one of the new big blades made for such work. Even Bushcraft and Survival knives aren't really for making a wood pile of split logs.

Its fun but then any wooden handle is going to get smashed, most will take damage. Testing the luck built into the blade too; do it often enough and the luck might run out even in a very well made knife.

Back